aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Mrwick your posts here prove that to be erroneous time and time again.

Yes i proved to be wrong when telling you all JL would gross less than 300m and yet again i have proven to be wrong for suggesting avatar, for all its fantasy elements, unseen before creatures, plants and floating mountains which set long standing box office records abd suicides world wide 'creative'  Clearly its not creative because TalismanRing, a random BOT poster says so🤔

Edited by Mrwick

9 minutes ago, Mrwick said:

So you are saying avatar is not creative? 😂. This gon be fun

It's technically creative (as are many non original movies)  but it didn't do anything narratively Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas or Ferngully didn't already do except set it in space with less interesting characters.  This cannot be news to you.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

No?

We do, and count them as successful original movies, if they rival the average superhero film at the box office. See Get Out.

Fair point. Still, even if a movie is "original", no one wants to give it the label if it sucks.

24 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's technically creative (as are many non original movies)  but it didn't do anything narratively Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas or Ferngully didn't already do except set it in space with less interesting characters.  This cannot be news to you.

If its 'technically' creative then its creative. Its visually a creative masterpiece and belive it or not, visuals make up a big portion of filmmaking.

With hundreds of films being made a year, there will always be other films that did an aspect of their story first. Technically Inception is just a copy of matrix meets nighmare on elm street and therefore is not creative going by your theory.

As for less interesting characters, there was a very good reason cameron decided to make Jake Sully paralysed. It made audiences connect with him, far more than they did in the films you mentioned. 

Edited by Mrwick
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pulling off bioluminescence in a cool way and integrating technology with nature is the best thing Avatar showed. Another thing was 'prayers' being recorded by the roots and trees blurring the lines between nature and god, because 'mother goddesses' of the ancient cultures pre-date the conventional gods we have. Mata Hari of proto-Hinduism for example literally means Mother Green. The idea that centuries of generations have their voices 'saved' in nature thereby influencing while being influenced by it is a powerful one.

To use ground-breaking technology to represent these ideas is what makes Avatar a good movie for me. The story is not original. The story-telling is very much so.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 6
  • Astonished 1

21 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

...we went from Titanic to Avatar. 

Yeah this thread has turned into an Abyss, hopefully no-one else is Alienated by other peoples judgement today

Edited by Mrwick
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

7 hours ago, Christmas baumer said:

You added nothing but some ridiculous opinion admonishing people for talking about a movie that doesn't meet your approval.  

You have the patience and restraint of a saint. In any event, I do find it very interesting that a nearly 20 year old movie, which is readily available in all mediums can still pack them in. Obviously, it says something about the timelessness of the movie. I thought the movie was a bit too long, but cannot tell you where Cameron could have edited scenes out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boxofficerules said:

MV5BMTYxMzYwNzAyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDcxWhy not mention of Cameron's best movie?

James Cameron: "[They gave me directing credit] against my will. I wanted them to take it off but they wouldn't do it. The release prints were made in Italy, at Technicolor in Rome, and I was in LA, so there was nothing I could do. (...) And I didn't even write the script. So the position I have to take is, it wasn't my script and I didn't really direct it. (...) You see, I thought it was actually going to be kind of a comedy. When somebody first told me the idea, and I had already seen the first film, which was a little bit tongue-in-cheek, I thought this could actually be interesting. You know, somebody is walking down the sidewalk, they get hit by a cloud of flying piranha, and three seconds later a steaming skeleton hits the ground. It could be kid of funny, in a real macabre, George Romero kind of way "(Dark Side magazine 1992)

It's surprising that posters on a box office forum could know so little about the box office king.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

James Cameron: "[They gave me directing credit] against my will. I wanted them to take it off but they wouldn't do it. The release prints were made in Italy, at Technicolor in Rome, and I was in LA, so there was nothing I could do. (...) And I didn't even write the script. So the position I have to take is, it wasn't my script and I didn't really direct it. (...) You see, I thought it was actually going to be kind of a comedy. When somebody first told me the idea, and I had already seen the first film, which was a little bit tongue-in-cheek, I thought this could actually be interesting. You know, somebody is walking down the sidewalk, they get hit by a cloud of flying piranha, and three seconds later a steaming skeleton hits the ground. It could be kid of funny, in a real macabre, George Romero kind of way "(Dark Side magazine 1992)

It's surprising that posters on a box office forum could know so little about the box office king.

the poster was joking. but like your mentor you don't get tongue-in-cheek humor maybe :sparta:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

the poster was joking. but like your mentor you don't get tongue-in-cheek humor maybe :sparta:

I mean I realised there was a chance a good chance he was joking, but someone could read it and not know context so I just have to but the correction in the thread. I mean someone might actually go watch Piranha 2 because they saw James Cameron directed it, lets not ruin their day.

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Alita: Battle Angel

latest?cb=20150315224246

• Like 4