aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

7 minutes ago, mredman said:

so they only are getting rid of JL ?

No, they are getting rid of many things so they can bring in the maximum amount of Star Wars screens and then all the releases the following week.  

This is how it works.  Anything other than the bigger multiplexes that have a screen to spare will do everything they can to get rid of it by Dec. 14th.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, YourMother said:

It’s theater economics. Studios have contracts. With 9+ wide releases during the holidays and theaters probably keeping Coco due to Disney. JL will lose half of its theaters like Beast did over the holidays.

so why such a rude reply from EC. He could have said all the old movies are dropping from theaters.

Edited by mredman
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

No, they are getting rid of many things so they can bring in the maximum amount of Star Wars screens and then all the releases the following week.  

This is how it works.  Anything other than the bigger multiplexes that have a screen to spare will do everything they can to get rid of it by Dec. 14th.  

so all old releases got ya

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I disagree...if JL's still the #2 movie, it stays at all 10s or higher, since SW will have 6 screens (or 3 set screens and then tons of "added shows" to make those showing amounts, which is what my 2 locals are doing), Ferdinand 1, and Coco 1...JL gets 1 and then a mishmash of holdovers share the 1+ screens left...JL is there through the SW weekend at probably 3000 screens...now, the following week with all the new releases is a different thing...

EDIT: This is also known as "theaters like to keep at least one super around if they can" rule...I mean how long did Spidey hang around?:)

Edited by TwoMisfits

15 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Not going to help much when theaters are actively tanking it this weekend to get rid of it.  At this point, I can tell you Warner Bros. cares far more about Father Figures than they do Justice League.  

JL stories just begun too and most of the revenues for it are still ahead not behind (if it goes well), that movie repercusion (or lack off) on is sequels, spin-off, tv series, video games, home video business are so big.

In 2016 a rare time theatrical got over 35% or more of the movies revenues because of the so-so 2015 and really strong 2016 at the theater:

Revenus by segments:

Theatrical product:   Percentage
Film rentals  $2,180.00 39%
Home video and electronic delivery  $1,481.00 26%
Television licensing  $1,630.00 29%
Consumer products and other  $  321.00 6%

Total theatrical product  $5,612.00  

Video games:  $1,606.00  

What to do with that franchise main storylines must still be number one in many WB exec minds, the difference for them if Father Figures make 50m in profit instead of loosing 20m that one time is not nothing, but not that comparable with the DC universes global world franchise.

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Can you explain what you mean by that, does theater late in release like that cannot simply decide to remove it/not renew it with any close that make that hard, do they need to do anything for that to happen ?

FB lost 600 screens the week R1 came out, and over 1,000 the following weekend.

I would expect JL's losses to be slightly higher since it is slightly lower in dailies at this point and TLJ is a bigger movie than R1 and Disney has a guarantee for the 4 largest screens in a cinema in order to show it.

I'm thinking 800-850 the week TLJ comes out and over 1,000 the following week.

JL is trucking along at about 240-242 final depending upon how well it can hold against TLJ.

Just now, RamblinRed said:

Disney has a guarantee for the 4 largest screens in a cinema in order to show it.

Lot of theater does not have 4 screens.

That sound like a mixed up, like Empire said the conditions:

theaters to reserve at least four weeks in the largest auditorium available exclusively

4 weeks for the largest screen seem to have become the 4 largest screen.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

FB lost 600 screens the week R1 came out, and over 1,000 the following weekend.

I would expect JL's losses to be slightly higher since it is slightly lower in dailies at this point and TLJ is a bigger movie than R1 and Disney has a guarantee for the 4 largest screens in a cinema in order to show it.

I'm thinking 800-850 the week TLJ comes out and over 1,000 the following week.

JL is trucking along at about 240-242 final depending upon how well it can hold against TLJ.

Where do you see 4 largest screen guarantee - it's a 4 week guarantee on a screen, but I don't see the "you must book your 4 biggest theaters for 4 weeks" to get this, at least not in this piece...https://www.marketplace.org/2017/11/07/world/disney-s-star-wars-terms-financial-burden-small-theaters

I mean, one of my locals is literally only preselling SW8 on 2 screens (except Thursday) and the other on 3 screens...and I'm not sure they are "guaranteeing more" yet...

EDIT: In fact, the terms could actually help the holdovers...if you have to give up more money to show something and keep it longer, you might underbook demand slightly and then try to keep enough movies at the right time to make up for a few Star Wars tickets you aren't selling...it's probably more profitable to split a screen with 4 movies that are still pretty popular than to give Star Wars yet another screen for 4 weeks that you might want for an unexpected Christmas or awards season breakout...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Week
2017/11/24 1 $50,802,605   3,987 $12,742   $72,908,930 1
2017/12/01 1 $27,533,304 -46% 3,987 $6,906   $110,108,708 2

2017/12/01 1 $6,284,319 +208% 3,987 $1,576   $88,859,723 10
2017/12/02 1 $11,867,693 +89% 3,987 $2,977   $100,727,416 11
2017/12/03 1 $9,381,292 -21% 3,987 $2,353   $110,108,708 12

:ohmygod:

• Like 3