DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

40 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It is kinda crazy to think that Disney really just wants them for two franchises. I mean take out Avatar and X-Men and their interest would probably be at 0%. 

Not really.  They want all of the back catalogue of the movies and TV shows as well plus the sports and and all the future movies and TV shows for their streaming service.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeeReyEgonnnnn said:

Not really.  They want all of the back catalogue of the movies and TV shows as well plus the sports and and all the future movies and TV shows for their streaming service.

Many mentioned local sport media structure involved here, but because of ESPN I thought that Disney would get nothing sport related to not raise anti-trust issue ?

57 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It is kinda crazy to think that Disney really just wants them for two franchises. I mean take out Avatar and X-Men and their interest would probably be at 0%. 

This is so wrong. Why is everyone just talking abou Fox's franchises and IPs? Disney's intention is far more than that.

Fox is not like Lucasfilm or Pixar. Lucasfilm and Pixar are just production studios. Fox produces film and is a major major distributor. Fox is one of the biggest OS distributors right now.

Distribution power is a critical reason why the Big Six becomes the Big Six.

Edited by vc2002

33 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

In terms of their potential value to Disney then yes. But not by current value. 

Exactly. The F4 franchise ,as handled by Fox has been a massive undercheiver. I think only the first of the Three FF films under Fox made a profit.

The second failed at the box office, and the 2015 reboot bombed as badly as a film can bomb.

16 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Will Disney have Avatar and Star Wars alternate years or be real assholes and release both in the same?

Disney will do whatever they think will make them the most money (as will every studio).

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Many mentioned local sport media structure involved here, but because of ESPN I thought that Disney would get nothing sport related to not raise anti-trust issue ?

They won't get Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2. They will get all of Fox's regional sports networks ("RSNs"). The RSNs are an area where Disney has no foot-print and Fox is a leader. So there is no anti-trust issue there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

This is so wrong. Why is everyone talking abou Fox's franchises and IPs? Disney's intention is far more than that.

Fox is not like Lucasfilm or Pixar. Lucasfilm and Pixar are just production studios. Fox produce film and is a major major distributor. Fox is one of the biggest OS distributors right now.

Distribution power is a critical reason why the Big Six becomes the Big Six.

Because this is a pretty fanboy oriented web site.

]

1 minute ago, Walt Disney said:

They won't get Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2. They will get all of Fox's regional sports networks ("RSNs"). The RSNs are an area where Disney has no foot-print and Fox is a leader. So there is no anti-trust issue there.

Ok thanks that was the distinction I didn't got.

30 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You do realize Marvel Studios will make F4 into another Guardians of the Galaxy A-list franchise eventually?

The potential is there, but I was going by how well they have performed for Fox. And F4 have, except for the first film, not performed well for Fox. And in reference to the 2015 film, that is a understatement of galactic proportions.

1 hour ago, Warmaster506 said:

Will Disney have Avatar and Star Wars alternate years or be real assholes and release both in the same?

Do it the same year just to savages. Bully other studios into submission.

• Haha 1

On 12/7/2017 at 11:24 AM, KeepItU25071906 said:

They spent for Fantastic Four,  X-Men, Avatar, etc. Not r-rated movies and Searchlight.

You're welcome.

For 60 billion, eh?    Wise use of their money.    *cue Disney investors selling all their stock*

On 12/7/2017 at 11:45 AM, damnitgeorge08 said:

I just wanted to talk about global warming. Your whole comment was if it's not happening to me it is not happening. There's a great Leonardo di'caprio's documentary about it, I highly recommend it. Also why are you not talking about doom and gloom prediction that came true. Mortage crisis, middle east, airlines, internet providers, vietnam, trump.

No my comment was about the predictions for global warming which did not come true.  They were of course replaced with all new and improved doomsday predictions.   This is pretty much an annual event.   Same thing happened with other religions in the past.   Doomsday is coming...the earth is doomed...and of course it is the fault of humans.   (We are always dooming the planet with our "sins"...that's a favorite with doomsayers)

Leo is one of the biggest hypocrites in history.   I'll just follow his lead with my carbon footprint.   I'll need to increase it at least 10x though to keep up with him.

There are always going to be negative things happening in the world.   The mortgage crisis happened and then ended.   Those who sold their 401ks when the stock market fell to 7000 now look like idiots since the stock market is currently above 24,000.    Doomsayers were wrong again.

I don't see any issue with internet providers.   We all appear to be using the internet just fine.

The Middle East has been screwed up for centuries but is actually improving over time.

The Trump stuff is eye rolling.   Supposedly the world is coming to an end again just because the "other party" won the White House.   Heard the same nonsense when Obama was elected twice.   Everything was supposedly getting worse and we were doomed.   (yawn)   Same with Bush before that and Clinton before that.  Meanwhile if you turn off the news everything continues as before with the usual improvements over time.   No idea why people keep falling for that same stuff over and over.

23 hours ago, dudalb said:

Yeah, pretty much. you are also seeing a great deal of pure ignorance about how the film business. or any business for that matter operates.

My main concern is that Disney has , for a decade, seemed uninterested in backing more seriouis films (the way they used to with Miramax and Hollywood films) and  seldom takes chances or material that  might not be the most commericial in the world. Fox, on the other hand has. Fox Searchlight has been one of the main funders for indie films,and even Fox will take the occasional chance on a mid budget film that does not scream crowd pleaser like the upcoming "The Post".

Maybe Disney will change, go back to the 90's when, for all the many mistakes he  made, Eisner was willing to let Miramax do it's thing,maybe Disnwy won't. That is my main concern about the deal.

But agree some of the paranoia in this thread is over the top.And some of the Anti Capitalist rhetoric is just plain silly. I don't think Disney acqueinf Fox Studios constitutes a "Monopoly." The issue is not how big a company becomes, but how to keep them from abusing their power.

And it's not like The Mouse is plotting to take over the world. They are in it to make a buck. That is why you Avatar fans can rest easy. Disney is smart enough to what Cameron do his own thing, given how lucrative that has been.

Well if Disney did that in the past...and buys the studio that does what they used to do.....what does logic say about that?

Would it be more logical to claim they are buying them to shut it down or that they will have all the infrastructure in place to make those kinds of movies again?    All the pain that it would normally take to start up an operation like that would be done for them with Searchlight.

Disney bought Marvel and Pixar and didn't shut them down.  With Pixar, they could have shut them down to help the Disney animation studio if they were of that mindset.   They gave them the freedom to do what they want too.    The last Pixar movie before Disney was Cars (yuck) so their winning streak was over before Disney.   They've had some stumbles since but have also released Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up, Toy Story 3, Inside Out, and Coco.   They obviously gave Marvel the freedom to do what they want.   Heck...they put Feige in a bigger position of power.

18 hours ago, grey ghost said:

You do realize Marvel Studios will make F4 into another Guardians of the Galaxy A-list franchise eventually?

If this deal goes through, I see a club about how much Marvel will increase the box office for FF and X-men.

Edited by Harpospoke
  • Like 2