DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

It s like some of you discover today how capitalism  & corporations work.

Because, sure, whatever you are acusing Disney of, it s not like the exact same is happenning in any other business all over the world.

Disney is the Evil Empire sure, but Samsung, Google, Coca Cola Co., Oracle, Toyota, Shell, Goldman Sachs etc etc etc or any of the 1000+ giant corporations that control most of the global business are fair & kind and loving and understanding and respectful  and sing songs about rainbows in the morning.

What kind of strawmen is this, do you really believe any of what you just wrote, that people writing possible negative future consequence of this deal does not know about Samsung, Google, Coca Cola, Oracle, Toyota, Shell, Goldman Sachs and many others sector (many worst, Neon making is tight 3 player oligopoly were I am from, snow removal for cities for example was much worst in term of corruption and controls just not as fun one to talk about).

People happen to speak about this situation and not other because it is currently happening and because it is a movie message boards.

Serious question, are you just trolling or really believing anything you just wrote would be eye opening to anyone reading ?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, B D Joe said:

They plan to keep Fox Searchlight running but for how long?  Deadpool stays R-rated but how many R-rated franchises will they create in the future?

Blade

Moonnight

Thunderbolts

Also give me Taskmaster vs. Deadpool.  That is all.

I'm wonder if Disney will reboot Home Alone. Also they technically own Buffy and Firefly now something that might peek Joss Whedon' s interest.

Edited by Heat Vision

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

What kind of strawmen is this, do you really believe any of what you just wrote, that people writing possible negative future consequence of this deal does not know about Samsung, Google, Coca Cola, Oracle, Toyota, Shell, Goldman Sachs and many others sector (many worst, Neon making is tight 3 player oligopoly were I am from, snow removal for cities for example was much worst in term of corruption and controls just not as fun one to talk about).

People happen to speak about this situation and not other because it is currently happening and because it is a movie message boards.

Serious question, are you just trolling or really believing anything you just wrote would be eye opening to anyone reading ?

I think you've been around long enough to know how Futurist works

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

Blade

Moonnight

Thunderbolts

Also give me Taskmaster vs. Deadpool.  That is all.

I'm wonder if Disney will reboot Home Alone. Also they technically own Buffy and Firefly now something that might peek Joss Whedon' s interest.

More likely instead of R-rated films, they give those characters a TV series on their streaming service.

11 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I think you are a smart man so you should know that things rarely work by definition.

We both know what I am saying but If you don't want to call it a monopoly well it's OK don't..

There are some words with nebulous meaning. "Monopoly" is not one of them. This forum is the first place where I've ever seen the word used incorrectly so many times, and I do a lot of reading. When you call Disney a monopoly, what it suggests to anyone who is actually familiar with the term is that you have no idea what monopoly means, or you have no idea about what the Disney+Fox market share will actually be, or both. If you're okay with that, then by all means keep using the word according to your own personal definition.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Notable Film Series

Planet of the Apes

Alien

Predator

Home Alone 

Die Hard

Independence Day

Kingsman

Ice Age

Rio

The Fly 

Night at the Museum

Romancing the Stone

Notable TV Series

The Simpson

Family Guy

American Dad

Futurama

24/24:Legacy

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Firefly

The X-Files

Legion 

The Gifted

American Horror Story

Fargo

Empire

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I think you are a smart man so you should know that things rarely work by definition.

We both know what I am saying but If you don't want to call it a monopoly well it's OK don't..

I know what you're saying.  I'm simply saying you were wrong.

And yes, things work by definition.  I was already being generous by defining a monopoly by 90% market power, many industrial economists are even more stingy with their definition for a monopoly.  

I'm also saying the roughly 30-40% market share Disney-Fox will have (possibly less, as we shouldn't expect Disney to crank out as many movies with Fox as they were, and there's a good chance Sony, Paramount or WB start producing more) is not going to create an uncompetitive environment where the other major studios can't keep up and compete.

Edited by The Last Panda
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

There are some words with nebulous meaning. "Monopoly" is not one of them. This forum is the first place where I've ever seen the word used incorrectly so many times, and I do a lot of reading. When you call Disney a monopoly, what it suggests to anyone who is actually familiar with the term is that you have no idea what monopoly means, or you have no idea about what the Disney+Fox market share will actually be, or both. If you're okay with that, then by all means keep using the word according to your own personal definition.

As you know, I am not a native english speaker so it is impossible for me to know exactly how the word is used. I should have backed off based on that alone.

The reason that I insisted is that the word is basically identical to the greek word ("μονοπώλιο") it comes from, which as I said describes a corporation that dominates 100% of the market, something that is impossible in today's world.

Anyway, I think that we both know what I mean and I acknowledge that I didn't have to insist when I am not an english native speaker.

• Like 2

They already said they'll keep the Rated R/Searchlight films, so the whole "artistic doomsday" is on hold until they actually do something. They need those kind of movies for streaming.

I wonder if they'll use Fox to make horror movies, though. Universal has BH and WB has The conjuring, both of which have been highly profitable and streaming-friendly. 

Now, the ones that should worry are theaters and Netflix. This is basically the biggest player in town saying "Streaming is the future and theaters are done"

13 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Yep, there will be no monopoly, far from it. It's an overreaction tainted by anti-Disney feelings, nothing else.

This is complete bullshit.

This isn't an overreaction. Y'all act like people hate Disney. They're one of the most profitable companies in the world.

People are reacting negatively because this is going to put a lot of people out of work, and will lead to a more noncompetitive market.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Y'all act like people hate Disney.

When it is one of the top 10 most loved company on america (and that the main feeling creating the main storyline about it), if Disney was an hated company without any emotional love, the reaction could be different (imagine if it was comcast pushing the net non-neutrality and this at the same time....)

3 minutes ago, mredman said:

is this even allowed since their are MONOPOLY laws in place ?

They did try to minimize any part  of the deal that would go against them, they will not acquire the network or the national sports coverage to not create conflict with NBC or espn, will not acquire the news division, it could go through.

Let's discuss things then without the "monopoly claims" and see what are the big franchises that other studios own nowadays. Not to get in needless arguments, I count as a "strong" franchise one that can make at least +$700m WW.

-Warner Bros

• Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts
  • DCEU comics.
  • IT (?!)

-Universal

• Jurrasic World
  • Despicable Me/Minions
  • Fast and Fourious

-Sony

• Bond (!??)

-Paramount

• Transformers (??!)

And now let us look at disney;

• Star Wars
  • Marvel Cinematic (what the owned before the deal)
  • WDAS
  • Pixar
  • Live action adaptations of animated classics
  • Spider Man
  • X-men (Deadpool)
  • Pirates of the Caribean

I am really curious as to how you guys can see potential competition..

Edited by FantasticBeasts