Ezen Baklattan

Golden Globes Discussion Thread

Globes have always loved McDonagh, I think Rockwell might take it. I think Hanks actually wins Best Actor at the Globes - they really went for the Post more than CMBYN, the Globes love stars, and Oldman hates them (and the feeling is apparently mutual, but you couldn't deny him in that category this year). 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Or they go all in on Plummer lmao.

That Actor Drama category kinda gives me a headache. CMBYN certainly underperformed here, but will they give it to someone who has always talked shit about the HFPA (and is his film's sole nomination here, at that)?

12 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Globes have always loved McDonagh, I think Rockwell might take it. I think Hanks actually wins Best Actor at the Globes - they really went for the Post more than CMBYN, the Globes love stars, and Oldman hates them (and the feeling is apparently mutual, but you couldn't deny him in that category this year). 

I also wouldn't be surprised if they threw DDL a bone simply because it's his "final" performance.

I don't think Holly Hunter is done yet, because she seems to show up in Supporting Actress at all of the other precursors right alongside Metcalf and Janney. I do think that The Big Sick has pretty much lost its steam in every other category though.

Likewise, The Florida Project missed quite a bit, but I really don't think the film is completely dead. Thanks to Dafoe and all the precursors, it's still in the race for sure. It definitely has a shot at being the Beasts of the Southern Wild of 2017.

The Breadwinner and Loving Vincent should absolutely be locks for the Animated Feauture category at this rate. If either of them miss, we know exactly why.

I thought Loveless had a very strong chance of making Foreign Language because the director's last film, Leviathian, won the category three years back. I think it'll actually manage to win as well.

Blade Runner 2049's miss in Score is sad. Maybe they didn't want to nominate Zimmer twice or something.

All The Money in the World will be able to add its Globe nominations to its advertising just before its theatrical release. I think it'll end up giving the film an extra push box-office-wise when all is said and done.

The Shape of Water has the most nominations total here. I think it's shaping up to continue to succeed. Also, I think Octavia Spencer should be fine getting into Supporting Actress, and Richard Jenkins has pretty much secured his place above Michael Shannon as a representative of the film. My bold prediction is that it also receives the most nominations for the Oscars as well.

And I knew that fifth nominee for Actress in Comedy/Musical was wide open for someone random. I thought it could've been Bening if the filmmakers wanted to campaign Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool for comedy, but Helen Mirren is a good choice. I knew there had to be someone that could be a viable candidate over Emma Watson. Phew.

6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

If anything I'm glad to see The Shape of Water has the most nominations. It's really made an amazing comeback. I also say Jenkins may be a lock for a best supporting actor nomination. 

Yeah, I think buzz for the film dying down for a bit after the Venice premiere really helped it. Also agree about Jenkins. After Dafoe/Rockwell/Hammer, those last two spots are completely up for grabs.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, I think buzz for the film dying down for a bit after the Venice premiere really helped it. Also agree about Jenkins. After Dafoe/Rockwell/Hammer, those last two spots are completely up for grabs.

I would gander the supporting actor nominations would be Dafoe / Hammer / Rockwell / Jenkins / and maybe some random choice like Stuhlbarg and or possibly Plummer (long shot though). I'd also say supporting actor is the only category with a locked down winner, since Dafeo's basically winning everything. 

5 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I would gander the supporting actor nominations would be Dafoe / Hammer / Rockwell / Jenkins / and maybe some random choice like Stuhlbarg and or possibly Plummer (long shot though). I'd also say supporting actor is the only category with a locked down winner, since Dafeo's basically winning everything. 

The category seems to be averse to double nominees (last time it happened was Bugsy 26 years ago), and it's clear that Hammer will be the one that gets nominated if it comes down to the two, so I'm ready to write Stuhlbarg off, despite being in three Best Picture nominees this year. I still feel like we'll get a surprise like Bob Odenkirk, if The Post starts to gain traction around that time.

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The category seems to be averse to double nominees (last time it happened was Bugsy 26 years ago), and it's clear that Hammer will be the one that gets nominated if it comes down to the two, so I'm ready to write Stuhlbarg off, despite being in three Best Picture nominees this year. I still feel like we'll get a surprise like Bob Odenkirk, if The Post starts to gain traction around that time.

I think it'll depend which film they go gaga for. Maybe Odenkirk, it's hard to say, since the fifth spot is really up for grabs at this point. 

And here’s some really big news out today’s Globe noms for Sony, which proved if you suck up to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association by showing your movie to them, and only them, you can reap some rewards. This was a highly unusual case with Ridley Scott’s All the Money in the World, the film that, in an unprecedented move, went back into production in November to replace Kevin Spacey with Christopher Plummer. The film was still shooting just two weeks ago, but the HFPA agreed to stretch its voting deadline to allow Sony and its TriStar label to screen a very wet rough cut of the movie for HFPA members in NY and LA just last Monday morning. The completed film doesn’t even have its first screenings for everyone else until this coming weekend and at its world premiere next Monday, but the special attention for Globes voters shows their importance in the scheme of awards-season strategy and resulted in three nominations: Director for Scott (probably just for pulling this feat off at age 80), Supporting Actor Plummer (turning 88 on Wednesday) and Actress in a Drama for Michelle Williams, the latter very impressive since that race is so crowded this year. All the Money in the Budget paid off for the Culver City lot and its Hail Mary pass at saving this Christmas Day release. It could make things very interesting come January 7, when the Globe winners are revealed.

I would say at the very least Plummer becomes a real threat. There was universal praise for his performance from HFPA members I talked to at various events in the past few days. Plummer’s nomination has to be eligible for the Guinness Book of Records as the fastest for an actor from getting signed for the role to announcement of nomination (Deadline sprang the news November 8). This is all we will hear about the film awards-wise until Oscar nominations because members of SAG (which reveals its nominations Wednesday) were unable to see the film in time for consideriation as its balloting has been open since even before the film went back into production to shoot Plummer’s scenes.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/golden-globe-movies-wide-open-race-1202224125/

lol. Never change, Golden Globes.

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Post isn't that low. Your current method of predicting is unique but pretty flawed :lol: 

Rockwell will more than likely win here. They liked 3B much more than CMBYN.

The Post hasn't been big with the Critic noms.  It'll obviously change positions as guild noms come in.

My method also doesn't have Pfieffer getting a nod.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Last Panda said:

Unless Odenkirk gets a SAG, he's not getting in.  Stewart and Stuhlberg are bigger threats.

Tom Hardy got nominated two years ago despite missing all of the precursors. Same with Laura Dern the year before that. Sometimes, it happens.

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Ansel Elgort is the out of nowhere nominee nobody saw coming. CELEBRATE @Ethan Hunt YOUR BOY HAS MADE IT!

I called it yesterday. He's poised to be an A-listed shortly. His movies are not only box office hits, but critics hits too. His next movie sounds awards worthy too. This guy is the next big star.

• Like 1