Ezen Baklattan

Golden Globes Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

Lololol, I'm iffy on how much I should weight the predictive value of the globes after these nods.  There's not much of an actual reason why they should be predicative.

Seriously. Nominating Plummer is so something they would do.

But hey, nothing will ever be as embarrassing as those The Tourist nominations.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

You're only saying this because Peele missed both of his categories :sparta: 

Some pretty odd snubs and inclusions all around (plus I'm wondering how much of Peele missing has to do with his griping about being in best comedy).  BPM missed foreign, All the Money in the World getting in, The Big Sick being shut out, Washington getting in, etc.

Still giving it more weight than Critics Choice (which is what I'm currently weighting the highest) though.

Some observations:

The Big Sick is done. Holly Hunter still has a shot at SAG and the Oscars, but she's probably fifth at best.

It's not uncommon for Screenplay to lean heavily towards one side (2008 was all adapted nominees; also the 5 Oscar nominees, mind you!), but at least one winner is always present here. Original Screenplay is safely between The Post, Lady Bird, and Three Billboards now.

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Some observations:

The Big Sick is done. Holly Hunter still has a shot at SAG and the Oscars, but she's probably fifth at best.

It's not uncommon for Screenplay to lean heavily towards one side (2008 was all adapted nominees; also the 5 Oscar nominees, mind you!), but at least one winner is always present here. Original Screenplay is safely between The Post, Lady Bird, and Three Billboards now.

Call Me by Your Name is the present winner.  It's premature to say Get Out isn't in contention for a Screenplay win.  When looking at weighted collected wins (meaning Globes and Critics Choice get much more weight than individual critic circles) so far, Get Out is still leading by a comfortable margin (and that's putting all screenplay nods into one cat).

I'd still predict Get Out to win Screenplay in February, as of right now.

I also still have The Big Sick at number 9, though it's getting a lot of extra weight from its Critics Choice and AFI appearances (although both are also good indicators).

However, I am not convinced there will be 9 nominees.  As of now, the cumulative rankings for BP nods so far have The Post at 8 sitting comfortably ahead of the Big Sick, yet competitively close with Dunkirk, Three Billboards and The Shape of Water (With Get Out, Call Me By Your Name, Lady Bird all relatively competitive for the number 1 slot, and The Florida Project between those groups)

If you weight the cumulative awards systems they would have predicted all of the BP winners this decade I believe (besides maybe Moonlight depending on how you weight the awards, but then the non-weighted cumulative system would predict Moonlight).  However, it's obviously early as we don't have any guilds to factor in.

Edited by The Last Panda

Aw, look at that: Golden Globes, once again, proving they aren’t really an award show, rather a giant party boardcast by NBC for a cheap AD / cash grab. 

I am side eying Best Director so hard. That is not how you spell Greta Gerwig, Dees Rees, Patty Jenkins, or Jordan Peele!!!

44 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

Lololol, I'm iffy on how much I should weight the predictive value of the globes after these nods.  There's not much of an actual reason why they should be predicative.

No need to be salty.

Get Out deserved a screenplay nod more than a Best Comedy nod. Take out the TSA best friend and the movie is mostly humorless. 3 Billboards is much more of a comedy than it and it got dropped into Drama.

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

Not really, if anything it's the Nocturnal Animals of this year where it made a stronger showing than expected.

Chistopher just kicked Patrick out from top 5 for me, I guess kevin buzz just strike in right time for attention, i can say patrick's oscar buzz is dead now....except for martin for 3B, all others director nominees are pretty big name in industry....hope steven won't get in in the end at oscar, he has enough gold/nom for his career....

31 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

As of now, the cumulative rankings for BP nods so far have The Post at 8

The Post isn't that low. Your current method of predicting is unique but pretty flawed :lol: 

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wonder if Dafoe stands much of a chance at winning here (probably the only televised award he won't win). A part of me thinks they'll go for Hammer, especially after that surprise ATJ win (on top of his already surprising nom) last year.

Rockwell will more than likely win here. They liked 3B much more than CMBYN.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Rockwell will more than likely win here. They liked 3B much more than CMBYN.

Or they go all in on Plummer lmao.

That Actor Drama category kinda gives me a headache. CMBYN certainly underperformed here, but will they give it to someone who has always talked shit about the HFPA (and is his film's sole nomination here, at that)?