Eric S'ennui

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

7 hours ago, upprdeck said:

so how are they able to even know if you stayed for a complete movie anyway? the movie pass once its off isn't tracking and sending anything out.

Seem like a close if they caught theater employee/mail worker with a theater next door using them every day to accumulate points without ever going to the movie more than something to track a general client going out of a movie that he does not like.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/01/is-moviepass-here-to-stay/551741/

Of interest to me was this... "I’ve visited multiple indie theaters like the Metrograph and IFC Center in New York since the price cut and noticed that their ticket sellers keep a tally of MoviePass users—sometimes it’s half of the audience for a single showing, sometimes higher."

That's an effect - it's no surprise these theaters then came on board revenue-sharing so fast, while big chains have been slow...these theaters have probably been steps away from major financial issues, and this program might be the ultimate lifeline for them... 

I dont know if america has this but with cineworld you get secret screenings which is essentially them inviting you to a film thats not yet been released whilst they email you clues as to what it is. Its quite cool and i got to see Apes 2 early because of it

Cineworld Unlimited Card is amazing.

I’ve been telling you guys on here for years, but it is great.

You can book in advance, days, weeks if you want. Select your seats. Plus you can have 3 films booked at a time.

No 3D surcharge. For IMAX you only pay the surcharge. Advance Screenings for Unlimited members only. Surprise screenings where you don’t know the film. 

25% off all food and drinks in the cinema after a year too. 

I’ve had one for about 8 years. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 2

17 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Cineworld Unlimited Card is amazing.

I’ve been telling you guys on here for years, but it is great.

You can book in advance, days, weeks if you want. Select your seats. Plus you can have 3 films booked at a time.

No 3D surcharge. For IMAX you only pay the surcharge. Advance Screenings for Unlimited members only. Surprise screenings where you don’t know the film. 

25% off all food and drinks in the cinema after a year too. 

I’ve had one for about 8 years. 

And, unlike movie pass, you can watch as many movies as you like in one day. Once in a while it's good to punish them for the word Unlimited. 

• Like 2

http://deadline.com/2018/02/moviepass-oscar-nominees-box-office-shape-of-water-i-tonya-three-billboards-outside-ebbing-missouri-1202280191/

MoviePass reports this morning that the monthly movie ticket service has generated $128.7 million for select film nominees since November 2017.

MoviePass’ percentage of domestic box office sales for Best Picture nominees include Sony Pictures Classics’ Call Me By Your Name at 8.79% ($1.1M), A24’s Lady Bird at 6.18% ($2.7M),  Fox Searchlight’s Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri at 6.89% ($2.8M), The Shape of Water at 7.87% ($3.5M) and The Post at 5.57% ($3.7M). In addition to best picture nominees, MoviePass contributed 11.48% for I, Tonya ($2.5M), and 7.57% for The Square ($106K). [Reporter’s note: MoviePass provided the percentage figures in their release, and Deadline did the box office math].

Note that distributors, when they’re looking at their hourly ticket sales in ComScore’s box office system, cannot specifically see what MoviePass is accounting for at the box office. MoviePass has access to that B.O. intel. One distributor adding up the above math this morning to $16.4M, begs the question “What other nominee this season is generating $112.4M?”

“MoviePass is actively driving movie-goers to the theater at a critical moment in the year,” said Mitch Lowe, CEO of MoviePass. “At a time with ‘For Your Consideration’ billboards up all over Tinseltown, we are promoting these pictures to our MoviePass subscribers. Because of MoviePass, I believe more people are connected with these films now and MoviePass has created more exposure for these nominees and the Oscars.”

“We are just testing the waters to establish what is possible for MoviePass to contribute to the success of the film and movie theater industries,” said Ted Farnsworth, Chairman and CEO of Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc. (Nasdaq: HMNY), which acquired a majority stake in MoviePass in 2017. “Over the last three weeks, MoviePass contributed 4.6%, 5.6%, and respectively 5.7% last week to total nationwide box office. As we continue to see accelerated growth of the MoviePass subscribers and the continued shift in the Movie Theater landscape, we are very excited to watch consumers attach to our product and brand and use their MoviePass. I believe we can serve as a catalyst for success in the entire movie industry.”

• Like 3

http://deadline.com/2018/02/moviepass-oscar-nominees-box-office-shape-of-water-i-tonya-three-billboards-outside-ebbing-missouri-1202280191/

Similar to the late Andy Rooney, I received a lot of mail this morning from those questioning MoviePass’ claims that they delivered close to $128.7M of the domestic box office toward this year’s Oscar-nominated films.

The monthly movie ticket organization was forthcoming in their original press release with the B.O. percentages that they generated for a slew of Oscar nominees since November (you can read those in the previous update), however, all these titles amounted to $16.4M. A distribution boss rang us to ask “What other nominee this season is generating $112.4M?” Good question.

So we went back to MoviePass with our concerns and CEO Mitch Lowe expounded on the following clarification and correction:

“We bought $110 million worth of tickets since the $9.95 plan was launched in August 2017, and the halo effect generated another $146 million in ticket sales totaling $256 million in ticket purchases. The halo effect is a combination of MoviePass members bringing Non-MP members to the film and referring additional friends who went to the movies. Roughly 50% of the tickets purchased were for Oscar nominated films, which is how we arrived at the $128M figure,” said Lowe.

More specifically, per our phone conversation with Lowe, 44% of the $110M (or $48.5M) that MoviePass has spent since August came from Oscar-nominated films. This includes all nominees, not just those in the above-the-line categories, so Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Coco, Blade Runner 2049, Dunkirk, etc.

Now, 70% of those who were MoviePass subscribers brought a friend, that is a person who didn’t have MoviePass and literally paid out of their own pocket at the box office. The monthly ticket org is saying that those plus-ones spent another $146M at the box office. Of that box office figure, MoviePass says that $80.2M was spent on Oscar-nominated films and –yes– they’re laying claim to being the catalyst for that figure. So, $80.2M + $48.5M= $128.7M.

Far more than when the Screening Room rocked Hollywood with its PVOD experiment, MoviePass has created a lot of noise in the film industry in recent months, and they’ve created quite a division between those who embrace them or loathe them. The monthly movie ticket service is seeking a share of film tickets and concession revenue from exhibition operators, while selling studios on their movie marketing services and audience data.  Some fear that MoviePass is bound to shake up the movie ticket model to the point where consumers will only attend if they’re paying a monthly movie ticket price. Others snipe that MoviePass cares more about subscriptions than selling tickets; and that their recent fight with AMC over big theater coverage is a sign that they’re scrambling. The big question is whether the company can reduce their deficit and buoy their subscriptions as they look to hit 3 million by this summer. The company’s longevity lies in a majority of its subscribers in the long run infrequently attending the movies.

• Like 1

I'd be far more interested to know how much of the gross it has been for stuff like Jumanji or Showman. $3.7m is the most it's added to any of those movies they did the breakdown for. And again, that's not all money that wouldn't have been there without MP's existence. Case and point: I've seen Lady Bird and 3B since I got my MP, but would have seen them with or without it. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1