Eric Quinn

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

6 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'd be far more interested to know how much of the gross it has been for stuff like Jumanji or Showman. $3.7m is the most it's added to any of those movies they did the breakdown for. And again, that's not all money that wouldn't have been there without MP's existence. Case and point: I've seen Lady Bird and 3B since I got my MP, but would have seen them with or without it. 

They want to make deals on the small movies, so they haven't mentioned the big ones...but you can do their Math and find out what the "big movies" get:)...

39 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

They want to make deals on the small movies, so they haven't mentioned the big ones...but you can do their Math and find out what the "big movies" get:)...

5-8% like most of those Oscar movies of Jumanji would be $21-28m. I fail to see how that would be possible with their current subscription base. Would mean everyone who has an MP went and saw it and a large chunk saw it multiple times. For the bigger grossing movies the percentage of total gross I'm sure is much smaller. I'd guess $2-6m is what it's adding to most of the wide releases. 

Further proving the point, that second report says MP has bought $110m worth of tickets since August of last year. So 21-28% of that certainly isn't from Jumanji alone. I'd be shocked if any given movie has cracked $7m in MP gross. Maybe TLJ. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

One month with no sale or holiday and they got another 500K in subscribers...the speed they are generating subscribers is insane...

"Free money! Come get your free money!" is a pretty damn good pitch.

(Especially when people you know are, in fact, getting that free money already.)

Edited by MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie

53 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

5-8% like most of those Oscar movies of Jumanji would be $21-28m. I fail to see how that would be possible with their current subscription base. Would mean everyone who has an MP went and saw it and a large chunk saw it multiple times. For the bigger grossing movies the percentage of total gross I'm sure is much smaller. I'd guess $2-6m is what it's adding to most of the wide releases. 

Further proving the point, that second report says MP has bought $110m worth of tickets since August of last year. So 21-28% of that certainly isn't from Jumanji alone. I'd be shocked if any given movie has cracked $7m in MP gross. Maybe TLJ. 

Here's the thing...most of the ticket purchases are back-ended to Dec on...so, if you break the tickets by subscriber growth, you'd have 50% in Jan (as it went from 1-2 M subscribers), 25% in Dec (from 500K-1M), and only 25% for late Aug-Nov (10K-500K)...so totally possible for Jumanji to have those kind of numbers b/c these folks saw something in the market on these tickets, and we know the total they spent on the limiteds...

18 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Here's the thing...most of the ticket purchases are back-ended to Dec on...so, if you break the tickets by subscriber growth, you'd have 50% in Jan (as it went from 1-2 M subscribers), 25% in Dec (from 500K-1M), and only 25% for late Aug-Nov (10K-500K)...so totally possible for Jumanji to have those kind of numbers b/c these folks saw something in the market on these tickets, and we know the total they spent on the limiteds...

We know all the Oscar noms did $48m out of the $110m, which includes TLJ. $28m from Jumanji would be absurdly high and leave only $34m from all the other non-Oscar movies. And again, I still don't see how it's remotely feasible for 2m subscribers to contribute to a number that large. 

Edited by MovieMan89

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, surely there'd be some legal recourse at this point if they go under in the next month.

It's actually almost $25 more than the annual Costco deal they ran before Xmas once you add in the $20 annual fee on top of the monthly one...but it's well advertised to seem cheaper and to try to keep pushing sign ups...

I told my (older) cousin about MoviePass yesterday, she hadn't heard of it. She was like, "Where have I been?!?" So I explained it to her, she signed up, and immediately told her four daughters about it and two of them are signing up too. It kind of spreads like wildfire. I bet you she's one of those who will take advantage early but then ultimately not win out. She told me she hasn't been to a movie in months, "maybe even a year, gosh, I can't remember." Yet she was all excited about it... which is funny to me... and said she mainly avoids going because it's so expensive. I can see someone like that going 2-3 times a month for a few months, then down to once a month, then just back to her usual habit of maybe 4-5 movies a year but not canceling because it's like a security blanket, "In case I want to see something, it's FREE!" (sorta, not really free, but that's how people think -- it's good psychology).

I don't say this in a bragging way, but I've been fortunate in life that movie tickets are never something that would enter into my consideration of financial issues. I mean, when I think about being a bit more careful with my money, it's like not spending a few hundred bucks on collectibles or maybe cutting down on eating out as much, or no big purchases like no new computer for a while, no new iPad, stuff like that. Spending $50-75 on movie tickets per month isn't something I care about or think about whatsoever, especially because it's part of being a filmmaker and I consider that an essential expense to be on top of what's coming out. So for me, MoviePass doesn't really encourage me to go see more movies, maybe a few here and there I take a chance on, but it does just directly save me money.

I have only seen a few new movies this year, but I've seen The Last Jedi enough times with MoviePass to make it way more than a great deal already. Once TLJ is gone those viewings will be replaced by other things. Typically if SW wasn't in theaters I'd have already seen 12 Strong and maybe Den of Thieves but I didn't bother. The other thing is for me, this time of the year is not a time I go to theaters much at all. It has nothing to do with what's playing and everything to do with the fact the studios send me all of these awards films anyway so there's nothing TO see. I've already seen them all by the time they hit theaters. But once March rolls around and you start getting more worthy movies than Winchester and Insidious 17, and the awards movies are mostly gone, then I'll be back to 4-6 movies a month.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

They have every right to terminate accounts if they are in fact being abused.

It also will convince tons of others to not try to skirt the rules - if you never enforce the rules, people think they can roll you...it only takes a few examples of enforcement to stop that kinda abusive behavior cold...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Of course they do, but people were using this for the reason that it is free money.  It has added no enhancements to movie-going or made it easier to get a ticket.  In fact, they have made it harder.  The only feature is that it is free money and the huge growth of users is based on "abusers" more than anyone is willing to admit. 

It is also clear that their customer service is non-existent and they haven't made clear why they suspect people of abuse so it should give people pause that they can be terminated or fined at any point and never reach the company to ask why.  I would certainly not trust this company to act fairly and I bet they will also terminate moviegoers that are going often enough to cost them money.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Yeah but they have no way of knowing if you used your card at concessions, bought a GC or best yet resold your ticket.  The only way they can know if you bought premium tickets is either they F--- up and let it slip through (which happens very often with them) or looking at their max released amount (13 dollars in my market for tickets that range from about 11-12.80). 

52 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

Yeah but they have no way of knowing if you used your card at concessions, bought a GC or best yet resold your ticket.  The only way they can know if you bought premium tickets is either they F--- up and let it slip through (which happens very often with them) or looking at their max released amount (13 dollars in my market for tickets that range from about 11-12.80). 

According to the article some of the theaters they have connections with are monitoring it themselves. Would surely be a lot easier for them to tell if someone's using it for concessions.

• Like 1