grim22

Thursday #s: TLJ 17.8M, Jumanji 7.55M, TGS 2.1M

4 minutes ago, DARth DAR said:

Btw this is just a gut reaction but had Bright gotten a traditional 3000+ theatrical release it would have bombed pretty hard

It would have been a massive bomb.  

Netflix is going to find out very quickly that the studio system, while antiquated and filled with flaws, works for high budget movies in many cases because of the checks and balances on directors and talent.  The philosophy of throwing $100m at a "name" director and giving him creative control to make whatever he wants sounds great but you see that a lot of these guys will shit out a turd like Bright when nobody is over their shoulder telling them they are making bad decisions.  

Same thing happened with George Lucas.  When he was within the studio system with Gary Kurtz looking over his shoulder and telling him NO and guiding him, he created some great movies.  When he suddenly was on his own and he had a lackey spineless producer like Rick McCallum and nobody to say NO to him, you get the prequels.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Theater update:

Reveal hidden contents

Star Wars: 414/1,293 (Up 17)

Jumanji: 131/570 (Up 23)

Showman: 58/1,033 (Up 7)

PP3: 56/528 (Up 2)

Ferdinand: 32/345 (Up 10)

Downsizing: 21/390 (Up 3)

Father Figures: 3/335 (Up 3)

Coco, Thor, and DH2 have sold nothing.

Star Wars is now down approximately 57% from last week (I never did a proper Friday update, but it likely didn't gain much)

Jumanji is 140% of its Wednesday (10.1M today), 70% of Coco's opening Wednesday (9.2M today/35.6M 3 day), and 110% of Wonder (30.3M)

Showman is 385% of its Wednesday (9.6M), 33% of Coco's OD (4.4M today/16.8M weekend), and 55% of Wonder (15.1M). I'm going to mark these high numbers as a product of waaaaay too much capacity.

Only gaining two tickets since last night definitely hurts PP3 a bit, but there are still some comps that get it at or close to 30M:

60% of Girls Trip (18.7M)

95% of THB (20.3M)

105% of DH2 (31.1M)

115% of AM (19.3M)

115% of HDD (29.9M)

115% of BR (37.7M)

Downsizing also hasn't gained much since last night, though its range has become clear (7-8M) unless walkups are insane:

20% of Kingsman (7.6M)

35% of THB (7.5M)

40% of DH2 (11.7M)

45% of AM (7.6M)

67% of Foreigner (8.9M)

95% of LL (7.2M)

140% of Suburbicon (3.9M)

175% of OTB (10.5M) (I should note that walkups were strong on this one)

WE CAN COMPARE FATHER FIGURES NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

5% of THB (1.1M)

6% of AM (1M)

6% of DH2 (1.8M)

15% of LL (1.1M)

20% of Suburbicon (600k)

30% of 3B (1.3M)

100% of Lady Bird (4.3M)

:hahaha: 

I honestly won't be surprised if Father Figures does sub-$5M for the 4-day frame.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Netflix is going to find out very quickly that the studio system, while antiquated and filled with flaws, works for high budget movies in many cases because of the checks and balances on directors and talent.  The philosophy of throwing $100m at a "name" director and giving him creative control to make whatever he wants sounds great but you see that a lot of these guys will shit out a turd like Bright when nobody is over their shoulder telling them they are making bad decisions.  

Same thing happened with George Lucas.  When he was within the studio system with Gary Kurtz looking over his shoulder and telling him NO and guiding him, he created some great movies.  When he suddenly was on his own and he had a lackey spineless producer like Rick McCallum and nobody to say NO to him, you get the prequels.  

Plus side, it's also how you get ROTJ. So...Take the bad with the good.

It doesn't work out when it comes to quality control, but let's be real here: it's gonna profit just because Netflix has actually been marketing it and paying for the film cost $0 so long as you have a subscription.  If The Ridiculous 6 can be so successful on Netflix, there's no reason why Bright can't.

• Like 1

ROTJ vs TLJ Star Wars Fan Debate

Now that be a bloodbath. 

Personally, think its unfair comparison as ROTJ is a conclusion so it leaves a nice feeling of finality while TLJ leaves uncertainty. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I honestly won't be surprised if Father Figures does sub-$5M for the 4-day frame.

If I were WB, i will just cancel the release of father figure and let JL to enjoy its last breathe throughout x-mas and new year, don't tell me WB plan to launch a cinematic universe for father figure? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Thanks very informative.

Don't mean to pester you, but did you see my earlier question if theatres in a more rural setting are obligated to keep the same theatrical agreements as those in the larger cities

Empire City / RTH vs. TwoMisfits

Can't imagine how the other posters will decide....

Unfair. Its like Godzilla and King Kong would team up to destroy Jar Jar Binks.

Spoiler

:sparta:

30 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Empire City / RTH vs. TwoMisfits

Can't imagine how the other posters will decide....

Lol Empire you are right, but dude just lay down the facts.

No need to be mean :)

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, DARth DAR said:

Thanks very informative.

Don't mean to pester you, but did you see my earlier question if theatres in a more rural setting are obligated to keep the same theatrical agreements as those in the larger cities

That is usually the case.  The studio might not check the rural theater as much so they can make adjustments and get away with it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I reckon a slightly larger Fri increase than RO, the holidays should follow a pattern roughly like this (maybe some the drops are overestimated or under)

Fri: 26.9m (+50%)

Sat: 31.7m (+17%)

Sun: 14.6m (-54%)

3-Day: 73.2m (-67%)

Mon: 37.2m (+156%)

Tue: 39.1m (+5%)

Wed: 27.8m (-29%)

Thu: 26.4m (-5%)

Fri: 33m (+25%)

Sat: 35.3m (+5%)

Sun: 22m (-38%)

3-Day: 90.3m (+23.3%)

Mon: 26.3m

Tue: 22.4m (-15%)

Wed: 10.1m (-55%)

Thu: 9.5m (-7%)

Fri: 14.4m (+105%)

Sat: 20m (+38%)

Sun: 12.4m (-38%)

3-Day: 46.8m (-48%)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

That is usually the case.  The studio might not check the rural theater as much so they can make adjustments and get away with it.  

I have a question regarding trailer attachments. Theaters are almost always required to attach two trailers from the studio as part of the contract, but around me, the locally owned theaters will sometimes put only one or neither attachment in the trailer mix (IE at SMH they attached The Dark Tower but not Jumanji). Will studios fine theaters if they find out they aren't attaching the required trailers?

Just now, Christmas baumer said:

I too think the Friday increase will be significant and I think it still has a chance at a 40 mill CD.

It's just so hard to find a comparison.  Rogue One has a different schedule where more people were off this week (as Christmas Eve was Saturday).  Go back to 2006 and none of the movies are good comps, they're either multiple week holdovers that lost theaters, new release or Pursuit of Happyness.

A 60%+ Fri jump is optimistic but clearly not impossible.

• Like 2