grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

Predictions for next weekend:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: 68M

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: 41M

Pitch Perfect 3: 12M

The Greatest Showman: 11.2M

All the Money in the World: 10M

Ferdinand: 8.8M

Coco: 6.8M

Darkest Hour: 6.2M

The Shape of Water: 4.2M

Downsizing: 4M

Wonder: 2.6M

Father Figures: 1.9M

I'm expecting decreases for SW (should stay close to flat though), PP3 (a given considering the Saturday drop), Downsizing (likely due to toxic WOM), and Father Figures (bad WOM+showings slashed). Darkest Hour and Shape of Water could be in for some amazing jumps if they gain a good amount of theaters

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

$650 million is the target I would say. Which would be great. 

Imagine the meltdowns if we rewound to 1980 and Empire’s performance. 

TFA basically performed like Star Wars (IV). 

Hell, TFA was the most attended movie since ET wasn’t it? (edit: Titanic. I’ve been on a Xmas eve bender all afternoon. Forgive me). 

Who in their right mind seriously thought TLJ could even approach that? 

It’s incredible to me that some thought it could go way north of $750 million based off a near record OW. Hasn’t history taught us that never happens!?!

TFA was a one-off, once in a generation kind of performance. We can’t be judging every Star Wars episode by it or it’ll only end in tears. 

Jedi is performing just like the other sequels to the first of Star Wars trilogies did. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Hell, TFA was the most attended movie since ET wasn’t it? Who in their right mind seriously thought TLJ could even approach that? 

It’s incredible to me that some thought it could go way north of $750 million based off a near record OW. Hasn’t history taught us that never happens!?!

TFA was a one-off, once in a generation kind of performance. We can’t be judging every Star Wars episode by it or it’ll only end in tears. 

Jedi is performing just like the other sequels to the first of Star Wars trilogies did. 

I agree with everything in this post. But Titanic had more admissions than TFA.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Predictions for next weekend:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: 68M

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: 41M

Pitch Perfect 3: 12M

The Greatest Showman: 11.2M

All the Money in the World: 10M

Ferdinand: 8.8M

Coco: 6.8M

Darkest Hour: 6.2M

The Shape of Water: 4.2M

Downsizing: 4M

Wonder: 2.6M

Father Figures: 1.9M

I'm expecting decreases for SW (should stay close to flat though), PP3 (a given considering the Saturday drop), Downsizing (likely due to toxic WOM), and Father Figures (bad WOM+showings slashed)

Downsizing will likely be (wait for it) downsized as well since it's doing so bad. Wouldn't surprise me if some theaters put that and Father Figures on the same screen.

Hopefully Molly's Game does really well, it opens in 271 theaters tomorrow.

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Florida Project probably gonna be the only Oscar nom for Best Pic that didn't do either great in a vacuum or extremely great relative to what its release schedule looked like. That's what happens when you focus your "spotlight" on Florida on boring ass Orlando and not on the diverse population and culture that defines our state down in the heart of Florida. I'm bitter! (I also wish I liked this movie more in general)

Yeah, it'll likely be the only Best Picture nominee to make less than $20M (heck, most likely $10M too) if it gets nominated.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Downsizing will likely be (wait for it) downsized as well since it's doing so bad. Wouldn't surprise me if some theaters put that and Father Figures on the same screen.

Hopefully Molly's Game does really well, it opens in 271 theaters tomorrow.

Downsizing still had a relatively ok PTA (wait actually it's not that good but still waaaay better than FF), so I expect most theaters will keep it on a full screen. Father Figures is almost definitely going to share a screen with one of the animated movies.

Edited by WrathOfHan

25 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Im done with people not getting that Christmas Eve is depressing TLJ 2nd weekend. So many people here have explained how this Christmas weekend works and they still cant shut up about TLJ "bad second weekend drop".

Well, but what about weekdays? Are pre-Christmas days also depressing TLJ?

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Hell, TFA was the most attended movie since ET wasn’t it? Who in their right mind seriously thought TLJ could even approach that? 

TFA was well below Titanic in attendance. 

Just now, EpicBoom23 said:

Well, but what about weekdays? Are pre-Christmas days also depressing TLJ?

Yes, the first set of weekdays was depressed because there were far less schools out for TLJ. Every day of the run of TLJ till now was a bit depressed because of the calendar with the exception of its OW and its second Friday (and maybe Saturday). This all changes tomorrow, in a big way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Everything is down a lot today at my theater EXCEPT for Jumanji; it's still getting near sellouts :ohmygod: 

The only things really selling well around here are Darkest Hour and Call Me by Your Name. The power of the specialty crowd.

Next two days are gonna be big, like $30m on average big. The rest of the week is no slouch either. I remember when the first Hobbit came out, after the last week of the year, many people had to rise their box office total projections. That goes for DOM as well as for OS grosses. I wouldn't count out TLJ just yet. But Avatar should be safe. Hopefuly...

19 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

boring ass Orlando and not on the diverse population and culture that defines our state down in the heart of Florida. I'm bitter! (I also wish I liked this movie more in general)

What are you even talking about!???? Im so confused why your mad. 

How does this have ANYTHING to do with the film being good or not. 

• Haha 1