grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

Thank you, Empire, for the confirmation of Sunday being $17.4M. :) 

$17.4M for Sunday to $27M for Monday (if accurate) represents a 55% increase - unfortunately, this appears quite weak in comparison to the 100+% increases for the other films for which RTH gave us Christmas Day numbers. 

Curious to see what is Coco's increase and how it will fare this week. 

Peace,

Mike 

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 1

I was already thinking this earlier today, but I find it at least slightly ironic and darkly amusing that the ONE Star Wars production that not only didn't have a whiff of drama surrounding it's production but was so beloved by both Lucasfilm AND Disney, that a trilogy by the same director was greenlit by Disney is the film that has the most controversy surrounding it post-release.

Each and every other current SW film, including TFA, easily had enough drama surrounding it to be classified as a Troubled Production.  TLJ by contrast sailed through with nary a hiccup.

Yet it's TLJ that gets the drama afterwards.

Just goes to show that one never ever EVER knows for sure while making a movie.

---

None of this is to say that Rian Johnson's trilogy is in any danger. I think the idea is three parts laughable and one part wishcasting from some folks. But the irony... Well sure is something, even I have to admit.

• Like 5

SW8 cume till Sunday 368 (Subtracting Monday from Deadline's numbers and using 17.4 Sunday instead of their 17.9)

27 Mon

27 Tue

18 Wed

19 Thu

21 Fri

23 Sat

16 Sun // 60 FSS (-16% from previous FSS)

18 Mon // 78 FSSM

gives cume of 368+169=537

With these numbers would be 163 away from 700 after New Years. 

RO had a 66 FSSM on New Years and added 91 more to it's cume.

RO's legs (91/66) gives SW8 108 more after a 78 FSSM for 537+108 = 645 dom

If holidays are back-loaded then could add more for 660+ I guess.

Edited by a2knet

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I was already thinking this earlier today, but I find it at least slightly ironic and darkly amusing that the ONE Star Wars production that not only didn't have a whiff of drama surrounding it's production but was so beloved by both Lucasfilm AND Disney, that a trilogy by the same director was greenlit by Disney is the film that has the most controversy surrounding it post-release.

Each and every other current SW film, including TFA, easily had enough drama surrounding it to be classified as a Troubled Production.  TLJ by contrast sailed through with nary a hiccup.

Yet it's TLJ that gets the drama afterwards.

Just goes to show that one never ever EVER knows for sure while making a movie.

---

None of this is to say that Rian Johnson's trilogy is in any danger. I think the idea is three parts laughable and one part wishcasting from some folks. But the irony... Well sure is something, even I have to admit.

I won't derail the thread too much again, but still think the "controversy" is one willed into existence by a very vocal minority through some well timed circumstance.  They drive the audience score through the floor before 95% of the public have seen it and catch the attention of some lower level online blogs.  They write a few articles and because it is Star Wars it gets more clicks than anything else would, especially when being sold as controversy.  The mainstream media outlets pick up on it (New York Times even now) and run with it.  

Couple in the weird calendar set up, the long run time and Jumanji fully breaking out and I think it is starting to have an effect, especially with families making their movie choice this time of year.  Sort of the perfect storm and it happened.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 3

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I won't derail the thread too much again, but still think the "controversy" is one willed into existence by a very vocal minority through some well timed circumstance.  They drive the audience score through the floor before 95% of the public have seen it and catch the attention of some lower level online blogs.  They write a few articles and because it is Star Wars it gets more clicks than anything else would, especially when being sold as controversy.  The mainstream media outlets pick up on it (New York Times even now) and run with it.  

Couple in the weird calendar set up, the long run time and Jumanji fully breaking out and I think it is starting to have an effect, especially with families making their movie choice this time of year.  Sort of the perfect storm and it happened.  

Jumanji affect Star Wars. Snicker

• Thanks 1

Just now, John Marston said:

Jumanji affect Star Wars. Snicker

Funny, but it appears to have actually done it.  Star Wars held up way better than expected on Christmas Eve but then when the biggest day for family movie going hits the following day suddenly you have Star Wars making $4m less in estimates and Jumanji making $4m more in estimates than what each studio thought. 

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Spoiler

People give a similar excuse for BVS

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Good for you Sony :bravo: After being written off for awhile, they end the year with a bang.

All the $ In the World doing okay too? From what I'm hearing at least, but haven't heard any confirmed numbers...

It’s not like they had a bad year before Jumanji. Homecoming and Baby Driver were big hits for them. Underworld and Resident Evil did good WW. The flops they did have weren’t expensive flops. All in all it was a good year. 2018 doesn’t look horrible either with Venom and the animated Spider-Man movie.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

If 27 Monday is true, maybe it can have a solid increase on Discount Tuesday. 

I was thinking that it could stay flat or have a small bump myself.  Certainly room for growth, attendance wise.

As I said, one can say many things about TLJ's run so far, but 'boring' isn't one of them. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

But I think 750 is dead and buried with a 27 Monday. 700 itself becomes a very difficult number to reach. 

I think Tuesday's number is going to be the really interesting number.  

The Last Jedi did better than expected on the less family oriented Christmas Eve and worse on the huge family oriented Christmas Day.  Tuesday is sort of a crap shoot as it isn't quite as family oriented.

Could recover nicely or confirm that Jumanji is taking away the family crowd if it continues to break out.  

The other thing is the studios were off obviously on Monday, so they will be working tomorrow and theaters will be making scheduling decisions by the end of the day.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, a2knet said:

SW8 cume till Sunday 368 (Subtracting Monday from Deadline's numbers and using 17.4 Sunday instead of their 17.9)

27 Mon

27 Tue

18 Wed

19 Thu

21 Fri

23 Sat

16 Sun // 60 FSS (-16% from previous FSS)

18 Mon // 78 FSSM

gives cume of 368+169=537

With these numbers would be 163 away from 700 after New Years. 

RO had a 50 FSS/66 FSSM on New Years and added 122 more to it's cume.

So for SW8 to add 163 with 60/78 seems tough. RO's legs give 145 more for 537+145 = 682 dom

RO only added 107m to its cume after NYD though? NYD falling on a Sunday instead of a Monday for it should also indicate that TLJ would be at a higher percentage of its total gross on NYD than RO was. With your 537 number and RO-ish post-holiday legs, it seems it would be more on track for 660 no? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

But I think 750 is dead and buried with a 27 Monday. 700 itself becomes a very difficult number to reach. 

750 has been well dead it seems. once the 24.7 friday came in it wasn't looking north of 720-725 imo even with a strong sat & sun (which it actually had) and a bigger CD. guessing 665-685.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

750 has been well dead it seems. once the 24.7 friday came in it wasn't looking north of 720-725 imo even with a strong sat & sun (which it actually had) and a bigger CD. guessing 665-685.

Needs a 40% lead on Rogue One the rest of the way to reach 700. That is gonna be very hard. Friday-Saturday was 41.5% ahead with Rogue One’s Saturday neutered by Christmas Eve. 

Edited by redfirebird2008

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

RO only added 107m to its cume after NYD though? NYD falling on a Sunday instead of a Monday for it should also indicate that TLJ would be at a higher percentage of its total gross on NYD than RO was. With your 537 number and RO-ish post-holiday legs, it seems it would be more on track for 660 no? 

you are right. it was 441 on NY and ended at 532+, so added only 91 more after that Monday. Edited my post. Actually with my numbers gives only 645 with RO's legs, but thinking I am low-balling somewhere. Could do 660 with those numbers if week after NY plays well due to delayed holidays this calendar.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

you are right. it was 441 on NY and ended at 532+, so added only 91 more after that Monday. Edited my post. Actually with my numbers gives only 645 with RO's legs, but thinking I am low-balling somewhere. Should do 660+ at least.

660 is not locked. Neither is Jurassic World’s 652 total. 

• Like 7