grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

4 minutes ago, EpicBoom23 said:

Okay, I think it will stay flat. 

Was actually thinking that too but got a bit excited by EC's 'might surprise a bit' post. So upped it a little, else was gonna guess 27-28.

Edited by a2knet

42 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Think Star Wars might be different from Marvel/comic books in the sense that the latter fanbase are used to rebooting/reworking of the character.

Disney were too greedy, not that you can blame them this time around, but the existing IP and its popularity comes from the old characters.

They should have left them alone, and created new ones. That would probably test the actual popularity of the brand, but you're right in questioning the fanbase for its logic.

I think a good analogy would be Harry Potter. Massive fanbase, based off the books. 

If they released a new universe but 50 years into Harry Potter's future, I would think the brand would suffer too. This is because I don't think people really like their heroes, especially the same one (not a rebooted one), to not have their happy ending. 

I will only watch Jedi when it reaches HV, but I saw TFA and I can say, without even being much of a SW fan, that I thought it was stupid to resurrect Luke/Leia/Han and had them learn nothing whatsoever from the OT (and even from what we would presume they know from the PT). To me, as an outsider, it already reeked of the "cash-grab" sequel mindset. (For those pedants, who will say crap like "everything is a cash-grab, just GTFO and learn what the term is considered to mean and don't bother responding.)

Perhaps, that's not what the fanbase thinks, but I certainly feel the extension of storyline to characters considered "closed" only to ruin what they stood for (see: HP in Harry Potter & the Cursed Child) makes people disappointed and angry. I'm a HP fan, and even though JKR gave that play her blessing, it was blasphemously bad in misunderstanding existing characters. This is a feeling that is easily transferrable to any beloved property as it is emotional and psychological factors in play. 

I think it was the abruptness of the change that is a major problem. They probably should have spread it out over 8 and 9 instead.