grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Yeah, which makes some of those choices still rather head-shaking IMO.... surely someone somewhere knew that there would be issues.

I want to answer this carefully, as I DO think they care about the reaction of their fanbase.  At the same time, if they are truly committed to a Creative Vision, doesn't this show that they might be willing to take the lumps along the way if they think it is 'worth it'.

They might be wrong about it being 'worth it'.  They can very well be wrong. They can easily easily be wrong, as seen by the reaction of some of our bigger SW fans here.

Call it reading the room wrong or call it taking a risk and falling flat on your face.  Or call it the blind spot to how bad it could be from my earlier posts. Or call it all of the above, partially.

Either way, it does seem to give lie to the idea that all Disney cares about is trading in nostalgia, since they okay'd Lucasfilm's slate here.

That's not to say that 'trading in nostalgia' is a BAD thing.  Personally I think it's a rather neutral thing and can work wonders if done right or look like three day old pablum if done wrong.

But if they did think TLJ might be controversial AND if they do care about the fans (and from where I sit I think they do).... Well, it's an interesting circle to square. And one I think many people will attempt to crack with the passage of time.

• Like 2

Just now, Xinau said:

If TLJ didn't land for you I can see how you'd feel that way.

But both Rayne & Pablo Hidalgo have tweeted that they were sold on RJ's story since his first pitch. I think they're more progressive (and subversive) in terms of story than you might think. I think this has roots in Filoni's apprenticeship w/Lucas during production of the Clone Wars, and it's continuing now with Filoni in charge of Rebels.

It will be VERY interesting to see what they do with the upcoming TV project.

p.s. Don't know if you've read the new-canon comics, but they can be pretty weird.

Sure but the story group is ultimately there to double check and approve what the white male director pitches. Until there are more voices in the creative front seat, it’s not really going to reflect on the big screen. Honestly, the way Patty Jenkins made WW is a worlds away from how most male directed films are made, and that’s what you lose by not having more voices in the director seat.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

I want to answer this carefully, as I DO think they care about the reaction of their fanbase.  At the same time, if they are truly committed to a Creative Vision, doesn't this show that they might be willing to take the lumps along the way if they think it is 'worth it'.

They might be wrong about it being 'worth it'.  They can very well be wrong. They can easily easily be wrong, as seen by the reaction of some of our bigger SW fans here.

Call it reading the room wrong or call it taking a risk and falling flat on your face.  Or call it the blind spot to how bad it could be from my earlier posts. Or call it all of the above, partially.

Either way, it does seem to give lie to the idea that all Disney cares about is trading in nostalgia, since they okay'd Lucasfilm's slate here.

That's not to say that 'trading in nostalgia' is a BAD thing.  Personally I think it's a rather neutral thing and can work wonders if done right or look like three day old pablum if done wrong.

But if they did think TLJ might be controversial AND if they do care about the fans (and from where I sit I think they do).... Well, it's an interesting circle to square. And one I think many people will attempt to crack with the passage of time.

would be interesting if this was testing the waters to see how far they could go? and then listen to all the complaints and then course correct and say hey we listened now enjoy this satisfying EP 9.

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Seems a little disingenuous to compare crew members to tentpole directors

Had to look up what disingenuous means :lol:

I didnt mean my post that way. I believe that there are too few female blockbuster directors out there. But sometimes i come across people who just assume that women largely dont work on movie productions, which is just wrong. And i also think that these behind-the-scenes people - regardless if they are male/female ofc - should get more attention and recognition.

50 minutes ago, Reyhawk said:

I'm sure you'll like this one then, although Spielberg actually knows how to end the movie this time!

Does it have just one ending? Still get a little disappointed that they tacked another ending onto Lincoln after the first ending where he walks down the staircase to go to the play.

7 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I mean if RJ is correct in saying he could do whatever he wanted then I don’t think the above people do much besides make sure the novels and comics don’t veer too far off course 

The best way to describe the story group is: Story Coordinators and Developers.

They're not traffic cops that stick around to say: No. 

Instead they're creative executives and development executives that work with other to try to get everything to 'play nice'.  

The way they like to tell it is that it's not their job to say "No" but instead to work with the authors so they can say "Yes".  That is, they work together to try to make it all fit.  Whether they succeed or not is, of course, opinion. :)

Rian Johnson himself was surprised at some of the things he was 'allowed' to do. He still went to the Story Group first to see how it could all work together.

I suppose another analogy might be one of a conductor.  Everyone plays their individual notes, and some players are FAR more important than others (First Chair, as it were).  But the conductor is around so the notes are played in harmony.

Or not, as the case may be. :P

Just now, Brainbug said:

Had to look up what disingenuous means :lol:

I didnt mean my post that way. I believe that there are too few female blockbuster directors out there. But sometimes i come across people who just assume that women largely dont work on movie productions, which is just wrong. And i also think that these behind-the-scenes people - regardless if they are male/female ofc - should get more attention and recognition.

Yea there's a perception that it's a male-dominated industry when it's not, that's true. Which makes it an even worse look that women have gotten so few opportunities to direct these bigger movies. Outside of a docu from 30 years ago a woman has never directed a sequel to their film, lol. NEVER

3 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

would be interesting if this was testing the waters to see how far they could go? and then listen to all the complaints and then course correct and say hey we listened now enjoy this satisfying EP 9.

Just my opinion, but I think part of TLJ's job is to wean the fanbase off of their classic Star Wars expectations, and open up the property to different stories and characters.

• Like 2

the vibe of EC's 'could surprise a bit' post is certainly positive opposed to a negative surprise. especially since he likes the movie.

0-5% bump would be 27.5-28.9

5-10% bump would be 28.9-30.25.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Just my opinion, but I think part of TLJ's job is to wean the fanbase off of their classic Star Wars expectations, and open up the property to different stories and characters.

This may have gone better, if TFA and RO hadnt leaned as heavily into those expectations.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

When hipster film critics are high on The Last Jedi, that s a giant red flag right there.

You know something s way wrong ...

I did feel a disturbance in the Force when Erhlich tweeted that he liked it.

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

I think that a lot of ppl are projecting some pretty outlandish things onto the creatives behind this movie and maybe need to take a step back

You mean they don't derive sustenance from the anguish of ruined childhoods?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

(there's been a couple of other posts along this line, but I'll jump in on this one simply for ease of posting)

----

I'm going to pull a post I made in the TLJ spoiler thread here, but only quote a minor non-spoily part of it.  For folks who haven't seen the movie and are somehow still unspoiled, I suggest NOT following the post to see what else I had to say there. ;)

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

As I said in my other post though, this film is what it is.  It's not going to do any 'damage' to the brand or imperil Ep 9's box office.  And J.J. Abrams certainly doesn't have anything to 'fix' here.

But I strongly suspect he will make a much different film than TLJ.  If only because a steady diet of TLJ-like films probably isn't what the doctor ordered when it comes to SW.

I'm bolding those last two lines for emphasis.  I don't think TLJ is so much seeing what they can get away with, per se, as if it were, then they might very well attempt to have a stream of releases like it.  I can't say for sure just what they wanted the reaction to be, though.

That being said even this person who loved TLJ doesn't think the majority of upcoming SW films should be like them.  "Once in a while", yes.  Though not so much as a change of pace, but more a "Once in a while when the narrative calls for something very challenging and only then". 

A fine distinction, perhaps, but one I'm willing to live with. :)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

(there's been a couple of other posts along this line, but I'll jump in on this one simply for ease of posting)

----

I'm going to pull a post I made in the TLJ spoiler thread here, but only quote a minor non-spoily part of it.  For folks who haven't seen the movie and are somehow still unspoiled, I suggest NOT following the post to see what else I had to say there. ;)

I'm bolding those last two lines for emphasis.  I don't think TLJ is so much seeing what they can get away with, per se, as if it were, then they might very well attempt to have a stream of releases like it.  I can't say for sure just what they wanted the reaction to be, though.

That being said even this person who loved TLJ doesn't think the majority of upcoming SW films should be like them.  "Once in a while", yes.  Though not so much as a change of pace, but more a "Once in a while when the narrative calls for something very challenging and only then". 

I agree with that seems reasonable, I loved the last jedi as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

----

The problem is what is the hook for the next movie what is going to drive people in. This movie ended pretty much every plot thread