grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

Yea for sure they're going to rein in future Star Wars directors, they already fired three and now this. Star Wars fans will get the Star Wars movies they want (for better or worse)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Xinau said:

FWIW, some of the capsule reviews that dropped on Twitter of the "Art of The Last Jedi" book hint that TPTB @ LFL knew full well that this film would be controversial/divisive.

Thanks. Got it for XMas but I haven't read it yet.  Like to see what just they say in context.

(Though that makes it even more interesting that the next trilogy was greenlit when it was)

((Though maybe they also knew that announcing it AFTER TLJ premiered would be seen as an... interesting attempt to control the news cycle :lol:))

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Yea for sure they're going to rein in future Star Wars directors, they already fired three and now this. Star Wars fans will get the Star Wars movies they want (for better or worse)

They fired 3 officially, but we all know Gareth Edwards was "fired" as well :hahaha: And Rian Johnson is getting fired as well, because there is no way he is doing his own trilogy, so that is 5 directors fired :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

• Haha 1

No luck (yet) finding that tweeted reaction to the Art of The Last Jedi book about LFL knowing the film would be divisive, but I did find this interesting bit from the book's author

I know it's kind of a dead horse that TLJ was some kind of FU to all the fan theorizing and speculation, but if there were any lingering doubts, there it is. The story for TLJ has been locked since August 2014.

It also confirms that the basic starting point for Luke's arc in both ST films, that he was in exile, estranged from The Force due to some kind of inciting incident, was Lucas'.

Edited by Xinau
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

They fired 3 officially, but we all know Gareth Edwards was "fired" as well :hahaha: And Rian Johnson is getting fired as well, because there is no way he is doing his own trilogy, so that is 5 directors fired :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

tfw JJ Abrams tries to give Lando a fun subplot

tumblr_m5a0xt841W1r98lguo2_r1_250.gif

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Thanks. Got it for XMas but I haven't read it yet.  Like to see what just they say in context.

(Though that makes it even more interesting that the next trilogy was greenlit when it was)

((Though maybe they also knew that announcing it AFTER TLJ premiered would be seen as an... interesting attempt to control the news cycle :lol:))

RJ said something yesterday or the day before that I thought was really illuminating. Words to the effect of, whether it was because of TLJ or not, the conversation we're having now about the franchise -- i.e., when does the past die and how & who does the killing -- was going to happen sooner or later.

I think LFL figured the band-aid had to come off eventually, and I think they're actually trying to have it both ways. TFA, RO, the Han Solo film, and the Obi-Wan (?, I'm presuming) standalone are the nostalgic fan service. I think they are hoping that TLJ will lay the groundwork to tell new stories that won't be hamstrung by all that nostalgia, and in the process, bring new fans on board. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Xinau said:

No luck (yet) finding that tweeted reaction to the Art of The Last Jedi book about LFL knowing the film would be divisive, but I did find this interesting bit from the book's author

I know it's kind of a dead horse that TLJ was some kind of FU to all the fan theorizing and speculation, but if there were any lingering doubts, there it is. The story for TLJ has been locked since August 2014.

It also confirms that the basic starting point for Luke's arc in both ST films, that he was in exile, estranged from The Force due to some kind of inciting incident, was Lucas'.

Yeah, which makes some of those choices still rather head-shaking IMO.... surely someone somewhere knew that there would be issues.

9 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Kathleen Kennedy is basically the Kevin Feige of the Star Wars films. Kennedy fires directors and controls which direction the movies go.

And her creative deputies are both women. Kiri Hart is SVP for Development and Rayne Roberts is head of the story group.

• Like 1

Not to go tooo far down the rabbit hole, are we leaning more towards Lucasfilms hired Rian Johnson to deconstruct Star Wars, so they can move past the nostalgia factor? and Rian Johnson has thick skin so he agreed. and episode 9 will have this amazing plot that answers every question that we wanted, we get a satisfying conclusion and then Rian Johnson get's praised because a lot of the stuff in this movie we just didn't see the payoff for yet?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xinau said:

And her creative deputies are both women. Kiri Hart is SVP for Development and Rayne Roberts is head of the story group.

I mean if RJ is correct in saying he could do whatever he wanted then I don’t think the above people do much besides make sure the novels and comics don’t veer too far off course 

Just now, Xinau said:

I always find it interesting that so many people complain about the lack of female directors when there are so many women working on the movies behind the camera. Set design, editing, make-Up, practical effects - all of these things are essential for a movies success, but get rarely mentioned in the debate overall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

I always find it interesting that so many people complain about the lack of female directors when there are so many women working on the movies behind the camera. Set design, editing, make-Up, practical effects - all of these things are essential for a movies success, but get rarely mentioned in the debate overall.

Yeah but do they get to decide the direction a story goes? Can any of those people veto an ass shot or male gaze bullshit? If not then we’ll its not going to make a huge difference as to what stories get told or how they’re told 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

And outside of Make-up and Design they also get very few kudos.... it all works against the other.

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Seems a little disingenuous to compare crew members to tentpole directors

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

I mean if RJ is correct in saying he could do whatever he wanted then I don’t think the above people do much besides make sure the novels and comics don’t veer too far off course 

If TLJ didn't land for you I can see how you'd feel that way.

But both Rayne & Pablo Hidalgo have tweeted that they were sold on RJ's story since his first pitch. I think they're more progressive (and subversive) in terms of story than you might think. I think this has roots in Filoni's apprenticeship w/Lucas during production of the Clone Wars, and it's continuing now with Filoni in charge of Rebels.

It will be VERY interesting to see what they do with the upcoming TV project.

p.s. Don't know if you've read the new-canon comics, but they can be pretty weird.

• Like 3