Porthos

Tuesday Numbers (Dec 26): TLJ 27.7, Jumanji: 17.1, PP3 7.4, TGS 5.1 (actuals/estimates)

2 minutes ago, smokeylarue said:

$800M cost?

Well, I mean, be fair.  If Disney did spend nearly a billion dollars on TLJ, they might be in danger here.

I mean, they didn't.  But imagine if they did! :o

Spoiler

Yeah, yeah. Ancillary deals.  Marketing deals. Moich-indizing, as Mel Brooks would say.

Whatever!  DETAILS!  MERE TRIVIAL DETAILS!

7 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

I'm not sure how you are getting to them taking a loss, it's at 844 Million atm based on what we know they are in the black already.

How can they be in the black already if they only get 65% of the domestic take and who knows what from the overseas money?

Unless I am mistaken they've recouped just $270M+ in North American revenues.

Hahaha you either can’t do math or just like trolling.

It’s possible Forceuser is here just to say such ridiculous things he unites the anti-TLJ and pro-TLJ crowd who realize while they may disagree on this or that, at least everyone is of right mind :P

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smokeylarue said:

$800M? A

$800M cost? Won't pass Transformers: Dark of the Moon which is at $1.123 billion worldwide? Might take a loss? Are you insane?

No. I just know how to read.

"Kennedy has said the film needs to make 800million plus to break even"

http://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-tuesday-rakes-in-20-4m-1202230506/

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

TLJ at $800M is somehow "in the black"  but other movies with similar or lower production costs needed that to just "break even" ....   remember?  :P

It’s on its way to $1.3B+ I would say and that’s not even including massive ancillary revenues unmatched by any other franchise in the history of entertainment. So let’s knock it off with the lunacy here lol

• Like 4

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

TLJ at $800M is somehow "in the black"  but other movies with similar or lower production costs needed that to just "break even" ....   remember?  :P

I have no idea what people are going on about, but most films don't get 65% of the domestic take. Most blockbusters are also much more skewed towards overseas grosses. 

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Hahaha you either can’t do math or just like trolling.

It’s possible Forceuser is here just to say such ridiculous things he unites the anti-TLJ and pro-TLJ crowd who realize while they may disagree on this or that, at least everyone is of right mind :P

Windows, Android, IOS all have built in calculator apps and there's a thing called the google search engine. It's great for finding facts and figures. You should try it sometime Johnathan.

1 minute ago, TheForceuser707 said:

http://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-tuesday-rakes-in-20-4m-1202230506/

You realize that could mean that an $800m gross, right?

Also, that's from the comments section...

• Like 1

1) I'd like to have a better source than an internet commentor

2) If she was talking about Worldwide totals, I could buy that as it implies a total budget of around 400m to 500m.  Which is absolutely on the high side, but it's at least more conceivable than needing to take in  800m after everyone else takes their cut.

3) FTR: Worldwide:     $843,561,767

Will you look at that. It's passed that 800m figure already.  Guess Kathleen Kennedy isn't going to sweat her job after all. :)

• Like 4

Just now, kswiston said:

I have no idea what people are going on about, but most films don't get 65% of the domestic take. Most blockbusters are also much more skewed towards overseas grosses. 

Aren’t you aware that the facts change if you don’t like a movie? How can you be so silly? If you don’t like TLJ then it’s a failure because it can’t make as much as TFA or Avatar. Forget that every major blockbuster like Guardians 2 and Justice League and whatever else all cost $150-200M with similar marketing outlays and none of them even dream of $500M domestic. 

Baumer really said it best. The movie is a massive success by any reasonable metric. What’s at issue is that its holiday legs appear historically weak compared to comps. See what I did there? I love TLJ and think it’s amazing but I can analyze numbers and box office independent of that. It’s understandable for us as box office enthusiasts to be disappointed or at least surprised by a holiday movie opening to $220M and staring at a hopeful but not guaranteed $660M, 3.0x multiple. It doesn’t make the movie a dud or an actual disappointment in absolute dollars. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

You realize that could mean that an $800m gross, right?

Also, that's from the comments section...

Mmm. Yeah I realize it means $800M. It's an 8 followed by two zeros.

Also, that's not the first place I read this. It's just the first result on Google.

Whether she said this or not is irrelevant. Whether it's true or not is critical.

Getting just $270M+ thus far off of the North American gross, and I'm not sure how much from the overseas money - means Disney has a long way to go before they break even here.

• ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

Windows, Android, IOS all have built in calculator apps and there's a thing called the google search engine. It's great for finding facts and figures. You should try it sometime Johnathan.

You know less about the box office than a single person on this forum. You’ve trolled numerous forums insisting on a conspiracy where someone “hid” money from TFA to some end and you want to ask others to read?! Look in the mirror dude, you’re a tinfoil hat chemtrails conspiracy theorist.

Mmm. Yeah I realize it means $800M. It's an 8 followed by two zeros.

Also, that's not the first place I read this. It's just the first result on Google.

Whether she said this or not is irrelevant. Whether it's true or not is critical.

Getting just $270M+ thus far off of the North American gross, and I'm not sure how much from the overseas money - means Disney has a long way to go before they break even here.

Oh, it is this troll saying it.  Glad this can be completely ignored.  

• Like 4