Porthos

Tuesday Numbers (Dec 26): TLJ 27.7, Jumanji: 17.1, PP3 7.4, TGS 5.1 (actuals/estimates)

3 hours ago, TheForceuser707 said:

You really ought to be careful what you say on-line as much as you are in real life. Your idea of fun or amusement can upset people. There's a cost for that. It's not free and that is even if you're completely oblivious to fact this for the rest of your life.

Now I post here because it's a box office forum. It's not supposed to be some back patting club for insecure individuals with too much time on their hands. I shouldn't have to deal with prima donnas who feel comfortable only with cookie cutter posts and I certainly shouldn't be exposed to insults and abuse of the kind so flippantly delivered.

Truth be told IMO you won't find a better collection of asinine self deluded comments anywhere on-line, apart it seems for in other box office oriented forums. Why this is I don't really know, but 90% of the posts here are invariably incorrect, and any form of correction or basic simple honesty in terms of logic or observation is quickly shot down. It's absolutely remarkable.

Now I have the right to post whatever I want anywhere I feel like right? As long as it has to do with box office here there should be no objections.

I want JohnathanLB to know that nothing he types here is incomprehensible and that at some point he will be held accountable for all of his comments and his plain to see... illogical attitude towards the environment in which he finds himself. He is by no means impressive in any way and is instead absolutely predictable. I say this because I assume he petitions to get people banned when he doesn't like what they've typed. To him I say get used to it and soon.

What else.

I guess that's it for now.

Have fun.

21b.jpg

• Like 9

If this does get to 700, then that would be a terrific total.  I mean, 700 is terrific no matter what the OW is.  It's the low 600's that has us worried.  Anything under a 3X would be bothersome.  Even as someone who wasn't all that fond of the movie, I still want to see it hit a 3X.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, somebody85 said:

The toxic Star Wars famdom has caused me to not really care about this films box office run. It's just nasty. Daisy Ridley deleted her facebook last week and I have a feeling it's the same reason she deleted her instagram. People attacking her and doing it in the worst way by resorting to personal insults. She didn't write Rey.

I 100% don't blame her. It's just sad to see what it's become. I remember the reaction of her watching the first teaser of TFA that went viral. How excited she was....compared to now.

Daisy Ridley has been getting an indecent amount of hatred because of her role as Rey and how she’s perceived to be a “Mary Sue”. Why anyone thinks this is shocking. Honestly, I think social media sites should better police themselves given just how unruly some people are and how racist, sexist and homophobic attitudes have come “out of the closet”. The amount of harassment that female and minority creators face these days has reached astronomical proportions particularly in the US.

For some reason, there’s an increase in the hatred towards women and ethnic minorities getting prominent roles in entertainment in the US. You have a group of alt-right “man babies” online that seem to be offended by everything that doesn’t feature straight white men. These guys are the new “One Million Moms” and they are organizing themselves into attack groups. Unfortunately, there’s an ugly side of the criticism of the Last Jedi that feature these alt-right punks and their nonsense mentality of “SJWs are killing my entertainment” or “why are white men so marginalized in everything these days”. These idiots are going in hard on TLJ but they’re really wasting their time because Kathleen Kennedy has stated it categorically that she’s committed to diversity in the movies. Besides, straight white people have dominated the movie industry for a good long while now, it’s time to allow different people with different ideas come into the conversation.

I really feel bad for Daisy Ridley but I hope she can ignore these sexist idiots that really should be seeking psychological help for their mommy issues and continue to give her best to Star Wars.

Edited by Deathlife
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:44 PM, TheForceuser707 said:

You really ought to be careful what you say on-line as much as you are in real life. Your idea of fun or amusement can upset people. There's a cost for that. It's not free and that is even if you're completely oblivious to fact this for the rest of your life.

Truth be told IMO you won't find a better collection of asinine self deluded comments anywhere on-line, apart it seems for in other box office oriented forums. Why this is I don't really know, but 90% of the posts here are invariably incorrect, and any form of correction or basic simple honesty in terms of logic or observation is quickly shot down. It's absolutely remarkable.

Edited by Thematrixfilm

3 hours ago, Deathlife said:

Daisy Ridley has been getting an indecent amount of hatred because of her role as Rey and how she’s perceived to be a “Mary Sue”. Why anyone thinks this is shocking. Honestly, I think social media sites should better police themselves given just how unruly some people are and how racist, sexist and homophobic attitudes have come “out of the closet”. The amount of harassment that female and minority creators face these days has reached astronomical proportions particularly in the US.

For some reason, there’s an increase in the hatred towards women and ethnic minorities getting prominent roles in entertainment in the US. You have a group of alt-right “man babies” online that seem to be offended by everything that doesn’t feature straight white men. These guys are the and they are organizing themselves into attack groups. Unfortunately, there’s an ugly side of the criticism of the Last Jedi that feature these alt-right punks and their nonsense mentality of “SJWs are killing my entertainment” or “why are white men so marginalized in everything these days”. These idiots are going in hard on TLJ but they’re really wasting their time because Kathleen Kennedy has stated it categorically that she’s committed to diversity in the movies. Besides, straight white people have dominated the movie industry for a good long while now, it’s time to allow different people with different ideas come into the conversation.

I really feel bad for Daisy Ridley but I hope she can ignore these sexist idiots that really should be seeking psychological help for their mommy issues and continue to give her best to Star Wars.

219.gif

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Well, I mean, be fair.  If Disney did spend nearly a billion dollars on TLJ, they might be in danger here.

I mean, they didn't.  But imagine if they did! :o

Hide contents

Yeah, yeah. Ancillary deals.  Marketing deals. Moich-indizing, as Mel Brooks would say.

Whatever!  DETAILS!  MERE TRIVIAL DETAILS!

It could get close to 800m (but not necessarily 1 billion ) that can happen on mega profitable movies, deadline that tend to underestimate total cost more than overestimate them (mostly because of the budget and participation bonus line) had Force Awaken costing around 776 million:

http://deadline.com/2016/03/star-wars-the-force-awakens-movie-profit-2015-lucasfilm-disney-1201726142/

Of the 1122 million Spider Man 3 made, Sony kept only 188m of them for an extreme example of how high total cost can go....

Davinci Code went to around 650m.

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

Your resident Star Wars nutjob is finishing a workout while watching my Vegas Golden Knights hockey before the 10:30 pm IMAX TLJ. Gotta support the late showings!

By the way tomorrow headed to see Jumanji with the GF :) No worries I’m catching the 10:30 pm TLJ IMAX again tomorrow night so I’ll equalize my tickets for Jumanji hehe.

You live in Vegas @JonathanLB? Just wandering because I’m there right now. Sitting in my hotel room at the Paris watching Conan lol

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It could get close to 800m (but not necessarily 1 billion ) that can happen on mega profitable movies, deadline that tend to underestimate total cost more than overestimate them (mostly because of the budget and participation bonus line) had Force Awaken costing around 776 million:

http://deadline.com/2016/03/star-wars-the-force-awakens-movie-profit-2015-lucasfilm-disney-1201726142/

Of the 1122 million Spider Man 3 made, Sony kept only 188m of them for an extreme example of how high total cost can go....

Davinci Code went to around 650m.

Well, it ain't called Hollywood Accounting for nothing. As I'm sure many folks here who work in the industry or near it can attest. ;)

If he had gone down that road, I would have had a different response. As it is though I personally think Disney's accountants would have to work overtime to try to claim that The Last Jedi all in all didn't make that much money for Disney. :)

11 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

How long before Disney crosses over Marvel and Star Wars?

A long long time, judging by the comments of folks over at Lucasfilm.

At most some sort if 'what-if' comic or novel might happen.  Beyond that?  I'd say 10 years minimum.  Enough time for the current 'corporate culture' to change over at Lucasfilm in other words.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

For some reason, there’s an increase in the hatred towards women and ethnic minorities getting prominent roles in entertainment in the US. You have a group of alt-right “man babies” online that seem to be offended by everything that doesn’t feature straight white men. These guys are the and they are organizing themselves into attack groups. Unfortunately, there’s an ugly side of the criticism of the Last Jedi that feature these alt-right punks and their nonsense mentality of “SJWs are killing my entertainment” or “why are white men so marginalized in everything these days”. These idiots are going in hard on TLJ but they’re really wasting their time because Kathleen Kennedy has stated it categorically that she’s committed to diversity in the movies. Besides, straight white people have dominated the movie industry for a good long while now, it’s time to allow different people with different ideas come into the conversation.

Right. She's stated before that she's very sensitive and suffers from bad anxiety. She said in an interview a while back that she couldn't handle social media and thought it was bad for her mental health.

I saw some video saying she had the ability to open up a beer bottle with her overbite.

Like really guys? It's one thing to criticize an actor/actress on their performance but that's just low. Like really low.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

As long long time, judging by the comments of folks over at Lucasfilm.

At most some sort if 'what-if' comic or novel might happen.  Beyond that?  I'd say 10 years minimum.  Enough time for the current 'corporate culture' to change over at Lucasfilm in other words.

I could see 15-20 years down the line, both franchises would definitely start experiencing diminishing returns at some point.  In order to spice up growth Disney decides to set up a gimmick crossover movie (and end up settling the series with a reset, which eiliminates the crossover from the respective lore when they’re through)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Orestes said:

Every fandom is toxic, it's why they're called fandoms and not fundoms.

No, I used to think DC had the worst super fans and then TLJ happened. There's a petition to remove TLJ from the canon.

Even Mark Hamill has had to say something.

1 hour ago, TheForceuser707 said:

No. I just know how to read.

"Kennedy has said the film needs to make 800million plus to break even"

http://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-tuesday-rakes-in-20-4m-1202230506/

Are you assuming the movie will make in revenue around $1 for every $1 made a the box office, not impossible for a star wars movie with a small 800m box office (considering is 65% take and larger than usual everywhere, impact on merc, heavy home video), but often now blockbuster do less than $1 by $1 at the box office, because the dvd market went in large part away and never really replaced it.

You could be right, but do not assume someone estimating the break even point to be the same as the total cost... they are 2 different thing even if related.

1 minute ago, The Last Panda said:

I could see 15-20 years down the line, both franchises would definitely start experiencing diminishing returns at some point.  In order to spice up growth Disney decides to set up a gimmick crossover movie (and end up settling the series with a reset, which eiliminates the crossover from the respective lore when they’re through)

If a Star Wars / Marvel crossover ever actually happens, I could see the film breaking some serious box office records. 

• Like 2