Porthos

Tuesday Numbers (Dec 26): TLJ 27.7, Jumanji: 17.1, PP3 7.4, TGS 5.1 (actuals/estimates)

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well, it ain't called Hollywood Accounting for nothing. As I'm sure many folks here who work in the industry or near it can attest. ;)

If he had gone down that road, I would have had a different response. As it is though I personally think Disney's accountants would have to work overtime to try to claim that The Last Jedi all in all didn't make that much money for Disney. :)

Well even at a total price tag of 800m TLJ will be one of the most profitable movie of the year, if it reach that cost it will be because it will make a lot and lot of money (otherwise it will stay much lower)

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

If a Star Wars / Marvel crossover ever actually happens, I could see the film breaking some serious box office records. 

Especially if they’re able to bring back any old actors that they had.  Although given how pissed SW fans got at TLJ, I can’t imagine the reaction to an MCU/SW crossover.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

No, I used to think DC had the worst super fans and then TLJ happened. There's a petition to remove TLJ from the canon.

Even Mark Hamill has had to say something.

"Lucas raped my childhood"

That phrase originated in the late 90s.  SW fans have long been a... passionate bunch.  

Now with social media, it's even more amplified.  Both the light and the dark. As long as we remember the light parts of all fandoms (and there are a LOT) we should be able to push away the darker elements. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Last Panda said:

Imo, his last great movie was Gladiator, and before that only Blade Runner and Alien.  I'd accept his arrogance if it were right after Gladiator or prior (given how great it, Blade Runner and Alien are), after seeing what he's done since?  Not so much.

Guy is 80, makes movies fast and professionally and a good amount of them are pretty good.  And they are certainly handsomely producuded even when they’re lacking.

Not that arrogance is necessarily good, but hey...I’m giving him the go on this.  He’s still a solid filmmaker...hit and miss sure,  but he’s always been that.  And damn, he’s like Harrison Ford entertaining in his who gives a shit way to life these days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

Especially if they’re able to bring back any old actors that they had.  Although given how pissed SW fans got at TLJ, I can’t imagine the reaction to an MCU/SW crossover.

The fandom would probably go absolutely insane over a crossover like that, even if the film opened with 240m or something. Notmystarwars would be in full force. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheForceuser707 said:

Truth be told IMO you won't find a better collection of asinine self deluded comments anywhere on-line, apart it seems for in other box office oriented forums. Why this is I don't really know, but 90% of the posts here are invariably incorrect, and any form of correction or basic simple honesty in terms of logic or observation is quickly shot down. It's absolutely remarkable.

So true. This one one post stuck out to me as particularly so:

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/6659-star-wars-the-last-jedi-december-15-2017-reviews-p442-rt-is-no-“mad-max-fury-road-absolutely-no-spoilers/?do=findComment&comment=3293308

I mean seriously, who tf would predict that after an all time record Saturday a movie would increase on Sunday....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As long as we remember the light parts of all fandoms (and there are a LOT) we should be able to push away the darker elements. 

I do want to remind people that there are a lot of great people in SW fandom.

The 501st and the Rebel Legion both organize many events for charity. Many Star Wars fans organize drives to help people who are sick in hospitals.  A lot of actual Real World good has come not just from SW fandom, but all fandoms across the world.

Sometimes it must seem like fans are just made up of a bunch of Howler Monkeys, flinging their poo all over the net.  But there are tons of kind hearted, decent folk who take the time to help others, some of who they'll never meet.

Let's not lose sight of all the great people in various fandoms, including the vast majority of folks here on BOT. :)

*gets off soap box*

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lancelot123 said:

Except that SuperWhoLock fandom, they're a bunch of loonies. 😂

*cough* I'm one of them *cough*

"I'm not locked in with them.  They're locked in here with me!"

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Right. She's stated before that she's very sensitive and suffers from bad anxiety. She said in an interview a while back that she couldn't handle social media and thought it was bad for her mental health.

I saw some video saying she had the ability to open up a beer bottle with her overbite.

Like really guys? It's one thing to criticize an actor/actress on their performance but that's just low. Like really low.

It is. I really feel bad for her because she seems like a very sweet person and her personality comes through as Rey because no matter what you feel about TLJ or TFA you can’t help but like Rey.

There’s a growing toxicity in fandom though and it seems more and more people (mostly young men) are losing their minds. Maybe it’s a young person thing but people seem easily....threatened these days by women or people that are different from them.

On cbr (comicbookresources)some asshat was saying that Rey should be killed off because he doesn’t want to see Daisy Ridley in Star Wars ever again. Some other idiot was talking about how “arrogant “ she is because she’s not so well versed in Star Wars lore..lololololol..Fortunately, cbr is one of the better run websites with level headed and knowledgeable posters and these idiots were rightly called out for their bullshit.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MattW said:

So true. This one one post stuck out to me as particularly so:

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/6659-star-wars-the-last-jedi-december-15-2017-reviews-p442-rt-is-no-“mad-max-fury-road-absolutely-no-spoilers/?do=findComment&comment=3293308

I mean seriously, who tf would predict that after an all time record Saturday a movie would increase on Sunday....

He has gone from predicting ow Sunday increasing from ow Sat, to the movie crashing from now on and missing 600 dom. Amazing swing from one end of the pendulum to another. Bloody hormones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Last Panda said:

How long before Disney crosses over Marvel and Star Wars?

Do Patton Oswalt’s Crossover Pitch!

You are more likely to see MCU / Indiana Jones. Joe Johnson confirmed that the line from Captain America: The First Avenger about “digging for trinkets in the desert” is a reference to Raiders if the Lost Ark. So, in theory, Indiana Jones Already exists in the MCU. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quigley said:

any Wednesday numbers from our experts here?

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I think The Last Jedi is going to hit $22m or $23m today.  

From about three hours ago.  Hopefully it's still in that ballpark. :)

• Thanks 2

That number would be great if it comes true.

Also, fandoms in general are shit. These poor people can never enjoy a movie, they always search for the smallest of flaws to have a reason for a meltdown. Grown Men/Women crying over a fucking space fantasy movie.

Its really sad.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1