Porthos

Tuesday Numbers (Dec 26): TLJ 27.7, Jumanji: 17.1, PP3 7.4, TGS 5.1 (actuals/estimates)

From the first Monday through yesterday was 9.6% ahead of Rogue One which would average out the calendar differences somewhat, so anything over 20 is good and 22 or more I'd say is quite strong relative to its post-opening performance so far.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

I have to be honest I already love this place after my first full day, I have laughed way more than I expected I would.

I love the people here, they’re a ridiculously knowledgeable group of people. It’s weird you have a forum of people who are legitimately better at box office predictions than most media / analysts. They also are huge movie fans. Like I think I see a lot of movies but I would have to say I’m in the bottom half here. 

Plus some people - even ones who don’t like me - like @That One Guy consistently make me laugh with just about everything they post. I’m always laughing reading peoples comments. It’s a witty group.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

Be reasonable and look at things with opened eyes.

Like this?

main-qimg-ed23d9866da0882d2b994338a31dc8

Well, I loved TLJ so call me Cypher and gimme that blue pill. :D

--

More seriously, roller-coaster runs are fun to watch.  They don't have to be record breaking to be fun.  If those were the only fun ones here, this would be a pretty lousy forum.  Thankfully most of us like to watch the unexpected.  Or at least the surprising. And if not, we'll invent our own amusement via clubs and whatnot.

This is a box office forum after all. Getting interested in movies runs is kinda the whole point, no? :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Seems like a normal drop to me, but also too early to count on it. Even Disney’s official estimate for Tuesday dropped $600k with actuals. 

I would say it’s above average...if it holds. Boxing Day + whatever theaters still having discounts on Tuesday. I expected around 20 mil myself 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Like this?

main-qimg-ed23d9866da0882d2b994338a31dc8

Well, I loved TLJ so call me Cypher and gimme that blue pill. :D

--

More seriously, roller-coaster runs are fun to watch.  They don't have to be record breaking to be fun.  If those were the only fun ones here, this would be a pretty lousy forum.  Thankfully most of us like to watch the unexpected.  Or at least the surprising. And if not, we'll invent our own amusement via clubs and whatnot.

This is a box office forum after all. Getting interested in movies runs is kinda the whole point, no? :)

I'm only here for the Legs honestly. 

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Seems like a normal drop to me, but also too early to count on it. Even Disney’s official estimate for Tuesday dropped $600k with actuals. 

Well, R1 dropped 30% on its Dec 27 with Discount Tuesday to help it and then dropped another 20% on its second Wednesday. 

If one just looks at the Wed-Wed comparison, it's no big deal. But I'd rather look at the Dec 27 to Dec 27 and see how much it might drop.  And anything better than a 25% drop looks good to me.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

I don't get it. What is all of this pride in a greedy company's ability to cozen the movie going public into handing them large sums of money?

Box office used to be a reflection of how well movies are received.

Now it's a reflection of how gullible people happen to be. 

I see nothing remarkable or praiseworthy in anything related to The Last Jedi, least of all the money it's making for Disney.

It has broken only one record thus far and that's for the largest intra-weekend drop of all time, and it's going to end with a disappointing total which will barely cover its costs.

Yeah. Sure. You're fans. You like Star Wars or whatever, but come on now. Be reasonable and look at things with opened eyes.

Like this chap.  Look how OPEN his eyes are, sheeple.

charlie-day-conspiracy.jpg

• Like 3

Your resident Star Wars nutjob is finishing a workout while watching my Vegas Golden Knights hockey before the 10:30 pm IMAX TLJ. Gotta support the late showings!

By the way tomorrow headed to see Jumanji with the GF :) No worries I’m catching the 10:30 pm TLJ IMAX again tomorrow night so I’ll equalize my tickets for Jumanji hehe.

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

Like this chap.  Look how OPEN his eyes are, sheeple.

charlie-day-conspiracy.jpg

On 12/17/2017 at 12:45 AM, Porthos said:

@JonathanLB Thinking about changing my name to Pepe Silvia for a bit. Think that's a bit too on the nose?

Dammit everyone, stop tempting me like this! :lol:

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

TLJ looks to pass $500M and BATB on Saturday to claim #1 for calendar 2017. That's a damn fine haul after 16 days even if it was expected to be above $600M by then. Pay no attention to TFA being at $720M on its sixteenth day.

7KLFJHB.gif