DeeCee

Thursday Numbers (Asgard): TLJ $19.5 J $15m

9 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Really?? Wow haha that’s kind of crazy / bizarre!

2013: Catching Fire passed Iron Man 3 on Jan 9, 2014.

2014: American Sniper made the vast majority of its money in 2015. (It passed Mockingjay Pt 1 on March 9, 2015, FTR)

2015: The Force Awakens passed Jurassic World on Jan 1, 2016 (missed it by ONE day)

2016: Rogue One passed That Stupid Blue Fish Finding Dory on Jan 13.

2017: The Last Jedi looks to pass Beauty and the Beast on either Dec 30 or Dec 31. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

Two films from the same studio doing 500+ in a year is a first.

2015 could have been that year for Disney if Ultron had made it to 500 like most expected.

2018 I don't see 2 films from a studio doing 500+.

2019 Disney should do it again with at least TLK and SW9 (same combo - Live action adaptation of a classic animation & SW - as this year). They also have TA4, Fro2en and TS4.

• Like 2

That 2019 Disney lineup is unfair. Shouldn’t be allowed :P lol wow. Fair to say a lot of movies in the $300M range are going to be tumbling down the all time list that year, I’d say.

If Beauty can make $500M I wonder what Lion King could make? I don’t really have a good sense there but I thought Lion King is almost a bigger phenomenon even. I never was into that movie to be honest. I saw it the first time in French, during class, and I don’t care about it at all but I still feel like that movie will be huge. Unless people don’t buy into the whole live action thing but they did for Beauty. 

I’m excited about the 2018 movie schedule, lots I want to see between stuff like Black Panther and Infinity War and Venom, Equalizer 2, Wreck it Ralph 2 (love the first!), and Bumblebee. Way more too...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stripe said:

In 2019 we might see for the first time a studio with 5 400M+ grossers.

that year at least we should have 10 films doing 300+ dom (all studios combined). Record is 9 in 2016. This year it's 7 (8 if Jumanji over-performs even more).

5 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

That 2019 Disney lineup is unfair. Shouldn’t be allowed :P lol wow. Fair to say a lot of movies in the $300M range are going to be tumbling down the all time list that year, I’d say.

If Beauty can make $500M I wonder what Lion King could make? I don’t really have a good sense there but I thought Lion King is almost a bigger phenomenon even. I never was into that movie to be honest. I saw it the first time in French, during class, and I don’t care about it at all but I still feel like that movie will be huge. Unless people don’t buy into the whole live action thing but they did for Beauty. 

I’m excited about the 2018 movie schedule, lots I want to see between stuff like Black Panther and Infinity War and Venom, Equalizer 2, Wreck it Ralph 2 (love the first!), and Bumblebee. Way more too...

TLK and SW9 could give Disney 2 600+ grossers in the same year (though SW9 may not make it to 600 by Dec 31st - TFA was at 651.9 by Dec 31st so sub 600 for SW9 within the year is conceivable).

Edited by a2knet

Jumanji's run has been fun to watch. The movie serves as both counter-programming to TLJ and is something else for audiences to see who’ve already seen TLJ.

The perfect movie to release against a 600m+ DOM juggernaut.

Edited by Mojoguy

Yeah I was surprised that some here were surprised at Jumanji’s run. When I saw it on the schedule I was annoyed because I knew it would be real competition for Last Jedi. I didn’t think Sing would be any competition last year, but I don’t have a good sense of that type of kids film. Looked like shit to me so I avoided it lol.

40 minutes ago, ReyReyBattery said:

That's a fun stat. I like it.

Just had a look at TFA's numbers and man was it close. JW got that win by the skin of it's teeth.

I remember following it and being on the edge of my seat!!

16 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Two films from the same studio doing 500+ in a year is a first.

2015 could have been that year for Disney if Ultron had made it to 500 like most expected.

2018 I don't see 2 films from a studio doing 500+.

Disney has a shot with Infinity War, Incredibles 2, Solo, and dare I say...... Deadpool 2 😂😂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lancelot123 said:

I remember following it and being on the edge of my seat!!

Disney has a shot with Infinity War, Incredibles 2, Solo, and dare I say...... Deadpool 2 😂😂

IW can do 500+.

I2 imo will target TS3 on the high-end. Nemo was much bigger than I1 and Dory did 486. So at least going by that I2 doing 500+ seems very unlikely.

Solo also unlikely. If it shows the same drop from SW8 that RO showed from SW7 it will target 380-385. So 425 could be the high-end.

😂 DP2 may show at least an SM1 to SM2 like 7-8% drop. Even a 7-8% bump gives 390 odd, so 400 is highly unlikely, nevermind 500.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

IW can do 500+.

I2 imo will target TS3 on the high-end. Nemo was much bigger than I1 and Dory did 486. So at least going by that I2 doing 500+ seems very unlikely.

Solo also unlikely. If it shows the same drop from SW8 that RO showed from SW7 it will target 380-385. So 425 could be the high-end.

😂 DP2 may show at least an SM1 to SM2 like 7-8% drop. Even a 7-8% bump gives 390 odd, so 400 is highly unlikely, nevermind 500.

I agree, I think Solo’s high end is $425M. More likely $350-400M, still a strong result I think. But that’ll depend what they spent, I guess. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lancelot123 said:

2019 is going to be HUGE for Disney if things remain in place. Dumbo, Aladdin!!!, Lion King, Toy Story 4, Avengers, SW9, Frozen 2, Captain Marvel which could be another Wonder Woman.

3 of those live actions in 1 year will surely not happen. I think both Dumbo and Aladdin will come at least a year later.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

IW can do 500+.

Long shots indeed, but I was just saying that IF they could do it, it would have to be with those.

Incredibles 2 is the only trailer where I've heard a large number of people clapping and cheering. Not just one or two like usual. Multiple different  times. Adults. And that was just a teaser. People in their early 20s seem to be in love with the Incredibles. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lancelot123 said:

Long shots indeed, but I was just saying that IF they could do it, it would have to be with those.

Incredibles 2 is the only trailer where I've heard a large number of people clapping and cheering. Not just one or two like usual. Multiple different  times. Adults. And that was just a teaser. People in their early 20s seem to be in love with the Incredibles. 

Same. I was surprised by that but indeed, seen the trailer / teaser many times now in front of TLJ and many times drew applause and cheers and general sense of excitement. I love the first movie, I think it’s fantastic, and as a die hard Nietzsche fan and scholar to have a message he would approve in major entertainment is awesome; and most moviegoers won’t even notice. Even better. But I wasn’t wowed or anything by the teaser so I assume the cheering and stuff was just excitement about it existing haha.