DeeCee

Thursday Numbers (Asgard): TLJ $19.5 J $15m

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Disagree. Under 700m domestic and overseas wasn't predicted by anyone so there is some disappointment there automatically. Even after opening weekend people were saying numbers like 850m

I went with exactly 700m in the Winter game. I figure that's at least a moral victory.

• Thanks 1

Heh, I went with $222M OW, $700M DOM, and 1.5B WW. I feel pretty good about those.

I actually think we're starting to see a bit of SW-fatigue. Not in the sense of dragging them genuinely down, but 3 years in a row (with more to come) will eventually bring SW down to conventional blockbuster status.

Edited by Wrath

1 hour ago, Christmas baumer said:

Gotta love it when people tell you that you are crazy and that there is a 0% chance of it happening and that it will gross less than Clones adjusted HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wow you guys seriously needed some more SW fanboys because those are bizarre reactions. I think every reasonable SW fan understood beating Avatar was a 50-50 chance at worst. It wasn’t at all unlikely. There has never been a more likely #1 actually. I can’t believe people thought a STAR WARS movie would make $400M or something when it’s the first movie in 10 years in 2015. Holy shit maybe if you’re 16 years old and still learning box office history, I guess.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

A drop worldwide of about 70m tickets. 

I just did a $600m grosser with BOM est tickets. It’s impossible to be more exact due to overseas pricing. 

A lack of repeat viewings from a wide swath of the fanbase, casual and hardcore.  To be fair it may not be a statement on the movie, could just be more people are satisfied to do repeat viewings later on bluray/streaming for whatever reason.

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I don’t think it will get to 700. Titanic at 659 is the goal. 

It stopping at 658 would make me explode. Not only missing Titanic by 1M, but missing the 3 multi by 2M.

Thankfully, TLJ beating Titanic/reaching 660M is still very much possible.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jjack339 said:

So you basically predict each weekend day will perform just about like Thursday? Seems pretty unlikely. Even with just decent weekend bumps this thing will be pushing 70. 

It’s not a normal weekend. Crapload of people were off work and school for those daily numbers this week. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Finally seeing Jumanji. Last day of work. Then on vacay for ten days. But I don't start till 1. So Jumanji it is.

Is your vacation schedule just built like that? 

Just throws me off with the 1st being the start date rather than the big holiday break.

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It’s not a normal weekend. Crapload of people were off work and school for those daily numbers this week. 

of course, but a lot of people are working this week, especially wed-fri. to only hit 60m it would need very little increase Friday, and Saturday then a harder drop on sunday. I see more of a 23-24 Friday, 27-28 sat, and 17-18 NYE (NYE is not a good BO day, but not as harsh as CMAS eve). I see 65m+

• Like 1

Just now, jjack339 said:

of course, but a lot of people are working this week, especially wed-fri. to only hit 60m it would need very little increase Friday, and Saturday then a harder drop on sunday. I see more of a 23-24 Friday, 27-28 sat, and 17-18 NYE (NYE is not a good BO day, but not as harsh as CMAS eve). I see 65m+

64-65, I would agree with that. Could go higher but could go lower too. 

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

I never understood why people were so hard on AOU's gross. It grossed more than TA1 overseas and experienced a sizable, but not too bad drop from the first DOM. Its still the third-highest grossing SH of all time DOM only behind the cultural phenomenons that were TDK and TA1. Its the highest grossing SH movie of all time OS.

Calling that an underperformance seems illogical.

I think for people that started to follow box office late 2000, early 2010, they got use to a small windows when it was common for sequels to growth (3D boosting pricing a lot, China coming from not even be in consideration to adding 9 figures to the movie box office and overall world market growth).

You could see it in the conversation of the DCEU being just the x first entry, has if it was certain that their sequels would growth, instead of the almost always drop of the past. Ticket pricing stabilized, China growth was almost nill for hollywood title in 2015-2016, world market growth in part because of exchange rate slowed, and since that late 2014 exchange rate drop and 3d sequel or already 3d movie we got more back to the sequels of big successful movie making less paradigm.

Has for illogical to call it an under-performance being illogical, not sure I agree, it has been interpreted has the opening Disney used to remove Marvel people in control of their studios and took direct control out of it, would it have happened if Ultron have not underperformed in their mind ?