DeeCee

Thursday Numbers (Asgard): TLJ $19.5 J $15m

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

my friend didn't like jumanji :hahaha:

"it didn't add anything to the Jumanji lore"

"I guess...? Did you like the first Jumanji?"

"oh I've never seen it"

WHAT THE FUXK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT A FUCKING LORE THEN?? STOP READING REVIEWS OR BEING SO CRITICAL 😂😂😂

#notmyJumanji

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

You talk about 2019 but Black Panther, Ant Man 2, Infinity War, Han Solo, Incredibles 2, Wreck it Ralph 2 and Mary Poppins 2, that's not a bad line up for 2018...

I have a long shot hope that Incredibles is #1 domestic next year. It feels like a perfect storm brewing. Exceptionally positive response from teaser, Pixar is huge, animation is pretty huge, superheroes are massive right now. I mean, things could go very right for this film and we could be seeing I2 > IW (Dom), and perhaps even Pixars largest to date.

its the similar reason to why I think Jurassic world 2 is gonna do gangbusters, you just don't see dinosaur films coming out, and people love dinosaurs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the beast said:

Oh so do you think these numbers will be pretty accurate to what theyll actually be once they release actual numbers

Yes, because all studios have access to all films box office so they have someone from their studio do the numbers for all films.  So the numbers being released are estimates based on complete numbers up to a certain point.  Also, if you check out RTH, when he gives the numbers, they are almost identical to studio estimates.

• Like 1

I've been doing some thinking about TLJ and the so called underwhelming performance.  Take a look at this thread:

This was a club I made way before presales and the hype took over.  Most people in the club, before the presales numbers were released, had TFA making between 500-650 million, some said as high as 700.  No one had it doing passing Avatar domestically and no one had it doing 800 million.  Even my prediction at the beginning of the thread was 550 domestic.  No one saw the absolute craziness that TFA would delight us with for the duration of its run.  No one thought it would come even close to the insane number of 937 million.

Why do I bring this up?  Well, maybe those of us, including myself, who are claiming that TLJ isn't doing what it should be doing, need to step back and realize that TFA was just a once in a generation anomaly and even though it (TLJ) opened to 220 million, finishing with 650-700 is still a remarkable number.  It will more than likely be the third highest grossing film domestically of all time and will be probably end up in the 7 or 8th slot world wide.  If TFA hadn't of come along and destroyed the box office, if it would have even made "just" 1.6 billion, then this performance by TLJ would have been looked upon much differently.

The multiplier is still a little vexing (although it could still get to north of 3.2, especially with next week acting like a holiday week) and it still should get to a minimum of 3X.  The number that really messed me up is the Christmas Day bump of only 55%.  So there is no denying that the wom has been affected by those of us who didn't care for it.  But if TFA hadn't destroyed records, this run, the numbers it's putting up would be considered very strong.  Maybe I need to step back and just realize hat 660-720 million is a hell of a gross and to just not look at it as a juxtaposition against the opening weekend.  

I think it's easy to criticize the films run because of the opening weekend and the weak CD bump, but if TFA hadn't done what it did, we'd be singing a different tune about TLJ.  Most people had TFA doing less than 700 million, in fact no one predicted it to hit 700 before the presales numbers were released.  And now this one will probably hit that number and yet we call it a disappointment.  I'm more guilty than most for doing it, and that stems from me being upset at the film thematically.  But when you look at the dollars and not anything else, it's doing quite phenomenal. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

I've been doing some thinking about TLJ and the so called underwhelming performance.  Take a look at this thread:

This was a club I made way before presales and the hype took over.  Most people in the club, before the presales numbers were released, had TFA making between 500-650 million, some said as high as 700.  No one had it doing passing Avatar domestically and no one had it doing 800 million.  Even my prediction at the beginning of the thread was 550 domestic.  No one saw the absolute craziness that TFA would delight us with for the duration of its run.  No one thought it would come even close to the insane number of 937 million.

Why do I bring this up?  Well, maybe those of us, including myself, who are claiming that TLJ isn't doing what it should be doing, need to step back and realize that TFA was just a once in a generation anomaly and even though it opened to 220 million, finishing with 650-700 is still a remarkable number.  It will more than likely be the third highest grossing film domestically of all time and will be probably end up in the 7 or 8th slot world wide.  If TFA hadn't of come along and destroyed the box office, if it would have even made "just" 1.6 billion, then this performance by TLJ would have been looked upon much differently.

The multiplier is still a little vexing (although it could still get to north of 3.2, especially with next week acting like a holiday week) and it still should get to a minimum of 3X.  The number that really messed me up is the Christmas Day bump of only 55%.  So there is no denying that the wom has been affected by those of us who didn't care for it.  But if TFA hadn't destroyed records, this run, the numbers it's putting up would be considered very strong.  Maybe I need to step back and just realize hat 660-720 million is a hell of a gross and to just not look at it as a juxtaposition with the opening weekend.  

I think it's easy to criticize the films run because of the opening weekend and the weak CD bump, but if TFA hadn't done what it did, we'd be singing a different tune about TLJ.  Mots people had TFA doing less than 700 million, in fact no one predicted it to hit 700 before the presales numbers were released.  And now this one will probably hit that number and yet we call it a disappointment.  I'm more guilty that most for doing it, and that stems from me being upset at the film thematically.  But when you look at the dollars and not anything else, it's doing quite phenomenal. 

Great post.

We're spoiled with SW thanks to TFA. Thats why i myself have this thing with the "neutral perspective" of any films box office run. Objectively, anyone describing a movies run that will easily surpass 600M DOM as "disappointing" or even "bad" needs to really think again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Great post.

We're spoiled with SW thanks to TFA. Thats why i myself have this thing with the "neutral perspective" of any films box office run. Objectively, anyone describing a movies run that will easily surpass 600M DOM as "disappointing" or even "bad" needs to really think again.

It' the opening weekend that is doing to us.  If it would have opened to less than 200 million and finished with 660-700, none of us would be "disappointed" in the total.  But maybe that's just something we need to get past.  

• Like 3

@Christmas baumer 

Great post! :bravo:

I don't think that TFA spoiled people but that underperformance narrative started to overtake when chances for TLJ's missing 700M became rather good. You say that 660-720M range is great which it is but 720M finish would look really good off 936M while 660M would be just OK. It's really all down to perspective. I don't think that people lament the lack of 800M dom but 700M range was a realistic goal and it's a rollercoaster now whether it'll hit the mark. Still staggering performance but, again, 720M is a little more staggering (less movies that crossed the 700M mark) than 660M (more movies that crossed the 600M milestone). 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Why do I bring this up?  Well, maybe those of us, including myself, who are claiming that TLJ isn't doing what it should be doing, need to step back and realize that TFA was just a once in a generation anomaly and even though it opened to 220 million, finishing with 650-700 is still a remarkable number.  It will more than likely be the third highest grossing film domestically of all time and will be probably end up in the 7 or 8th slot world wide.  If TFA hadn't of come along and destroyed the box office, if it would have even made "just" 1.6 billion, then this performance by TLJ would have been looked upon much differently.

The multiplier is still a little vexing (although it could still get to north of 3.2, especially with next week acting like a holiday week) and it still should get to a minimum of 3X.  The number that really messed me up is the Christmas Day bump of only 55%.  So there is no denying that the wom has been affected by those of us who didn't care for it.  But if TFA hadn't destroyed records, this run, the numbers it's putting up would be considered very strong.  Maybe I need to step back and just realize hat 660-720 million is a hell of a gross and to just not look at it as a juxtaposition with the opening weekend.  

I think it's easy to criticize the films run because of the opening weekend and the weak CD bump, but if TFA hadn't done what it did, we'd be singing a different tune about TLJ.  Mots people had TFA doing less than 700 million, in fact no one predicted it to hit 700 before the presales numbers were released.  And now this one will probably hit that number and yet we call it a disappointment.  I'm more guilty that most for doing it, and that stems from me being upset at the film thematically.  But when you look at the dollars and not anything else, it's doing quite phenomenal. 

Excellent post, baumer. My thoughts exactly. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Why do I bring this up?  Well, maybe those of us, including myself, who are claiming that TLJ isn't doing what it should be doing, need to step back and realize that TFA was just a once in a generation anomaly and even though it (TLJ) opened to 220 million, finishing with 650-700 is still a remarkable number.  It will more than likely be the third highest grossing film domestically of all time and will be probably end up in the 7 or 8th slot world wide.  If TFA hadn't of come along and destroyed the box office, if it would have even made "just" 1.6 billion, then this performance by TLJ would have been looked upon much differently.

The multiplier is still a little vexing (although it could still get to north of 3.2, especially with next week acting like a holiday week) and it still should get to a minimum of 3X.  The number that really messed me up is the Christmas Day bump of only 55%.  So there is no denying that the wom has been affected by those of us who didn't care for it.  But if TFA hadn't destroyed records, this run, the numbers it's putting up would be considered very strong.  Maybe I need to step back and just realize hat 660-720 million is a hell of a gross and to just not look at it as a juxtaposition against the opening weekend.  

I think it's easy to criticize the films run because of the opening weekend and the weak CD bump, but if TFA hadn't done what it did, we'd be singing a different tune about TLJ.  Most people had TFA doing less than 700 million, in fact no one predicted it to hit 700 before the presales numbers were released.  And now this one will probably hit that number and yet we call it a disappointment.  I'm more guilty than most for doing it, and that stems from me being upset at the film thematically.  But when you look at the dollars and not anything else, it's doing quite phenomenal. 

Or indeed, this little gem:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

This is approx a 10.6% drop for TLJ. Slightly worse than drop of R1 of 7.2% on its Second Thursday, but TLJ also never had that monster 30% drop earlier in the week that R1 had on its post Xmas/Boxing Day run.

Not sure what it says, but it's probably saying something.:)

To me, it's saying TLJ is surging past $500m DOM in the next couple of days, which is really impressive on its own terms. 

Looks like it will be close as to whether it will pass BATB for #1 DOM film of 2017 (by which i mean dollars earned in 2017). 

Edited by estebanJ

4 hours ago, a2knet said:

I2 imo will target TS3 on the high-end. Nemo was much bigger than I1 and Dory did 486. So at least going by that I2 doing 500+ seems very unlikely.

Don’t sleep on TI2.