DeeCee

Thursday Numbers (Asgard): TLJ $19.5 J $15m

I think like with last weekend Fri and Mon holds will be ok for SW8 but Sat and Sun will be very strong. Sat especially surprised on OW too with it's jump from true Friday.

21.1 (+8%)

24.5 (+16.5%)

17.4 (-29%)

20.1 (+15.5%)

= 63.0 / 83.1

Around 548 cume, on track for 660-670 imo.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if TLJ drops down to RO #s after Monday and stays either on par or slightly behind it after that.

No, it will have some boost through next Thursday. Could be around 100% ahead of Rogue One’s daily grosses between Tuesday and Thursday. But then back to reality after next weekend. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

No, it will have some boost through next Thursday. Could be around 100% ahead of Rogue One’s daily grosses between Tuesday and Thursday. But then back to reality after next weekend. 

A lot more schools out that week than last year?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Jumanji’s not even in 3D is it? Could be closer to 85% of TLJ attendance for Thursday in that case.

yes Jumanji is in 3D, but it doesn't put any damper on what it is doing

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I’d say it’s possible. Should be easily over 200 going into next weekend.

WOM is insane. The theater I went to last night to see it, had a decent crowd that was completely in it. I'd say 300m is completely possible. 

50 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Heh, I went with $222M OW, $700M DOM, and 1.5B WW. I feel pretty good about those.

I actually think we're starting to see a bit of SW-fatigue. Not in the sense of dragging them genuinely down, but 3 years in a row (with more to come) will eventually bring SW down to conventional blockbuster status.

I see this thought all over the place, but wasn't the prequel trilogy fairly conventional as far as blockbusters go? I know that TPM did very well, but the hype was far greater than the results--and I always assumed it was Lucas's demands on theaters that padded its final gross (it was required to be on summer screens for a long amount of time). But Clones and Sith were not these extraordinary performances. Clones was the third highest grossing film of 2002. Sith did better, but was #1 in a relatively weak year (2005). The following year it would have been easily bested by Pirates 2, and the previous year it would have been easily bested by Shrek 2

Furthermore, none of these films ever made it to that "pop culture legend" status that other films of the time did. Lord of the Rings was far more impactful. Potter too. The Matrix made a much bigger impact than TPM did in 1999.

In other words, Star Wars already went back down to "conventional" blockbuster status with the three prequels. Force Awakens returned it to phenomenon status. Last Jedi could have easily fallen back to conventional status, but it clearly hasn't happened.

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

WOM is insane. The theater I went to last night to see it, had a decent crowd that was completely in it. I'd say 300m is completely possible. 

I dont think nearly anyone saw $200m+ a few months ago for Jumanji let alone $300m+

Was eating sone macdonalds and overheard some teens arguing about wether theyre watching jumanji or tlj. I couldnt stand by so i told them jumanji was hilarious and tlj was pretty boring.   by by by

I wonder which they went to see :hahaha:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, the beast said:

I dont think nearly anyone saw $200m+ a few months ago for Jumanji let alone $300m+

I expected Jumanji to do well. Just not as well as it's doing right now. Definitely one of the box office surprises / stories of the year. 

• Like 2

If 19.5 holds, that is 16.6% higher than Rogue One’s Thursday. If it runs 16.6% ahead of Rogue One’s remaining gross, Last Jedi finishes at $647.5 million. 

Next Tuesday-Thursday should be a nice boost for Last Jedi compared to Rogue One. Hopefully it can run 24.5% ahead to reach $660m total and 3.0 multiplier. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Jumanji will easily be one of the most shocking 300 grossers of all time if it gets there. Probably even ahead of the likes of Deadpool, Alice, and American Sniper.

yes, but still 2nd in shock value this year, behind IT.