Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

Just now, filmlover said:

Gonna be really fascinating to see how the box office for BlacKkKlansman ends up. Hoping it at least enters Focus' top 10. Box office success will only help it remain being a major contender.

hopefully it makes enough to win best popular picture.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

lol I'm not even gonna call it that. Gonna stick with Best Disney Movie Award because that's basically what it is.

Isn't that already Best Animated Feature?  I guess this is Best Disney Movie Award 2.0

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 4:11 PM, CoolioD1 said:

i think spike lee could win best director, maybe even best picture if the movie is a break out. and i'm someone who was just kinda 7/10 on it but i can see the love being there.

Yeah, I can definitely see this gunning for the big win.  Of course, it’ll depend how other major players turn out. 

Personally really liked the movie, but I could see potential backlash on it being too overtly blunt, and something more ‘subtle’ winning instead.

• Like 1

I know that the Coen Brothers wrote The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, but I do think there are two major things against it; number one is that the movie is an anthology film according to the description found on the film's Google page. The second is that Netflix can't get everything they aim for, and if they can, it's unproven. So I think the film will ultimately fail to have a chance at Original Screenplay; because even when it doesn't seem like there's much competition, there still is valid competition hiding where you least expect it.

I love the Coen Brothers but like Marty with the Irishman, Buster Scruggs has about the most played concept/conceit I can imagine for a Coens Brothers movie. Need a misanthropic Coens western about as much as I need another Marty gangster movie. 

I'd say based on early buzz/festival prestige/concept Roma would be the early favorite, but since it is a Netflix release who really knows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'd say based on early buzz/festival prestige/concept Roma would be the early favorite, but since it is a Netflix release who really knows.

it would be great if in the year they added the popular picture award they gave best picture to a black and white foreign language netflix movie. ABC would be thrilled.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

it would be great if in the year they added the popular picture award they gave best picture to a black and white foreign language netflix movie. ABC would be thrilled.

Netflix is also popular, that must mean Roma is coming for the Popular Picture award too!

• Haha 1

At this point, outside of a few small releases and TV shows, I think TIFF, and I believe all the other fall fests sans AFI, are just about done with their film announcements.

Only major contenders that haven't gotten any festival announcements so far:

-Bohemian Rhapsody

-Backseat/Cheney/whatever it's called

-Mary Queen of Scots

-On the Basis of Sex

-Ad Astra

-Welcome to Marwen

Of course, some of these could still premiere at AFI.

7 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

At this point, outside of a few small releases and TV shows, I think TIFF, and I believe all the other fall fests sans AFI, are just about done with their film announcements.

Only major contenders that haven't gotten any festival announcements so far:

-Bohemian Rhapsody

-Backseat/Cheney/whatever it's called

-Mary Queen of Scots

-On the Basis of Sex

-Ad Astra

-Welcome to Marwen

Of course, some of these could still premiere at AFI.

And Mary Poppins but like Bohemian Rhapsody that's a commercial play first and foremost.

the trailer is pretty good. Beale Street is my favourite trailer of the oscar movies. as for roma i feel like the academy will still default to giving it foreign language film and say "good enough" but if anyone's gonna make the first foreign language best picture win it'll be an A-list filmmaker like cuaron.

• Like 5

So movies from streaming companies must have a theater release to be eligible, right ?

How a bout the Coen project, why a Movie Anthology is eligible at the Oscars ?

In other words, what the flyng fuck is going on in AMPAS land ?