a2k

Wednesday Numbers: TLJ $5.1 million

1 minute ago, NoLegMan said:

my prediction is as long as it's all new characters it will be easier for folks to enjoy it, they may make them more budget friendly as well.

I think with a lack of familiarity to iconic things, I think people may not think of it being anything that remarkable to checkout either. 

34 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m about 75% sure that trilogy isn’t happening, and if/when it gets announced it will pretty much put to rest any speculation of what Disney thinks of TLJs performance.

I am pretty sure they just announced that Rian Johnson starts shooting his new trilogy in Scotland this June. 

Just now, CenterMeOnSam said:

I am pretty sure they just announced that Rian Johnson starts shooting his new trilogy in Scotland this June. 

Well I doubt Solo will drive SW into the ground, but I am certain Rian Johnson will with his trilogy. 

3 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

my prediction is as long as it's all new characters it will be easier for folks to enjoy it, they may make them more budget friendly as well.

Agreed. New characters = more creative freedom. Maybe around $170m budget instead of the $200m budgets we have seen so far.

• Like 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Well I doubt Solo will drive SW into the ground, but I am certain Rian Johnson will with his trilogy. 

Ohhh to be a director who writes and directs a movie that makes over a billion dollars and critical acclaim and be thought of as a failure.

I want to be that type of failure SO. BAD.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RandomYojimbo said:

I think we can all agree that Disney/LFL is so upset with TLJ and it's performance, they are letting Johnson write/direct a Trilogy still.

It's his punishment for TLJ flopping as hard as it did. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CenterMeOnSam said:

Ohhh to be a director who writes and directs a movie that makes over a billion dollars and critical acclaim and be thought of as a failure.

I want to be that type of failure SO. BAD.

Oh please, the success was driven by JJ and TFA and the film has gotten far worse legs then expected and has turned the SW fanbase into a civil war.

Great job he did. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Problem with tlj is the didnt use the bb8 multi effectively. For example the 220ow x current multi x bb8 multi could have taken this above Titanic. The multis at play here all added up big time. 2017calender multi was lower than 2015multi also kyloren hunt multi was below 1, he made the men jealous with his gaint chest. I mean this could habe hit 800m if all the multis combined in the perfect multi storm.

If we look at TLJs full multi

OW x porg x kyloren x calender x rose x sws fatigue

Then look at TFA

OW x bb8 x hansolo x calender x sws hunger x lightsaber sword x BB motherfucking 8 bb

Overall tlj never stod a chance vs tfas multis.

I think Solo will not do well but i don't see it as a sign  of SW fatigue. I personally liked TLJ but have no interest so far in watching Solo.

People who care about Star Wars will not accept Han not being Ford and falling in love with another woman than Leia, for the others it will be the 4th Star Wars movie in a row...not even close to an event movie.

I have just resigned myself to the fact that like Ultron (and to a point CW) we will be discussing the "failure" of TLJ for years to come and only because it serves a narrative for both sides of the argument not because the conversation is consequential.

Also - by golly where are the rest of the Wednesday numbers?

• Like 1

Also - as many think pieces have stated - there must be an argument somewhere for the lack of Event status - even Disney's marketing didn't come close to feeling like an event because it feels like we have been on one multi-year campaign between the theatrical and home video windows. Say what you will but the 3 year gap between installments previously definitely served to wet the appetites of the fan crowd and GA.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I have just resigned myself to the fact that like Ultron (and to a point CW) we will be discussing the "failure" of TLJ for years to come and only because it serves a narrative for both sides of the argument not because the conversation is consequential.

Also - by golly where are the rest of the Wednesday numbers?

Daily Domestic Chart for Wednesday January 3rd, 2018

← Previous Chart Chart Index  

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
- (2) Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Las… Walt Disney $5,100,000 -35% 4,232 $1,205   $544,488,403 20
- (4) Pitch Perfect 3 Universal $2,265,195 -33% 3,468 $653   $73,828,655 13
- (8) Darkest Hour Focus Features $778,545 -17% 943 $826   $21,372,667 43
- (9) Downsizing Paramount Pictures $632,255 -31% 2,664 $237   $20,251,632 13
- (11) Father Figures Warner Bros. $467,119 -32% 2,902 $161   $15,188,848 13
- (13) Molly’s Game STX Entertainment $357,125 -15% 271 $1,318   $6,913,420 10
- (14) Lady Bird A24 $235,613 -5% 392 $601   $32,351,107 62
- (15) Justice League Warner Bros. $178,230 -28% 1,215 $147   $226,339,162 48
- (-) The Disaster Artist A24 $175,593 -15% 507 $346   $18,552,297 34
- (-) Daddy’s Home 2 Paramount Pictures $121,691 -30% 1,073 $113   $102,367,444 55
- (-) Phantom Thread Focus Features $37,910 -3% 4 $9,478   $681,415 10
- (-) A Bad Moms Christmas STX Entertainment $20,357 -9% 214 $95   $71,978,678 64
- (-) The Florida Project A24 $12,443 -5% 33 $377   $5,338,857 90
- (-) Blade Runner 2049 Warner Bros. $11,173 +23% 75 $149   $91,691,337 90
- (-) Geostorm Warner Bros. $8,901 -19% 110 $81   $33,620,034 76
- (-) Hostiles Entertainment Studi… $7,732 -10% 5 $1,546   $118,111 13
- (-) Victoria and Abdul Focus Features $2,440 -13% 23 $106   $22,242,380 104
- (-) Marshall Open Road $1,079 -26% 50 $22   $9,473,687 83
Our box office charts are compiled from data provided to us by distributors. To be included on our charts, please send reports to bodata@the-numbers.com.

Edited by Hermia
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Also - as many think pieces have stated - there must be an argument somewhere for the lack of Event status - even Disney's marketing didn't come close to feeling like an event because it feels like we have been on one multi-year campaign between the theatrical and home video windows. Say what you will but the 3 year gap between installments previously definitely served to wet the appetites of the fan crowd and GA.

I agree, but I guess the question is, would you rather have a billion dollar film a year for three years or one 2 billion dollar film every three years.

Mathematically, at least SO FAR, it's more profitable for them to do it this way. As long as they continue to hit a billion. 

23 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Who’s talking about halting production of anything? Well except maybe RJs trilogy, which has even gone into production. They should however reconsider the annual release plan, especially if Solo underperforms. 

And AoU could have spelled trouble. The quality in phase 2 was a bit on the lazy side and youll notice the films following it didn’t get the kind of boost the ones following TA did. But they got things together for phase 3 and have delivered some of their highest quality work. Now practically every mcu release clears 300m. 

Why would they halt RJ’s trilogy?  It’s already been storyboarded, it brings in new characters and new parts of the universe (so new things to merchandise), and if it doesn’t do as well as the other movies they can go back to what they’re doing now.

However, a fresh new start for SW is exactly what it’ll need post episode 9.  

Even talking fan complaints, the majority of those are based around how the movie treats existing characters, his new trilogy would be new characters (and again, something that’d be needed).

• Like 4