a2k

Wednesday Numbers: TLJ $5.1 million

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah, that's doable. Wonder Woman was $150m budget. Still a lot of money even with the crazy budget inflation we have seen at the top end of the blockbuster game.

Not sure we know WW budget or Ant-Man budget very well or if you guys are talking gross or net, but lower budget than some other of the genre (Captain america first avenger budget was around 196million or around 220m 2017 dollar for example) was apparent on WW SFX and set piece quality, and they had a 300k lead characther actor, low price director and is not necessarility an easy example to follow.

21 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

This something I noticed going through box office mojo

Day 19 TFA: 7.9 Million.
Day 19 TLJ: 7.8 Million.
Day 19 Jurassic World: 7.4 Million.
Day 19 Avengers: 4.9 Million.

I am curious to see what that looks like next Tuesday.

The 2006 holdovers dropped around 70% on Tuesday the 9th compared to Tuesday the 2nd. That would put TLJ's gross likely below $2.5m next Tuesday. TFA was $3.8m, JW was $4.8m, and Avengers was $3.26m on Day 26.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?view=1day&sortdate=2007-01-09&p=.htm

Edited by redfirebird2008

Also as a non-fanboy I am more than ready to see new faces / names / places - it is one of the things that I actually like about R1 even though it ties all the new stuff in around the familiar.

- also based on the PP3 number maybe we should be expecting close to 30%+ drops across the board for the bigger films? Obviously still waiting on others.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RandomYojimbo said:

:ph34r: After dropping Trank, Treverrow, Lord/Miller, totally just waiting to not hurt Johnsons feelings.

Yojimbo is almost as good as a iron jimbo.

Sequel is great too.

8 minutes ago, CenterMeOnSam said:

I agree, but I guess the question is, would you rather have a billion dollar film a year for three years or one 2 billion dollar film every three years.

Mathematically, at least SO FAR, it's more profitable for them to do it this way. As long as they continue to hit a billion. 

It is profitable short term but will hurt the franchise long term IMO.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CenterMeOnSam said:

I agree, but I guess the question is, would you rather have a billion dollar film a year for three years or one 2 billion dollar film every three years.

Mathematically, at least SO FAR, it's more profitable for them to do it this way. As long as they continue to hit a billion. 

The box office doesn't matter in that regard.

A film a year drives merchandise sales far more than a film every three years does. They can push out a load of shitty new toys whenever a film comes out and make shitloads consistently rather than having toy sales fall off a cliff for the two and a half years after a movie is released.

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

It is profitable short term but will hurt the franchise long term IMO.

I mean, we definitely see "saturation" affect every now and again. But we've been told that superhero films would start to go that way too, and here is Marvel, still slinging out success after success ten plus years later, with sometimes not one but TWO movies a year. 

I'm not so sure Star Wars won't do the same. 

50 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You guys are missing the point of all of this, which is the future not the present. Saying “everything is fine in the now” is a recipe for disaster in Hollywood. That’s how franchises get into trouble. TLJs run should definitely serve as warning signs that Disney can’t just do whatever they want with SW and throw one out every year and green pastures forever. If they don’t handle the brand with more care and caution, we will have an SW bomb at the box office and possible genuine SW fatigue on the whole. And it may be way sooner than most here think. 

I already think this is happening. I saw the Variety article that hypothesized it but the writer himself didn't hear people saying it's a reality as yet.

I disagree. The novel excitement of Star Wars is gone and that is one of a few factors impacting TLJ receipts at the box office. 

Solo will decline.

Ep 9 will decline

The decline will have no bearing on the perceived quality of the films. It will be due to people not feeling urgency to rush out because there is no more "last SW movie ever" feeling as there has been in the past. 

SW will now start suffering like other major franchises with consistent exposure. 

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I am curious to see what that looks like next Tuesday.

Avengers had a holiday that Monday that would be the only odd day based on me looking, it made 10 mill so we couldn't count that one.

Edited by NoLegMan

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Also as a non-fanboy I am more than ready to see new faces / names / places - it is one of the things that I actually like about R1 even though it ties all the new stuff in around the familiar.

- also based on the PP3 number maybe we should be expecting close to 30%+ drops across the board for the bigger films? Obviously still waiting on others.

I think a new trilogy also bores well for an International Expansion.  It’d be a new story and give people a fresh entry into the franchise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hw64 said:

The box office doesn't matter in that regard.

A film a year drives merchandise sales far more than a film every three years does. They can push out a load of shitty new toys whenever a film comes out and make shitloads consistently rather than having toy sales fall off a cliff for the two and a half years after a movie is released.

Toy Sales for TLJ already well below TFA 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-last-jedi-toy-shipments-down-sharply-force-awakens-1069479

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hermia said:

Daily Domestic Chart for Wednesday January 3rd, 2018

← Previous Chart Chart Index  

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
- (2) Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Las… Walt Disney $5,100,000 -35% 4,232 $1,205   $544,488,403 20
- (4) Pitch Perfect 3 Universal $2,265,195 -33% 3,468 $653   $73,828,655 13
- (8) Darkest Hour Focus Features $778,545 -17% 943 $826   $21,372,667 43
- (9) Downsizing Paramount Pictures $632,255 -31% 2,664 $237   $20,251,632 13
- (11) Father Figures Warner Bros. $467,119 -32% 2,902 $161   $15,188,848 13
- (13) Molly’s Game STX Entertainment $357,125 -15% 271 $1,318   $6,913,420 10
- (14) Lady Bird A24 $235,613 -5% 392 $601   $32,351,107 62
- (15) Justice League Warner Bros. $178,230 -28% 1,215 $147   $226,339,162 48
- (-) The Disaster Artist A24 $175,593 -15% 507 $346   $18,552,297 34
- (-) Daddy’s Home 2 Paramount Pictures $121,691 -30% 1,073 $113   $102,367,444 55
- (-) Phantom Thread Focus Features $37,910 -3% 4 $9,478   $681,415 10
- (-) A Bad Moms Christmas STX Entertainment $20,357 -9% 214 $95   $71,978,678 64
- (-) The Florida Project A24 $12,443 -5% 33 $377   $5,338,857 90
- (-) Blade Runner 2049 Warner Bros. $11,173 +23% 75 $149   $91,691,337 90
- (-) Geostorm Warner Bros. $8,901 -19% 110 $81   $33,620,034 76
- (-) Hostiles Entertainment Studi… $7,732 -10% 5 $1,546   $118,111 13
- (-) Victoria and Abdul Focus Features $2,440 -13% 23 $106   $22,242,380 104
- (-) Marshall Open Road $1,079 -26% 50 $22   $9,473,687 83
Our box office charts are compiled from data provided to us by distributors. To be included on our charts, please send reports to bodata@the-numbers.com.

Justice league finally outgrossed Logan.

1 minute ago, New Year New Panda said:

I think a new trilogy also bores well for an International Expansion.  It’d be a new story and give people a fresh entry into the franchise.

Star Wars isn't picking up a large percentage of undecideds at this point. It's at a cultural mass absorption point. 

You're either in or your not at this point. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Such growth would be rather limited I think, as SW does connect with such audiences. 

It also means a decline in markets that are attached to the Skywalker Brand of SW films as well. 

I dont see how Rian Johnson films are going to do as good TLJ or close to them WW. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I'm pretty sure Rian Johnson has said that he doesn't even know what era he's going to set the new trilogy in yet, never mind there being a script or storyboards.  

From what I understand he had to have pitched something in order to get green lighted.  Regardless, I think the worst that happens to Johnson’s trilogy is that it gets a bit more oversight from Kennedy to ensure it doesn’t do anything to controversial.

1 minute ago, New Year New Panda said:

I agree as well. It's funny because my wife and I are very different - she grew up with SWs I did not and so I feel like the OS crowd that never got around to it the first go that only cares in the aspect of am I entertained versus OMG I HAVE TO SEE THE NEW SW FILM that the American / Western crowd decisively puts forward.

But what do I know - I have always preferred Trek lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CenterMeOnSam said:

I mean, we definitely see "saturation" affect every now and again. But we've been told that superhero films would start to go that way too, and here is Marvel, still slinging out success after success ten plus years later, with sometimes not one but TWO movies a year. 

I'm not so sure Star Wars won't do the same. 

Star Wars fatigue already kicked big after only 2 years in Asia and Latin America which are very promising markets both. In my view, it also was a factor for TLJ's performance DOM too.