Alli

Weekend Thread | 3-day estimates (per BOM): J 27M, TP 18.6M, TC 13.45M, I:TLK 12.14M, TGS 11.8M, TLJ 11.28M, P2 10.62M, PM 10M

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I posted the other day that an Insurgent to Allegiant drop would only get The Death Cure around a 16.7-17.7M OW, which feels likely to me. Buzz is nonexistent on this thing.

Jumanji could do something like this the next two weekend given lack of competition:

Maybe it will be a photo finish between MR and J that weekend. 

• Like 1

This old guy got mad at me because his ticket for The Commuter was so expensive, and that "last time he was at the movies, his ticket was only four dollars"

His buddy sorta laughed and tried to help me out was like "last time he was at the movies was when Die Hard came out"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, mikee11 said:

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/daily/2018/01/13

They are expecting Star Wars to have the biggest jump of everyone listed Saturday, wonder if that will happen

Plus I'm seeing that most BO sites are estimating a (3.425-3.45) million Monday for TLJ. R1 did 3.34 million on the same day and it has been ahead of TLJ by 19.72% (Fri), 13.3% (Sat) & 28.17% (Sun) w.r.t TLJ. So TLJ will hafta drop just 1.33% from Sunday for it to beat R1's Monday. R1 itself dropped 24.97% on Monday. Looks a bit suspect, no??

Either way, TGS will beat TLJ in the 3 day/4 day weekend. :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, DAJK said:

This old guy got mad at me because his ticket for The Commuter was so expensive, and that "last time he was at the movies, his ticket was only four dollars"

His buddy sorta laughed and tried to help me out was like "last time he was at the movies was when Die Hard came out"

The Commuter: drawing out people who haven't been to the theater in 30 years. Now THAT'S an event. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 2

8 hours ago, ThiagoMaia said:

Interesting. Do you know what is the largest raw drop domestically? Is TLJ taking that too?

I could totally see Fallen Kingdom dropping 330+ from JW.

I think that record also belongs to TLJ now, which is looking at around a $315-320 million drop domestically. JW:FK could take the record if it has very bad WOM but would require a percentage drop much higher than what sequels typically experience. Giving JW:FK the same percentage drop as TLJ from TFA gives it $430 million still.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 3:32 PM, Jandrew said:

Hey, why dont you unwedge your panties, calm down, and take a seat. I never said anything about politics. If I wanted to call Trump out specifically, since youre making broad assumptions, then I wouldve. I'm an American, so I can call us Americans whatever I want to for whatever reason I please.

The state of my underwear is fine.  Thanks for your concern fine citizen.

You said this:

Shouldnt be surprised that America is dumb enough to give Paddington only $2.4, look at out current state.

At the same time it is disappointing that we still have a hard time breaking out and embracing things that arent American. Hell Despacito didnt break out until they slapped  Americanly-marketable Bieber on it after all.

First of all, your "Americans suck" tirade is political.   You singled out a particular country and assigned a broad negative description to them.   You are right that you have every right to do that...but others also have the right to notice you wedging politics into a discussion about the box office for a movie because you are upset that it "should be making more".   Naturally that means "Americans are dumb" in your mind.

And go ahead and tell me what this "current state" is?   Not political?   Maybe you were talking about the weather perhaps?  :hahaha:

So go ahead and find a way to make an effort to connect politics to you being upset about a movie's gross.   But don't pretend it didn't happen.

The Pixar brand name would honestly be in pretty sorry shape domestically right now if not for Dory. TGD, Cars 3, and now Coco are far and away their least attended films, and all 3 would have posted losses for them if not for Coco's OS breakout. Incredibles 2 and TS4 will do big numbers, but it's kind of disheartening to know that sequels to their classics will be the only reason they stay afloat as a big name in the animation world from 2016-2020. They can't really rely on that past TS4 and they're going to need a couple IO level original breakouts at the beginning of next decade if they want to maintain their status. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Just oversaw an ad on A&E for Phantom Thread that was really touting the hell out of Daniel Day Lewis :lol: Focus has aired over 1k ads for it, so I'd be pretty surprised if it doesn't end up hitting 1k theaters post-Oscar nominations.

• Like 1