Eric Prime

Jumanji: The Next Level l Sony l December 13, 2019 l 10th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

10 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I can't find that one - can you share b/c I'd probably jump on a good enough deal now:)...

EDIT: All I saw was the ridiculous contest:)...that's not a "jump on this" promo...

Was gonna say, this sounds like a jackpot scenario for the @TwoMisfits family!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, a2k said:

wondering what's the lowest this can go (jum2 in brackets)

225 dom (404.5) + 275 os-ch (480) + 85 ch (78) = 585 ww (962.5)

225*0.55 + 275*0.40 + 85*0.25 = 255 global theatricals on 100 prod budget

gonna make big profits even with an under-performance

I think it could go a lot lower if the reception was medium-bad.     

180 DOM  (36*5 or 40*4.5, something to that effect with current tracking, presale, and calendar should be quite possible if not even lower)

50 China  (POTUS currently saying 35-40 for OW, give it some weak PS growth and bad Maoyan for 30*1.67 or so)

220 OS-C (same DOM:OS-C ratio as you have)   

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Thanks 1

https://deadline.com/2019/12/jumanji-the-next-level-dwayne-johnson-china-international-box-office-preview-1202799059/

Sony’s Jumanji: The Next Level opens early in 18 overseas markets this week, beginning today in France and including Netherlands, some of South East Asia and, notably, China, through Friday. This is a different rollout pattern to 2017’s reboot, Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle, which went day-and-date with domestic in 53 offshore markets, landing No. 1 in 28 of those for a $49.5M bow at historical rates.

In the like-for-like markets going this week, Welcome To The Jungle did $54.8M at today’s international box office rates. Industry projections for The Next Level are coming in at the $60M+ mark. About $40M of that is expected in China where star Dwayne Johnson has a solid base. His last pictures in the Middle Kingdom have done robust business including Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw ($201M), Rampage ($156.3M), San Andreas ($103M) and Skyscraper ($98.4M).

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

so better than the first OS. And the release date is not that busy compared to when the first one was released. I don't understand the doom and gloom on the domestic front

Not really comparable. That 60 mil is including China which the OW of the first film didn't have.

So Jumanji Welcome did 400M, same as Wonder Woman, but the sequel to Jumanji is supposed to drop to 250M??? I don't buy it. It would mean WW84 would fall a lot too and that seems impossible. The first Jumanji was beloved just like Wonder Woman

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

So Jumanji Welcome did 400M, same as Wonder Woman, but the sequel to Jumanji is supposed to drop to 250M??? I don't buy it. It would mean WW84 would fall a lot too and that seems impossible. The first Jumanji was beloved just like Wonder Woman

Not necessarily. Look at Secret Life of Pets and Deadpool. First grossed about the same, but Deadpool held MUCH better, with SLOP2 dropping over 50%. I think it’ll do about $300M, but $250M is certainly possible.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, J2 only made 78 mil here so this should have easily increased similarly to how Frozen 2 did from its predecessor.

Not similar at all, F1 was released in 2013 before the Chinese market exploded. It would have been hard for F2 to decrease.

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yikes, this is going to be AIW 2. 

This won't drop over 3/4 like that did but if this drops by over 50% that'll just make it more clear that the previous movie's massive overperformance was a case of "right movie at the right time."