La Binoche

A24's HEREDITARY

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It did but it could have worked better. I did say I found the dread-building in the second half very well-done. 

I think the tone if personal preference. Me being in the directors age and probably being rised on similar movies and other cultural items is why it worked better for me. It's basically the inside of my head. The scary bits didn't scare me but made me happy and excited. Though have in mind this was during the EFM and I was after 3h of sleep and probably after watching like 6 movies.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JB33 said:

I swear society right now has a collective case of ADD or something. They think a horror movie is bad or disappointing if it isn't filled with in your face jump scares. 

Is the first act slow paced? Yes, but come on people, you can make it through whilst paying attention. Come on, you can do it!

Actually nah. You can't. If you haven't jumped in the first 20 minutes you're probably pulling out your phone, right?

I am so perplexed by that, too. I genuinely have no idea how people can say that Hereditary and The Witch are alright or trash while also stating that IT is great. Atmospheric, moody horror movies with a crescendo are how most of the classic horror movies are.  The jump scare stuff really is so trite. It is so whatever at this point. 

• Like 3

Reveals itself and the greater forces at play a little clumsily but overall pretty great. The finale's just bonkers in all of the best ways. Rosemary's Baby by way of The Ice Storm was my feel. Audiences not accustomed to it will feel restless until it really ramps up. But, if they invest and don't bolt early, they're rewarded much, much more so than in the It Comes At Night and The Witch. Not saying it's better than either. I probably prefer to both but it's pretty close with The Witch. That director seemed to have more command though. But, the big moments in Hereditary trump that of The Witch.

B+/A-

• Like 3

7 hours ago, norbar said:

Jesus this is the box office forum. Read the reviews before guessing becaues it's no prediction. This is a more audience friendly film than almost all a24 releases. Yeah it's transgressive and some horror fans may say "not enough jump scares for my tiny brain" but I was excited while watching the really fucked up shit. The movie is very well done and it's much easier to enjoy than The Witch or Babadook. 

Yes, this is indeed the box office forum. Not the critical review forum.

And audiences don't seem to like this movie, so it's going to do poorly at the box office. Has nothing to do with quality. It rarely does.

6 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

And audiences don't seem to like this movie, so it's going to do poorly at the box office. Has nothing to do with quality. It rarely does.

Uh, what? The audience score is at 75% and rising.

21 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

Will have a better idea with the cinemascore exit poll but, first word of mouth seem to be nice:

IMDB: 8.3/10 with 33% 10/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7784604/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

RT Audience

75%, liked it

Average Rating: 4/5

User Ratings: 1,952

MC user reviews:

8.6 /10

POSITIVE: 23

MIXED: 3

NEGATIVE: 2

47 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

Based on what Deadline passed along, it's performing well above it's tracking so far at the box office. Not sure I buy this but will be a good discussion after this weekend and it's overall run.

Just got back from it. It's not the sum of its parts, because although it had great moments, the direction and screenplay were sloppy. I think audiences will go for it regardless and it'll do well at the BO, because it's better at delivering "the goods" compared to most recent horror movies, and is much more accessible than The Witch and mother! (both superior movies).

Very Minor spoiler:

Spoiler

The Rosemary's Baby section was laughable. The films aren't batting in the same league. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Reveals itself and the greater forces at play a little clumsily but overall pretty great. The finale's just bonkers in all of the best ways. Rosemary's Baby by way of The Ice Storm was my feel. Audiences not accustomed to it will feel restless until it really ramps up. But, if they invest and don't bolt early, they're rewarded much, much more so than in the It Comes At Night and The Witch. Not saying it's better than either. I probably prefer to both but it's pretty close with The Witch. That director seemed to have more command though. But, the big moments in Hereditary trump that of The Witch.

B+/A-

Agreed on the finale, and what you're saying about the "greater forces" is its chief problem...it's not good to keep audiences too in the dark on the logic of it all, because then they're trying to piece it all together and that can take 'em out of the movie. 

I liked it a lot, and that ending is ace filmmaking, but it would've been scarier if Aster wasn't so keen on playing hard to get with the big questions. 

On 6/7/2018 at 10:48 PM, JB33 said:

People are so fucking stupid, its shameful. Excellent, excellent horror film. So creepy and unnerving to the max! 

It is NOT another IT COMES AT NIGHT.

Yeah, the two are nothing alike. It Comes at Night wasn't even a horror film in the end, which was the worse part of it all. This is definitely an out-and-out horror film. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

That's right...rankings...

The Witch

Hereditary

It Comes at Night

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

I felt asleep during Sacred Deer.........

It Come at night was maybe my favorite watching experience but unlike the Witch I have yet to rewatch it....

I think I would go

It Come At Night

Hereditary

The Witch

I have no idea.....

The killing of a sacred dear

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I felt asleep during Sacred Deer.........

It Come at night was maybe my favorite watching experience but unlike the Witch I have yet to rewatch it....

I think I would go

It Come At Night

Hereditary

The Witch

I have no idea.....

The killing of a sacred dear

Pretentious isn't the last word people would use to describe me...and I thought Sacred Deer was one of the most pretentious pieces of claptrap I've ever seen. 

17 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

I am so perplexed by that, too. I genuinely have no idea how people can say that Hereditary and The Witch are alright or trash while also stating that IT is great. Atmospheric, moody horror movies with a crescendo are how most of the classic horror movies are.  The jump scare stuff really is so trite. It is so whatever at this point. 

I hated The Witch but loved this. I had to watch The Witch two times because I could not get through the first time without subtitles. The atmosphere did not work as well there for me. This felt more conventional and did deliver when it needed to.

IT is an awesome coming of age story with memorable characters. I agree on audiences being ADD though. They just want the film equivalent of a haunted house and don't want to think too much about it.

There was one jump scare in this but it was very effective due to the way the atmosphere was executed. I loved how it wasn't telegraphed by some cheap musical cue.

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

That's right...rankings...

The Witch

Hereditary

It Comes at Night

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Hereditary
The Killing Of A Sacred Deer (some amazing wide shots - but yes, very weird)
It Comes At Night
The Witch

Edited by somebody85

The Killing of a sacred deer was absolutely hilarious, all the actors gave fantastic comedic performances, especially the kid actor and Colin Farrell ( dat accent !).

Nicole Kidman didn't understand the movie she was in and played it straight.

Edited by The Futurist

6 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

Agreed on the finale, and what you're saying about the "greater forces" is its chief problem...it's not good to keep audiences too in the dark on the logic of it all, because then they're trying to piece it all together and that can take 'em out of the movie. 

I liked it a lot, and that ending is ace filmmaking, but it would've been scarier if Aster wasn't so keen on playing hard to get with the big questions. 

Yes...

Spoiler

Rosemary does a better job of leaking nods and hints while the audience questions her sanity and/or whether there are greater forces at work to undermine her pregnancy. 

Blackcoat's Daughter is noticeably absent from these A24 horror lists. I like that one too.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

I do believe many of these ditectors would be more assured with their second feature. It's pretty odd that most of these if not all were the first feature length for each filmmaker.

Sacred Deer is an outstanding pitch black comedy. Not much of a horror. Not really it's goal to be horror either.

• Like 2