La Binoche

A24's HEREDITARY

On 6/20/2018 at 4:02 AM, poweranimals said:

Well that was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I mean, like whoever created it must be pretty disturbed.

If you think he is disturbed that means he probably has achieved what he wanted so it's hard to call it bad.

Also since it's a box office forum (doesn't feel like it) it looks like Hereditary will cross $40m. Maybe even $50m if it stays long enough in cinemas.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, norbar said:

If you think he is disturbed that means he probably has achieved what he wanted so it's hard to call it bad.

Also since it's a box office forum (doesn't feel like it) it looks like Hereditary will cross $40m. Maybe even $50m if it stays long enough in cinemas.

Seems certain for $40m and maybe even a 3x multiplier!

• Like 1

$50M isn't happening but $40M is basically locked. It might not be AQP level breakout but it was never going to be, being an artistic horror film from a small studio with marketing almost exclusively limited to online. 

1 hour ago, Fanboy said:

$40M is a very good result for this and I still think Collette is going to sweep most of the critic awards at the end of the year. 

I can’t imagine that she won’t be nominated.

Her performance in this was better than any of the nominees for the last few years. Male and female. 

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Her performance in this was better than any of the nominees for the last few years. Male and female. 

Respectfully disagree.  Chastain had the best performance last year for Molly's Game.  And it's better than Collette's imo.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

IMO, I should’ve said 

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Respectfully disagree.  Chastain had the best performance last year for Molly's Game.  And it's better than Collette's imo.

I just can’t see it. Without spoilers: the support group scene. Full range of emotions in an Acting masterclass in one monologue during one shot. 

Immense. 

Edited by Krissykins

54 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

There is a risk of her film being forgotten since it’s a June release. Also the genre bias could affect it as well. 

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

After Grand Budapest and Get Out this whole notion needs to die. 

Those are the exceptions not the rule. Majority of Best Picture nominees and winners are still post-August. 

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

IMO, I should’ve said 

I just can’t see it. Without spoilers: the support group scene. Full range of emotions in an Acting masterclass in one monologue during one shot. 

Immense. 

Yes, I know the scene you speak of.  And I'm not doubting she will get nominated.  

4 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Those are the exceptions not the rule. Majority of Best Picture nominees and winners are still post-August. 

Captain Fantastic, Hell or High Water, Boyhood, The Lobster, Ex Machina, Blue Jasmine, Midnight in Paris, Winter's Bone, The Kids Are All Right etc. are all pre-fall releases that have received nods in major categories this decade. Movies (and performances) don't get forgotten if their studios don't want them to. 

17 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Said it in the RTM thread but Essie Davis in The Babadook is a better, more nuanced and moving version of Collette's work here, as strong as the latter is. 

Essie Davis is much more impressive in Babadook. That said, Collette is a known commodity and will likely snag a nomination. I don't see her winning anything. Over the next 6 or 7 months, more and more performances will emerge. And, enough of them will be more Oscar friendly than Collette. While I loved her work in Hereditary, I doubt she'll be my favorite performance by a woman in a 2018 release. It's certainly a loud performance. One that's hard to dismiss.

19 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Yes that's because most of the films made with the intention of winning awards get released post-August. 

• Like 1

whether or not a movie is forgotten for awards really just depends on how willing a studio is to push it. most studios are gonna pick 2 or 3 horses to throw their energy behind awards wise every year so i guess it just depends on what A24 have coming up.