WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 16 if you care): Jumanji 10.9M | Maze Runner 10.5M | Winchester 9.3M | Showman 7.7M | The Post 5.3M | Hostiles 5.2M

36 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Spielberg is old hat at this point.... (note just making a comment, not my personal belief.) Most of the young folks I hear talk about film these days recognize him as a big past director, but not today. And admittedly it has been 10 years (!) since he has truly done a blockbuster in the vein of the General Audience Blockbuster. His production company has been busy but his focus on smaller films (or no films depending on the year) hasn't cemented him to the newest generation of film-goers. 

That and the fact that while competently made (and among my 10 ten each year) his last several films have been very by the books - almost to the point of being another Clint Eastwood.

I'm a big fan of them, but I'll gladly admit that Spielberg's recent dramatic films are really more older skewing, and pretty "typical" in style, though generally well-executed. 

This is why I'm interested in Ready Player One's box office and reception, since it's his first real big budgeted "blockbuster type film" in a while. I think it could do quite well. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Spielberg's a living legend with nothing left to prove. If he's content with making a bunch of middlebrow true story dramas for the rest of his career, I say let him.

I am fine with it as well - its the complaining that we hear on this site every time one of his films doesn't look like it does anything new (or with Eastwood for that matter as well.) Also Thinking RP1 is going to be big simply because of his name is just crazy IMO.

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck this weekend is so dead :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

This is the first weekend thread in a long time that probably won't even reach 20 pages. Yep, must be early February. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

In my opinion Steven Spielberg will go down as the greatest Hollywood director of all time. I don't know enough about film from other cultures and other countries to compare him but since this is a predominantly North American movie site to me he's the greatest of all time. The films he makes now are no longer of the Blockbuster type. He's more interested in historical perspective and dramas that are geared more towards his age group. I wish he would go back and do something like another Jurassic Park or another film like Indiana Jones but as others have mentioned he's earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants to do.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, baumer said:

In my opinion Steven Spielberg will go down as the greatest Hollywood director of all time. I don't know enough about film from other cultures and other countries to compare him but since this is a predominantly North American movie site to me he's the greatest of all time. The films he makes now are no longer of the Blockbuster type. He's more interested in historical perspective and dramas that are geared more towards his age group. I wish he would go back and do something like another Jurassic Park or another film like Indiana Jones but as others have mentioned he's earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants to do.

The dude has made some unreal films.. E.T, Jaws, Jurassic Park (stole the job from Jim), Raiders, Saving Private Ryan, Schindlers List. Then some not as popular ones which I loved like War of the Worlds and A.I.

His ability to pump out decent films over decades consistently is what sets him apart, I don't doubt that Jim could have done something similar but it's just not the route he wanted or chose.

The only objective measure of greatness though is $$$, after 4 more Avatars, Jim will be the highest grossing director of all time, averaging 3x more $$$ per film than Spielberg.

• Like 1

Obviously still waiting on Jumanji, but at least we didn't go with an under 10m #1.... I will say though that the holds over all are fine, would have been a great weekend if not for the horrid Sunday holds that will happen. Course if it wasn't the Super Bowl, something else would have been opening here.