WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 16 if you care): Jumanji 10.9M | Maze Runner 10.5M | Winchester 9.3M | Showman 7.7M | The Post 5.3M | Hostiles 5.2M

1 2 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle Sony $11,000,000 -31.9% 3,352 -201 $3,282 $352,642,752 $90 7

3-4x the weekend more gives it 386-397 dom. It's likely that in the latter case it will get a push to 400.

4 4 The Greatest Showman Fox $7,800,000 -18.3% 2,588 -75 $3,014 $137,475,172 $84 7

5-7x the weekend more gives it 176.5-192.5 dom.

10 9 Paddington 2 WB $3,110,000 -45.1% 2,388 -404 $1,302 $36,313,679 - 4

Paddington1 fell only 33% in the SB weekend. Added 3x more the weekend to it's cume. That will give Paddington2 45m (same as Smurfs3).

14 10 Padmaavat VPD $2,551,000 -43.2% 354 +28 $7,206 $9,012,569 - 2

Amazing hold for an Indian movie. SB did not dent the Sunday in this case (-40%) but even so it's a great hold as 55-60%+ drop are a norm unless it's a holiday weekend (like for Dangal). Baahubali2's ~20m is too far but Dangals' 12.4m should be crossed.

19 20 Coco BV $1,561,000 +8.8% 1,636 +1,015 $954 $204,620,729 - 11

Movies drop fast after a temporary expansion at times but will still go over Ratatouille.

• Like 1

TLJ fell harder than I thought it would. It pretty much fell off a cliff w.r.t R1. The Saturday and the Sunday bumps were higher than the Friday one. The overall weekend dropped 47.46% and it is 76.49% of R1's 8th weekend. The PTA drop was rather harsh as well as TLJ fell 37.46% (R1 dropped 29.6% last year). I thought with theater drop being a bit on the brighter side, TLJ could drop slightly better than R1. 88% of R1 from here on out sees TLJ finishing at 619.41 million. The questions is, will it stabilize at the particular point?? Seems highly unlikely atm.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kraken said:

Death Cure unseated them the past weekend tho. Still, what Jumanji is achieving is remarkable.

I do not know why I was convinced it had been #1 last weekend. Thanks for the correction :) 

• Like 1

Jumanji put up another awesome hold. Of course, it owes its #1 finish to the lack of meaningful competition, but it's still pretty incredible to see a movie atop the box office in its seventh weekend in wide release.

Maze Runner plummeted, but it could have held worse with today's Super Bowl deflation.

Winchester put up a "meh" performance, as expected. Horror has done well against the Super Bowl in the past, but this one didn't really seem to have the hook necessary to pull audiences in.

The Greatest Showman continues to put up astonishing holds. I wouldn't be surprised if it's flat or even increases next weekend.

Hostiles held up okay. It hasn't done as badly as its weak limited release performance suggested it would.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Didn't TLJ have a very similar percentage drop from TFA as TESB had from SW?

Not really, because Star Wars was re-released several times before Empire Strikes Back came out.

I think I read on here that the difference was actually closer to say 10% less for ESB ... like low 200's vs. somewhere around 180's for Empire.

I'm sure someone has the exact #s, but far less than the 33% drop of TLJ.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Didn't TLJ have a very similar percentage drop from TFA as TESB had from SW?

If we take into account only the first runs of both ANH & ESB, then the latter only dropped 18.03% from the former (181.4 million for ESB from 221.3 million for ANH). AOTC dropped 29.9% from TPM. So TLJ is clearly behind the other two in terms of gross retention as far as middle chapters in SW trilogies are concerned. Off the top of my head only The Lost World and Batman Returns (35.94% & 35.17% respectively) dropped bigger while being sequels to record breaking movies at that time (OW or final total or both). There are probably other examples but TLJ is likely in the bottom half of that list.

Edited by MaxAggressor
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

Not really, because Star Wars was re-released several times before Empire Strikes Back came out.

I think I read on here that the difference was actually closer to say 10% less for ESB ... like low 200's vs. somewhere around 180's for Empire.

I'm sure someone has the exact #s, but far less than the 33% drop of TLJ.

Reportedly closer to 20% lower  The only sequel to a mega blockbuster that had a less than 10% dip for the sequel was Spider-Man II.

The reading comprehension in here is lacking. I simply said the only objective measure for film-maker greatness is money made, the rest is opinions. For instance I can say movie X made more than movie Y, and that's a fact. Whereas if you were to say movie X was better than movie Y it's an opinion. I shouldn't have to explain this but I suppose it's in everyone's interest to paint what I say differently then laugh at it!

It's not too long until Jim will be the highest grossing director of all time with a 1/3rd of the amount of films, just 2021 actually.

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The reading comprehension in here is lacking. I simply said the only objective measure for film-maker greatness is money made, the rest is opinions. For instance I can say movie X made more than movie Y, and that's a fact. Whereas if you were to say movie X was better than movie Y it's an opinion. I shouldn't have to explain this but I suppose it's in everyone's interest to paint what I say differently then laugh at it!

It's not too long until Jim will be the highest grossing director of all time with a 1/3rd of the amount of films, just 2021 actually.

There aren't any objective measures of greatness.

11 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

There aren't any objective measures of greatness.

noun: greatness
  1. the quality of being great
adjective: great; comparative adjective
  1. of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above average.

Nice try I suppose.

Damn, TGS could have spent yet another weekend beating its OW with a normal Sunday drop. At any rate, posts the 30th best 7th weekend ever. 

Weekend 1: 43rd worst saturated opening

Weekend 2: Biggest wide release second weekend jump ever

Weekend 4: 144th biggest

Weekend 5: 73rd biggest

Weekend 6: 48th biggest

Weekend 7: 30th biggest (will probably move up to 29th in actuals)

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1