That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

Black Panther didn't just gross more than I expected DOM, it completely went beyond my most optimistic expectations in OS markets, that's incredible.

It also shows that a black cast is not an issue in today's world if quality and good marketing are there :)

Great job T'Challa :D

z93mR.gif

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MJL said:

And your 50-100 times watching the video counts for 1 view if it was from the same IP address and google account.  So, no it’s actually not a stupid argument if you know how YouTube’s algorithms work.

Why don’t you think long and hard before you make another stupid post like this.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

Black Panther didn't just gross more than I expected DOM, it completely went beyond my most optimistic expectations in OS markets, that's incredible.

It also shows that a black cast is not an issue in today's world if quality and good marketing are there :)

Great job T'Challa :D

z93mR.gif

Good marketing? Sure.

Quality? Not to comment on whether or not Black Panther is good or not but nah. 

Good marketing is all you really need.

3 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

I thought overseas brought money too, or does the worldwide bo gross not count ?

I’m specifically referring to domestic box office. Some people think AIW will come close to or surpass Star Wars: The Force Awakens opening weekend domestic box office because the trailer views are huge and the hype is there! What I’m saying is that may be the case. It also may not set an domestic opening weekend record, but a worldwide opening weekend record.

It seems like the Avengers is bigger deal overseas than Star Wars which might be where most of the views are coming from.

I’m not counting out AIW potentially beating Star Wars domestic opening weekend record, but it will be a tall order to achieve.

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, i see someone saying the movie will gross $ 375M yesterday, this is completely nonsense

The hype for IW is obviously bigger than Ultron, and CW is not an avengers movie so the little decline is kinda normal, plus it's a more darker / political movie [which IW probably isn't]

I'm thinking $ 225 - 230M debut and $ 500 - 550M total for IW [2,25 - 2,4x]

I also think BP has a really good shot in outgross IW if legs are good, but both with + $ 500M

I'm thinking 560m for IW, and 530m for BP. Either way that would be some amazing numbers for Marvel / Disney. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm thinking 560m for IW, and 530m for BP. Either way that would be some amazing numbers for Marvel / Disney. 

Yeah, Disney will have a great year

BP and IW both with a good shot in $ + 500M

Incredibles could do $ 400M and i don't see Solo making less than $ 350M [but i also don't think it will cross $ 400M]

Mary Poppins should be another smash for them

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

To me all the trailer views for IW mean is that, the under 400 million dollar predictions are just troll predictions

IW will do at least $450M.  After that I'm not sure..  but would I be shocked to see it go under BP? No,  because as I was saying earlier,  it's not about how many heroes are in a film or even if BP is in the film..     Black Panther is HIS movie and that's what garners the interest.  Just like Wonder Woman.  It's easier to digest an origin film than multiple sequels too. 

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Good marketing? Sure.

Quality? Not to comment on whether or not Black Panther is good or not but nah. 

Good marketing is all you really need.

Well, we'll disagree here.

You can have all the great marketing you want these days but if quality isn't there then the movie isn't leggy, marketing is great for a strong start but quality is important if you want your movie to hold well after the OW. Quality can also be a factor to have a breakthrough in markets that could be hostile/indifferent to your product.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Incredibles could do $ 400M and i don't see Solo making less than $ 350M [but i also don't think it will cross $ 400M]

The hype is certainly there for The Incredibles 2, unless it's somehow considered an underwhelming sequel (possible I suppose), then it should do over 400m.

Poppins has the potential to win the Christmas movie season, even with the massive competition, so yeah it should be a great year for Disney. I could also see A Wrinkle in Time doing decent business if it gets good reviews. The book is fairly popular. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Yesterday Disney took the yearly domestic #1, ahead of Sony that had been leading from january, thanks to Jumanji 2. 

Do you think Disney will keep the crown till Dec. 31st? 

Jurassic Park 5 could always do it I imagine, but it is extremelly unlikely that Disney does not keep it, BP should keep it except if Solo, IW, Incredible 2, etc.... get it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

2018 it's just the appetizers for the 2019 big feast! IW2, Lion King, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, Frozen 2 and Ep9 ... i can see 5-6 500M+ dom here.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Well, we'll disagree here.

You can have all the great marketing you want these days but if quality isn't there then the movie isn't leggy, marketing is great for a strong start but quality is important if you want your movie to hold well after the OW. Quality can also be a factor to have a breakthrough in markets that could be hostile/indifferent to your product.

He was not talking about any leg there too.

But I suspect now that things goes so fast that the reception factor get earlier and earlier it is not monday at school/work anymore that word of mouth start.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

The hype is certainly there for The Incredibles 2, unless it's somehow considered an underwhelming sequel (possible I suppose), then it should do over 400m.

Poppins has the potential to win the Christmas movie season, even with the massive competition, so yeah it should be a great year for Disney. I could also see A Wrinkle in Time doing decent business if it gets good reviews. The book is fairly popular. 

I'm interested in A Wrinkle In Time because I see it as a welcoming break from the usual movies/blockbusters we have most of the time, it could be a trump card somehow.

• Like 1