That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

The remake is hitting 200M+ OW and 600M+ DOM. Believe 'dem words.

Yes, I believe that's totally doable, it is not even that much by today's standard.  By the time TLK is released, Avatar's domestic run would adjust to 900M+ and TFA 1B+.

• Like 1

Just now, Warmaster506 said:

Disney is ahead of every studio right now by a pretty big margin.  It probably won't relinquish that lead anytime soon. 

The other thing is Disney has huge income streams outside Disney Studios.  The income from the Amusement Parks and resorts must be massive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, Beauty And The Beast did 174/500 in March. And BATB is no Lion King.

The Lion King is the most famous and beloved animated film of all time. And one of the easiest four-quadrant sells ever (while BATB skewed female).

The remake is hitting 200M+ OW and 600M+ DOM. Believe 'dem words.

It also has summer which helps a lot.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I think a lot of people want to cut China from the equation so they can attempt to downplay the Fast series. :apocalypse:

People don't cut China from the equation, they just put it where it belongs: in a category of its own.

The market simply has become way too big to go with the usual domestic-international split. China as a single market has more or less the same status as the domestic market in terms of how much money a movie can make. If one keeps China among the international markets, it can very much paint a wrong picture when talking about the international strength of a movie. If one movie wins most of the international markets, but gets beaten out by another movie because that movie is simply far bigger in China, then it isn't really correct to say that the former is more important in the international markets. There are quite a few movies that played better all over the world than Warcraft did, yet ended up with a lower international total because China countered all that. This makes China an outlier among all the international markets.

In other words: China can alter the amount of money made internationally to such an extent that comparisons that only look at the international total stop telling you which movies are more popular all over the world. Just like it would be if you would count the domestic market to the total.

Edited by George Parr

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Wonder Woman killed Justice League. People were pissed with 3 shit movies one by one, and didn't want to see another piece of shit.

By 3 shit movies, you mean Man Of Steel through Suicide Squad, right?

Cause, if not, let me totally agree w/you. Since a DOM total almost 4x its opening weekend result CLEARLY shows people were pissed w/Wonder Woman.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

Welp, just got out BP.

No spoilers, don't worry.

I'll be brief.

Basically I judge a movie on three main questions:

1) Is the storytelling compelling and well executed?

2) Did the film deeply resonate?

3) Was the movie better than the movie I imagined in my head?

The movie aced all three and then some.

So often I try to explain to my children why their African blood is a something to value and to appreciate, why they must understand and see the greatness and beauty of ALL cultures and individuals, why the legacy and struggle against racism is so complex and difficult to overcome, and why imagination and compassion are more important than knowledge and status.

Well this movie summed up those things better than 50 of my boring lectures in a way only a movie can.

To those who say it's just a superhero movie.

Well, my kids are superheroes. And that won't end with childhood.

10/10

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Ehhh. TFA was the most hyped movie of this decade both in North America and Europe and also got decent amounts of hype in Japan. China was hyped till they saw it since they werent familiar with SW. Cut Chinas BO from both movies and Furious 7 OS run is still very impressive, but cant hold up to TFA.

As for Avatar 2, it remains to be seen. At the moment, i dont think anyone feels the need for that movies existence.

Hello? HELLO?

Let's ask my friend Maoyan about this one.. which film do the Chinese want to see more.

Avatar 2 with 0 trailers and it's years away, or Infinity War that is this year and with trailers and stuff.

https://maoyan.com/films/78461

https://maoyan.com/films/248170

oh.. would you look at that

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KJsooner said:

Why don’t you think long and hard before you make another stupid post like this.

Wow, you don’t have to be an asshole.  Ugh, with new users like you...no wonder this place isn’t as popping as the old Mojo forums

17 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Hello? HELLO?

Let's ask my friend Maoyan about this one.. which film do the Chinese want to see more.

Avatar 2 with 0 trailers and it's years away, or Infinity War that is this year and with trailers and stuff.

https://maoyan.com/films/78461

https://maoyan.com/films/248170

oh.. would you look at that

Every franchise who passes 10 years without nothing new to consume will find less people talking about it, this is normal and shouldn't be used as an argument to prove no one cares about Avatar 2

The massive success of the attractions on parks is a prove that people still remember the film, when the campaign for Avatar 2 start, people will start to talk about it again

And it will be a big hit, China alone can guarantee that

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MJL said:

Wow, you don’t have to be an asshole.  Ugh, with new users like you...no wonder this place isn’t as popping as the old Mojo forums

Eh, most people here are pretty mellow. And BoT is bigger than Mojo ever was. Welcome. :) 

Edited by Telehilation
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

By 3 shit movies, you mean Man Of Steel through Suicide Squad, right?

Cause, if not, let me totally agree w/you. Since a DOM total almost 4x its opening weekend result CLEARLY shows people were pissed w/Wonder Woman.

No, I mean Batman vs Superman through Wonder Woman. People liked Wonder Woman so much that they decided to skip another big movie with her in one of the lead roles and the movie about creating Wonder Woman, which flopped really hard.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Yesterday Disney took the yearly domestic #1, ahead of Sony that had been leading from january, thanks to Jumanji 2. 

Do you think Disney will keep the crown non stop till Dec. 31st? 

It is hard to know for sure until we know how many studios Disney will buy this year.

• Haha 1

Just now, Telehilation said:

Eh, most people here are pretty mellow. And BoT bigger than Mojo ever was. Welcome. :) 

Most people are, I agree.  But there are also some who act like pricks.  I also could have sworn there was more back then, but also I haven’t really been around much on these forums because of work as I was on the old one (and the brief stint on the one before here)

• Like 1