That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I still don't understand wtf is going on there now that its been announced Reynolds is mo-capping Pikachu. 

:winomg:

Guarantee the Pikachu will make a lot of meta and poop jokes ala Deadpool

17 minutes ago, commendable said:

anybody think if captain marvel was released before Wonder Woman, it would be more of a huge break out and do as well as BP right now? I have this huge feeling that the DCEU was dragging WW down

Not really. Wonder Woman's a more recognizable character and somebody people were demanding to see far more than Captain Marvel, but the important issue was that Wonder Woman came out at just the right time. It can be argued that some of Wonder Woman's success was because it came out in the year that female empowerment became far more popular post-Trump. Even a few years ago, that kind of empowerment wasn't as potent or as strong.

For another example, Black Panther would have definitely been a hit 5 years ago, but nowhere near as iconic or as record-smashing as it is now.

Amazing box office run! Legendary Black Panther!

Also happy to see that it did well here in my country (Philippines) as well, with a 5-day opening of nearly $5M. And according to the distributor's press release, it surpassed the opening weekend of Guardians of The Galaxy (+143%), Ant-Man (+ 97%), Doctor Strange (+92%), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (+62%) and Thor: Ragnarok (+62%).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rth Wakanda said:

Monday is basically a rehash of Sun either going to beat Monday record or go very close to it

Wow, awesome number. We gave 51 dollars to Monday's number screening was nearly soldout. Amazing movie, I loved the world building it did 9.5/10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Not really. Wonder Woman's a more recognizable character and somebody people were demanding to see far more than Captain Marvel, but the important issue was that Wonder Woman came out at just the right time. It can be argued that some of Wonder Woman's success was because it came out in the year that female empowerment became far more popular post-Trump. Even a few years ago, that kind of empowerment wasn't as potent or as strong.

For another example, Black Panther would have definitely been a hit 5 years ago, but nowhere near as iconic or as record-smashing as it is now.

Both films benefitted from releasing at the right moment and both were movies people had been waiting for a long time. 

To say Wonder Woman's OW is a disappointment compared to BP's is wrong, it's like saying TDKR was a disappointment compared to Avengers when both were still huge hits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

lmao! Somebody is feeling petty. 

I don’t blame him. He quit The Flash because as he put it, they wouldn’t let him give the project “edge,” i.e. political. (Some rumors claim his movie plot would’ve involved a BLM element, which is possible considering who they casted as Iris West.)

meanwhile Marvel let Coogler basically give us BLM Magneto in Killmonger and is raking in the dough.

Saw this on reddit:

Black Panther made approximately $94.1 million of its opening weekend from only 758 theatres. Insane.

"Black Panther had 612 runs gross north of $100,000 for the weekend; of those, 119 venues did over $200K, 20 did $300K+, and five minted $400K. AMC Empire NY cleared $500K, while AMC Atlantic Station’s shot past $600K over the three days." - http://deadline.com/2018/02/black-panther-thursday-night-preview-box-office-1202291093

And that's using the minimum values provided, it could very well be over $100 million. Notice it says grosses north of.....etc. That leaves the remaining $107,697,000 to 3262 theatres.

@Jandrew Atlanta showing up strong indeed. Some of the comments pointed out that it made more in 758 theatres than another comicbook film made in over 4000 👀.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 2