grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

24 minutes ago, RichWS said:

"It evokes less the splendor of '90s era Jurassic Park than it does the excess of '90s summer catastrophes like Wild Wild West or 1998's Godzilla."

This is a legacy sequel that hits the true nostalgia button.

I'm probably the only who enjoyed Wild Wild West when it came out.  Yes its a dumb movie with some really stupid scenes, but Will Smith hamming it up and especially Kenneth Branagh chewing up the scenery with a giant robot spider that could shoot fireballs was enough to entertain 8 year old me.  Godzilla?  Fuck off.

4 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I'm probably the only who enjoyed Wild Wild West when it came out.  Yes its a dumb movie with some really stupid scenes, but Will Smith hamming it up and especially Kenneth Branagh chewing up the scenery with a giant robot spider that could shoot fireballs was enough to entertain 8 year old me.  Godzilla?  Fuck off.

Yeah. Kline and Branagh are a lot of fun in it. 

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it’s also one of the most boring movies ever made with one of the worst lead actors ever 

Nah, Aaron Taylor Johnson serves his role fine. He's just a surrogate for the audience. If you get past that, it's a fantastic disaster pic with some actual tension. Closer to a Spielberg Jurassic Park film than any of the JW films too if anything.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nah, Aaron Taylor Johnson serves his role fine. He's just a surrogate for the audience. If you get past that, it's a fantastic disaster pic with some actual tension. Closer to a Spielberg Jurassic Park film than any of the JW films too if anything.

that’s what the filmmakers wanted it to be, and they failed miserably 

boring does not equal “intelligent”

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

that’s what the filmmakers wanted it to be, and they failed miserably 

boring does not equal “intelligent”

Nah, they didn't fail miserably. I mean if you want vapid weightless action with no tension or scale you can stick to Roland Emmerich films or the film this post is about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Godzilla 1998 >>>>>> Godzilla 2014

God I absolutely loathed Godzilla 2014. Still scarred from it. Would never be able to sit through it again. 2014 one was okayish which makes it Godfather type quality in comparison to that.

I think now that I got my Godzilla fix with King of the Monsters and Shin, I can def appreciate 2014 a lot more (it still is a tad underwhelming like the airport cut away but overall, a good film). Gareth Edwards handles the suspense scenes and captures the scale of the monsters beautifully though, he would be a perfect pick for another Jurassic Park film. I rewatched the original JP recently and they really should lean into the horror again more, make it really tense and scary, it's one of the main reasons why it's still the best one.

Edited by TheDude391

Jurassic Park remains a masterpiece nearly 30 years after release. Could take or leave (mostly leave) the sequels but the original is still an untouchable piece of blockbuster filmmaking.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 4

It's at 38% with 139 reviews so it would take a whole bunch of positive reviews for it to climb back up to FK or JP3 levels. At this point we can forget about 50+ and hope it ends up over 40. IMHO I've seen it and it really doesn't belong or deserve to be in the 30's. I can't wrap my mind around how this ended up below FK, and also can't forgive Universal/Trevorrow for their misleading marketing. From 'Endgame of the Jurassic franchise' to 'JP3 of the JW trilogy' smh. Upon watching for the second time I started liking the film a lot more than my first viewing, but I'll still maintain it's no 'grand finale' in the way that most fans and the GA would expect. 

I still hope it does really well at the box office. 

Edited by scoobysaurus
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

somehow the score still fly below FK? 

CRITICS CONSENSUS

Jurassic World Dominion might be a bit of an improvement over its immediate predecessors, but this franchise has lumbered a long way down from its classic 

STOP COMPARING IT WITH JURASSIC PARK.

How is this really small thing isn't understandable for people, Jurassic World Dominion is different movie than Jurassic Park..... They are not supposed to be compared.

Why must people compare, why can't movie stand on its own.

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

How is this really small thing isn't understandable for people, Jurassic World Dominion is different movie than Jurassic Park..... They are not supposed to be compared.

And no Mods, this isn't critics bad or whatever lol. 

Just perplexed that 30 years later a movie is getting compared by it's 30 year old predecessor.

2 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

If they didn't want it to be compared to Jurassic Park they shouldn't have brought back the characters from Jurassic Park.

• Like 6