grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

On 5/23/2022 at 6:04 PM, Firepower said:

People behind Jurassic World flicks have no clue what made the original Jurassic Park special. It wasn't a dumbass green screen fest, it had substance, it had great characters, it was grounded, it had sense of wonder, creatures had weight and felt real because of mix of practical effects and CGI, sets were practical, it looked like a real movie without cheap digital photography with oversaturated colors and green screens everwhere, and in the end it was directed by one of the greatest filmmakers on top of his form. Last two JW movies are literally Fast & Furious with dinosaurs, even "la familia" is there, just dumb CGI fests with big explosions, boring characters, weightless cartoonish CGI creatures, nonsensical plot, cheap digital photography with oversaturated colors (poor Laura Dern with orange face in Dominion trailer), zero practical effects or any substance whatsoever.

Fallen Kingdom is gloriously dumb but Jurassic World was a pretty good meta commentary on modern summer movies, intentional or not.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Fallen Kingdom is gloriously dumb but Jurassic World was a pretty good meta commentary on modern summer movies, intentional or not.

I don't hate first JW, even though it's not well-directed overall with the same issues I listed (zero practical effects, green screen fest, cheap digital photography with heavily oversaturated colors), compared to FK it looks like a masterpiece, at least first JW had something.

Look, we all know this won't pass 60 on MT. So, with that being said, and me being a film critic - who the fuck cares? So many other films that were mediocre ("Black Panther") got praise like they were the second coming of Christ, yet, in my books, it's a well shot plotless Marvel crowdpleaser with a certain "political statement" that could not be ignored. I don't think it's bad by any means, but just remember the raving reviews back in the day.

I think JW3 will have it's cringey moments but from what I'm seeing they are hiding a big subplot judging by trailers, so that could be a nice surprise.

I bought my ticket two weeks ago so... You guys know where I stand. Alamo Drafthouse, Downtown LA, June 9th 11 PM, if someone's there - come and say hi!

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah Universal is definitely expecting reviews to be at FK level maximum 

It's not like that, there's a huge plot point they don't want to come out in open.

Let's just say trailers have shown absolutely nothing regarding the main plot of the movie, and there's some bits in movies that should not come out before you watch it in theaters.

And little bit cautious after what happened with Fallen Kingdom..... Once bitten, twice shy.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

It's not like that, there's a huge plot point they don't want to come out in open.

Let's just say trailers have shown absolutely nothing regarding the main plot of the movie, and there's some bits in movies that should not come out before you watch it in theaters.

And little bit cautious after what happened with Fallen Kingdom..... Once bitten, twice shy.

I don't buy that tbh, the movie opens in foreign countries next week, whatever spoiler the movie can have, it will leak by next Wednesday / Thursday.

I would agreed if the late embargo it's just for full reviews, but they have control on the reactions and still is holding them. It's way more probable the surprises will leak because of early OS release than because of reactions. 

I think they're just cautious with the reception, i do think it could ended up surprising them and getting decent reviews (i've seen this before), but they're probably thinking it can turn real bad and it's avoiding that.

Come on, guys, we all know studios nowadays have no ability or willingness to make blockbusters that are worthy of being protected from spoiler. Maybe Marvel would do something for so called "amazing" cameos (instead of good story). What's so secret for a dinosaur movie? King Kong cameo? Zombie T-Rex?

The first Jurassic World also had a embargo very late (I remember the reviews came out after Chinese midnights of June 8). I guess Uni just don't really take reviews (good or not) as something big during the marketing campaign unless it's Top Gun 2 level awesome.