Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread: Rampage 34.5M, AQP 32.6M, ToD 19M, RPO 11.2M, Blockers 10.2M

39 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Friday 13th had shit to do with how  A Quiet Place did.  

I do doubt that Friday the 13 added an extra 5 million onto it's number like some seem to imply. If it helped I think it helped only a little. I think some people just don't like to accept when a film is doing well when they didn't like the film all that much or believe that it is "overrated."

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

predictions

- AQP +33%

- Rampage +33% (minus Thurs previews)

- T or D -10% (minus Thurs previews)

- Blockers +50%

- RP1 +90%

- BP + 90%

- Sgt. +100%

- Beirut +33%

- Chappaq + 55%

- Uprising +100%

- Dogs +33%

- Imagine +85%

- Acrimony +67%

- Sherlock +110%

- Miracle +75%

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

The Platinum Dunnes Guys said it awhile ago.

”This isn’t something horror fans are going to want to hear but R rated horror films don’t make the kind of money that The Conjuring and Paranormal Activity made” they tweeted before deleting it after being pointed out that both those movies where rated R. Jason Blum also did a recent interview saying R rated horror films with young cast members don’t make money, so It, Evil Dead and Don’t Breathe had young cast members in it and clearly didn’t make money.

You're not being serious, are you?  Am I missing something here?

• Like 1

Truth or Dare is a bit sloppy and a bit awesome.  It has it's moments.  The ending, which is apparently pissing people off, isn't a good ending, so I can why people are disillusioned with it.  But there is some good performances, especially by Lucy Hale, who I had never heard of before.  The B- cinemascore seems right to me.  I'd give it about a 6.5 or a 7. 

• Like 1

AQP is fundamentally not a supernatural horror, it works more like a thriller, which will have little to do to friday 13th......furthermore, it's PG 13 rating and story theme are much more family friendlier, the saturday's up will be ok....

Edited by titanic2187

Truth or Dare is objectively bad but it's also sort of fun. At least 20 minutes too long and suffers from uncharismatic actors (Lucy Hale is flat and unlikable), clunky dialogue, inconsistencies in the rules and general script problems. But I didn't suffer through it or anything. And I liked how the ending tied back to the very first question she was asked. It's no Happy Death Day but the 19% is way too harsh. I'd give it a 5.5. 

1 minute ago, La Binoche said:

Truth or Dare is objectively bad but it's also sort of fun. At least 20 minutes too long and suffers from uncharismatic actors (Lucy Hale is flat and unlikable), clunky dialogue, inconsistencies in the rules and general script problems. But I didn't suffer through it or anything. And I liked how the ending tied back to the very first question she was asked. It's no Happy Death Day but the 19% is way too harsh. I'd give it a 5.5. 

We kind of have sort of similar opinions, except I thought Hale was the star of the show.  I loved everything about her.  She lit up the screen imo.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/dwayne-johnson-rampage-box-office-weekend-a-quiet-place-1202363694/

5th Update: The tables have turned and now New Line/Warner Bros.’ Rampage is looking to take No. 1 away from A Quiet Place with an estimated $34.6M opening weekend following a super family-fueled Saturday of $13.8M, +20% over Friday.

That’s not to say that the John Krasinski film didn’t do well, or that it slowed down significantly. A Quiet Place also saw a surge in Saturday business, +29% over Friday with $13.5M taking its second outing to $32.4M with a 10-day total of $99.4M.

So, tracking thought Rampage was going to be No. 1, then Friday showed A Quiet Place winning — what’s going on? Essentially, Friday the 13th business skewed heavily in favor A Quiet Place, enabling many to bet the horror thriller would win out. Meanwhile families turned up at matinees and continued to come in the evening for Rampage. It’s a popcorn movie that once people are in theater and have a fun time, they pass the good word on.

Universal/Blumhouse’s Truth or Dare is still on target for a 3rd place opening of $18.7M after a $6.7M Saturday that’s -19% from Friday following the front-loaded norm for horror movies. 

Warner Bros./Village Roadshow Ready Player One drew $5M on Saturday, +72% for an $11.1M third weekend, $114.3M domestic total. Universal’s Blockers is looking at 5th place with $10.4M, -49%, in its second go-round with a 10-day total of $37M.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 4

With this great jump, Rampage seems to be more like a family fanfare than VG movies or disaster pic. Second weekend drop should be slim. The only q is whether it will stand against IW firmly and drag on to 100M or crash and burn with 80M finish.

• Like 1

So we shouldn't have been as doom and gloomy about Rampage afterall. Granted the opening still isn't amazing. A Quiet Place will still have a good drop. Truth or Dare will have a great weekend. RPO and Blockers had hefty drops.

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Kinda reminds me of Kong: Skull Islands Saturday surge last March after the Friday number let many to believe it would have a bad opening.

Skull Island had a good OD I thought... 20M or something?

• Like 1