CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

Jesus at some of these funny book movie fanboys. It’s okay for people not to like a movie. It’s okay for people to think legs won’t be good because of the past. Just get over it.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, department store basement said:

I NEVER understood why anyone thought CW would open higher than what it actually did.

I mean, it had Captain America in the title, not Avengers.

Because it had most of the Avengers in it.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Having seen IW (and really liking it), I think that it will play pleasingly for casual GA's, as it is heavily reliant on fresh character interactions and strong action beats. Still, it definitely pays off a lot more if you're a Marvel fan, and just the way the movie concludes...... I'm still thinking it'll be frontloaded. But maybe not as frontloaded as Civil War.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 3

This doesn't even have a single sellout at Regal Gallery Place tonight in DC, and they were selling out Jumanji still like a month after release. Sales in D.C. and South Florida still look below Black Panther to me, but these are just the areas I track. I know Tailsman and Han have tracked that it is selling bonkers in their areas. But idk, Tele says that LA is lagging as well. I still think about 215. I know that's the low end, and I'll probably be wrong, but I'd rather go for it than predict in the same range as everyone else. Right now, I am not seeing anything in either the sales, the buzz, the zeitgeist, or the media chatter that would indicate this is going to do Force Awakens numbers. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This doesn't even have a single sellout at Regal Gallery Place tonight in DC, and they were selling out Jumanji still like a month after release. Sales in D.C. and South Florida still look below Black Panther to me, but these are just the areas I track. I know Tailsman and Han have tracked that it is selling bonkers in their areas. But idk, Tele says that LA is lagging as well. I still think about 215. I know that's the low end, and I'll probably be wrong, but I'd rather go for it than predict in the same range as everyone else. Right now, I am not seeing anything in either the sales, the buzz, the zeitgeist, or the media chatter that would indicate this is going to do Force Awakens numbers. 

I had to arrange seeing this 3 times in DC and Northern VA today through Monday and it was more difficult than for any Star Wars movie I can remember. So who knows.

I will add though that Black Panther had DC and GA #1 and #2 on Google trending while this has GA at #11 and DC #35 over the past week.  

Edited by Rumpot
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

It's just funny seeing people converting something so nebulous as how they feel about a movie into an integer and then promoting how confident they are in that number.

I mean...

That's always a big factor in box office projections. 

• Like 2

One thing to remember is BP did all time business in certain areas due to the films nature. 

I am looking at local theatres that were not as busy for BP and they are going nuts. 

So I think it all balances out but I agree with Cmasterclay that unless this has walkups like the first avengers movie, this is not beating TFA.

However, I sense there is a huge opening weekend coming and with ticket prices its not hard. Like TLJ was nowhere as big as TA busy at local theatres but it beat it easily. 

Be Honest I happy with 200/500 total lol as overseas will be 1 billion plus. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

13 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

You're not alone.  Sales at the most popular theater here pale in comparison to BATB, Black Panther, Star Wars, etc.

3 hours ago, Not really said:

It's weird to have an OW thread when it's Thursday morning in the US. 

Not really.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Not really said:

It's weird to have an OW thread when it's Thursday morning in the US. 

For the Opening of Life of the Party it would be weird, yes. But not for  a movie like Infinity War.

• Like 1

if it underperforms, what do people think the floor is 200+ or is there a chance it can go below that?

(BTW looking at the local theaters @baumer it has a much wider release then BP here). 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1