CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

Can someone explain to me why IW is gonna have legs higher than a 2.5? It's an MCU sequel. It's opening to enormous numbers already which take away from its legs. In its fourth and fifth weekends it's getting hit by two different $100M+ openers. Even well recieved MCU films aren't known for their great legs. Now of course there are always exceptions to everything (like BP which wasn't a sequel and got near universal acclaim plus GOTG which also wasn't a sequel and had all of August to itself) but I'm going to need someone to explain to me why IW would be an exception to everything we've known about not only MCU films but CBM in general. 

A 2.5 multiplier is being generous for this. 

• Like 2

Just now, Nova said:

Can someone explain to me why IW is gonna have legs higher than a 2.5? It's an MCU sequel. It's opening to enormous numbers already which take away from its legs. In its fourth and fifth weekends it's getting hit by two different $100M+ openers. Even well recieved MCU films aren't known for their great legs. Now of course there are always exceptions to everything (like BP which wasn't a sequel and got near universal acclaim plus GOTG which also wasn't a sequel and had all of August to itself) but I'm going to need someone to explain to me why IW would be an exception to everything we've known about not only MCU films but CBM in general. 

Well, the good reviews and good word-of-mouth could help. And there's people like me who can't see the film this weekend because of college finals or something of the sort. There's definitely people that, while not being able to see it this weekend, still want to see it.

Just now, slambros said:

Well, the good reviews and good word-of-mouth could help. And there's people like me who can't see the film this weekend because of college finals or something of the sort. There's definitely people that, while not being able to see it this weekend, still want to see it.

Umm that goes for every film. Not everyone sees a movie the weekend it comes out and then the showings for it cease to exist and it makes no money the rest of the way. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Legs are essentially irrelevant for this movie when it's going to open so massively (especially as the culmination of a decade of world-building).

Agreed make no mistake this’ll open huge but legs 2.5x or higher seem generous or very wishful thinking.

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I absolutely agree with everyone you've written and have written these exact thoughts on this board...but I haven't seen this movie...

But, I also wrote all of these same thoughts before I watched S:HC last year, ala sequel 5? only 2 years after the last Spidey reboot...and then I did a complete 180 after I saw it.  

The movie does actually matter...not just the circumstances:)...

So, I think we'll all have better thoughts after we see it.  We'll either confirm our original "intellectual" thoughts, or our guts will tell us that past performance be damned, this one is not gonna follow the norm...

• Like 3

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

3 hours to go:

7:00: 119/124 (+2)

7:00 3D: 85/113 (+4)

7:15: 66/78 (-2)

7:30 3D: 54/78 (+4)

7:45: 66/78

8:00 3D: 55/78 (+3)

8:15: 47/63 (+9)

8:45 3D: 53/69 (+7)

9:15: 65/78 (+2)

9:45: 60/78 (+3)

10:15 3D: 25/60 (+6)

10:30: 109/124 (+5)

10:30 3D: 53/113 (+7)

Total: 857/1,134 (+50)

Current comps in relation to final sales:

80% of The Last Jedi (176M)

172% of Black Panther (347.4M)

254% of Thor: Ragnarok (311.7M)

266% of Justice League (249.5M)

732% of Pacific Rim: Uprising (205.7M)

1,008% of Rampage (360.9M)

1,033% of A Quiet Place (518.6M)

1,058% of Blade Runner 2049 (347M)

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Umm that goes for every film. Not everyone sees a movie the weekend it comes out and then the showings for it cease to exist and it makes no money the rest of the way. 

It's Avengers though; they'll still have a good amount of showings, especially for the next three weeks.

Crap, I totally forgot to check out sell-outs around here.

Edit - Oh, I forgot there was a reason I stopped checking. An Alamo Drafthouse opened here in the fall which skewed the supply/demand so the sellout rate won't really be comparable to TFA or even Last Jedi.

Edited by Wrath

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

This is good form until you consider the bad blood between South Florida and Orlando and how insulted a Miami guy like Pitbull would be referencing the Orlando retirement suburbs ....but then you remember he's Mr. Worldwide and therefore transcends this so it's good form in the end

• Like 5

1 minute ago, slambros said:

It's Avengers though; they'll still have a good amount of showings, especially for the next three weeks.

So does every other CBM that comes out. So why would IW be the exception? 

Using the regular adult prices, my theater has sold approximately $8,614.30 tonight. Applying that to 4,000 theaters would result in 34.5M previews :thinking: Weekday adult tickets are below BOM's average ($8.90 vs $9.18), so keep that in mind

Edited by WrathOfHan