CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

I can see some people doing a BP/IW double feature really :)

Also IW starts at a 9.2 on imdb and number 23...-_-

However, some people who have seen this movie have seen it. So WOM is not toxic at least. 

warning: big fanboy post.

My generation is extremely into Harry Potter, but unfortunately, due to overprotective parents, I was never really allowed to take part in the defining franchise of our generation. Whereas my peers were always super into it, going to the premieres and hyping up the movies, I would always just be like "well, I like the pirates trilogy?" or something like that. I never thought I'd ever really be a part of the megafranchise that was Harry Potter, a once-in-a-generation chance to grow up alongside a film franchise. I know this probably doesn't mean much to anyone here, but as someone who grew up loving movies, it felt like I was missing some aspect of being a movie nerd.

In 2008, my parents took 12-year-old me and my brothers to the drive-in to see Indiana Jones 4. I was super excited to see it, but remember being kinda disappointed when it was over. However, my parents decided to let us stick around for the second movie, which was the original Iron Man. All five of us loved it, thinking it was one of the coolest superhero movies ever. I remember that summer running around, and doing the dumb repulsor pose when I was bored. I missed Incredible Hulk in theaters, but when Iron Man 2 came around, I didn't miss any of them.

Captain America 1 was my first midnight premiere, going with people I knew from the church group. Sophomore year me planned a costume outing to Avengers 1 that fell apart, but I still saw it at the premiere (the funny thing about this story is a friend dropped out two days before and we had an extra ticket so my mom went with us and sat in a different row lol). Avengers is still the best audience experience I've had at a movie; TFA is a very close second, but the energy of that crowd, at midnight, when it was a school night in high school, makes that so memorable to me. 

Phase 2 comes. I saw Iron Man 3 right after junior prom, while still wearing my tux. Captain America 2 was my going-away outing for a friend I had had since middle school. Guardians I saw twice on opening weekend, because a friend needed help getting over his first girlfriend. I go to college, and the first premiere I go to with all my new friends here is Age of Ultron. There are fun personal stories about Civil War and Doctor Strange, but they wouldn't make much sense here. I saw Guardians 2 with my brother the day he graduated graduate school when I had strep throat. It's been well-documented on these boards what happened to me at Ragnarok.

The point is that these Marvel movies, as generic as they are sometimes, have been around for me growing up. I saw Iron Man 1 when I was completing sixth grade, and now I'm about to graduate college. I know we got Avengers 4 next year, but this is the beginning of the end of what made me love these movies in the first place. Through the MCU, I've seen nine premiere showings, I've gone to twelve of them multiple times in theaters, and I saw every one (except Hulk) in theaters. I've graduated high school, added a major, wrote a full-length play. One of the first runs I really tracked here was Iron Man 3, and I always enjoy being active on the weekends (I'll never forget the shitshow that was Ultron OW).

The point is these movies have become my Harry Potter for my teenage and young adult years, always being there for me as I have grown up and always found time to enjoy them. They're never perfect movies (Guardians 1&2 are the peak of them and they're both super-flawed), but I always am glad I've seen them. Some of them I outright dislike (Thor 2 and Ant-Man come to mind), but still, I'm excited to see it all begin to end in just a few hours. Here's to a glorious weekend at BoxOfficeTheory, the culmination of a decade of box office runs, a decade of fan wars, and a decade of damn good blockbusters. I'm glad I can be here with you all to see this play out.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:
Spoiler

My generation is extremely into Harry Potter, but unfortunately, due to overprotective parents, I was never really allowed to take part in the defining franchise of our generation. Whereas my peers were always super into it, going to the premieres and hyping up the movies, I would always just be like "well, I like the pirates trilogy?" or something like that. I never thought I'd ever really be a part of the megafranchise that was Harry Potter, a once-in-a-generation chance to grow up alongside a film franchise. I know this probably doesn't mean much to anyone here, but as someone who grew up loving movies, it felt like I was missing some aspect of being a movie nerd.

In 2008, my parents took 12-year-old me and my brothers to the drive-in to see Indiana Jones 4. I was super excited to see it, but remember being kinda disappointed when it was over. However, my parents decided to let us stick around for the second movie, which was the original Iron Man. All five of us loved it, thinking it was one of the coolest superhero movies ever. I remember that summer running around, and doing the dumb repulsor pose when I was bored. I missed Incredible Hulk in theaters, but when Iron Man 2 came around, I didn't miss any of them.

Captain America 1 was my first midnight premiere, going with people I knew from the church group. Sophomore year me planned a costume outing to Avengers 1 that fell apart, but I still saw it at the premiere (the funny thing about this story is a friend dropped out two days before and we had an extra ticket so my mom went with us and sat in a different row lol). Avengers is still the best audience experience I've had at a movie; TFA is a very close second, but the energy of that crowd, at midnight, when it was a school night in high school, makes that so memorable to me. 

Phase 2 comes. I saw Iron Man 3 right after junior prom, while still wearing my tux. Captain America 2 was my going-away outing for a friend I had had since middle school. Guardians I saw twice on opening weekend, because a friend needed help getting over his first girlfriend. I go to college, and the first premiere I go to with all my new friends here is Age of Ultron. There are fun personal stories about Civil War and Doctor Strange, but they wouldn't make much sense here. I saw Guardians 2 with my brother the day he graduated graduate school when I had strep throat. It's been well-documented on these boards what happened to me at Ragnarok.

The point is that these Marvel movies, as generic as they are sometimes, have been around for me growing up. I saw Iron Man 1 when I was completing sixth grade, and now I'm about to graduate college. I know we got Avengers 4 next year, but this is the beginning of the end of what made me love these movies in the first place. Through the MCU, I've seen nine premiere showings, I've gone to twelve of them multiple times in theaters, and I saw every one (except Hulk) in theaters. I've graduated high school, added a major, wrote a full-length play. One of the first runs I really tracked here was Iron Man 3, and I always enjoy being active on the weekends (I'll never forget the shitshow that was Ultron OW).

The point is these movies have become my Harry Potter for my teenage and young adult years, always being there for me as I have grown up and always found time to enjoy them. They're never perfect movies (Guardians 1&2 are the peak of them and they're both super-flawed), but I always am glad I've seen them. Some of them I outright dislike (Thor 2 and Ant-Man come to mind), but still, I'm excited to see it all begin to end in just a few hours. Here's to a glorious weekend at BoxOfficeTheory, the culmination of a decade of box office runs, a decade of fan wars, and a decade of damn good blockbusters. I'm glad I can be here with you all to see this play out.

My face was exactly your profile pic when I saw this much text:

miguel.thumb.png.efe777d6a82691a186fcdd1

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Blankments said:

This is a great post! Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Previews at the same level as TLJ point towards the OW record. TFA level and 300M is within reach.

A preview around TLJ I think almost locks the opening weekend record.

Civil War and Ultron got around 14% of the OW total from the Previews.

If you increase that to 18% you get 250 million. (TLJ is around 20% as a comparison)

If you go down to around 40 million a percentage of 16% gets yours around 250 million

:kitschjob:

I fully expect to see 35 million previews and see people freaking out to sub 200 million and it opening to around 220 million easily. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

9 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Don’t even remember, he doesn’t have many posts and had a James Cameron avatar. Lol, I was called needy (meaning poor), illiterate (I have a Cambridge proficiency in English besides my college degree but whatever) and many more more general bad things about my country that I don’t even remember. Anyway don’t really care about it or asking for bans I just found it a bit funny, though kind of understandable I guess, that Baumer thought that I was calling him and members of this forum pigs , I mean I love Baumer :)

Oh one of those trashy James Cameron faboys. You should have reported the post.

2 minutes ago, Sam said:

I don’t see it.

Tele tells me his data doesn’t support it.

What data does he have? I never see him posting any 🤔

The data that Porthos and TalismanRing have been providing show that it’s already at least 60% bigger right now than BP in the markets they provide numbers for and we still have hours hours to go before the first show.