CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Its not a letdown and shouldn’t be seen as one.  But when for the last month you’ve had a large group of members claim OW record was the floor and 300m OW was a real possibility then of course people are going to cry disappointment.  They created crazy expectations.

Even during TFA’s insane run, there were a few members who were unimpressed because our predictions for way out of hand (even for a movie that did insane numbers).

After CW and AOU opening, I think it was best to stay conservative imo. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

No way it can be more front loaded then TLJ so min is 200 million. 

I’m not in anyway saying under 200m is realistic.  I’m saying 190m isn’t impossible given previous high preview movies.

Only casuals Sith deal in absolutes.

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda

2 minutes ago, Not really said:

TA, JW, and TFA all did around 190mil without previews. IW would have to do closer to 210 to break the OW record. It's possible, but unlikely. TLJ is a goner, though.

to get to 230 AIW needs to add AOU's entire 191 ow to it's 39 previews...which seems possible. some feat that is.

Avengers: Infinity War

Following Star Wars: The Force Awakens (December 2015)

$81.5M Friday ($39M Thur)

$46.7M Saturday (-42.7%)

$41.42M Sunday (-11.3%)

$169.6M Weekend

Following Star Wars: The Last Jedi (December 2017)

$90.73M Friday ($39M Thur)

$55.44M Saturday (-38.9%)

$44.46M Sunday (-19.8%)

$190.63M Weekend

Following Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows - Part 2

$81.65M Friday ($39M Thur)

$38.05M Saturday (-53.4%)

$32.04M Sunday (-15.8%)

$151.74M Weekend

Following The Avengers: Age of Ultron

$119.86M Friday ($39M Thur)

$80.31M Saturday (-33%)

$71.47M Sunday (-11%)

$271.64M Weekend

Following Black Panther

$116.85M Friday ($39M Thur)

$101.54M Saturday (-13.1%)

$92.4M Sunday (-9%)

$310.79M Weekend (No chance in hell)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Its not a letdown and shouldn’t be seen as one.  But when for the last month you’ve had a large group of members claim OW record was the floor and 300m OW was a real possibility then of course people are going to cry disappointment.  They created crazy expectations.

Even during TFA’s insane run, there were a few members who were unimpressed because our predictions for way out of hand (even for a movie that did insane numbers).

Like Ultron and Cw and probably A4 in the future, people set too unrealistic expectations due their own hype, ignoring past evidence and in IW’s case BP’s unprecedented breakout. However it’s too early imo on where it’ll open (thinking $220M-$250M).

• Like 1

A month ago I was around 210 million for this but I went with 221.6 million for the contest.

I think this will be a bit backloaded...I think this will do sub 100 million today though but I think it will likely do around 70 million on Saturday. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Like Ultron and Cw and probably A4 in the future, people set too unrealistic expectations due their own hype, ignoring past evidence and in IW’s case BP’s unprecedented breakout. However it’s too early imo on where it’ll open (thinking $220M-$250M).

I think there’s potential for A4, TLK or IX to break the OW record next year (maybe not the Adjusted one, but I think ticket price inflation will put it in play).  I think this year was a bit too early.

That being said we do only have a preview number and there’s always the potential the weekend goes crazy and we get a 260m OW or something.  But I’m think 215-255m or so is the likely range

• Like 2

Just now, Heretic said:

Likely. It's heading for an opening in the mid 30s. Same multiplier as AoU would give it $100m.

:ohmygod: That would be the same range as TLJ's UK OW of 37M. Insane.

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

No way it can be more front loaded then TLJ so min is 200 million. 

It's not, it's just that so many people were clamoring for it to breaking the opening weekend record. It doesn't have to do that, in order to get massive numbers though.

Awww the hype from that earlier $45m number gone. $39m still gigantic obviously. 

Seeing the film tonight!! 

Haven’t seen a single spoiler, the benefits of muting all related terms on twitter. Wouldn’t even know the film was opening lol. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Even during TFA’s insane run, there were a few members who were unimpressed because our predictions got way out of hand (even for a movie that did insane numbers).

I stuck with 239m as my prediction, to the bitter end. At least I didn't let the hype consume me though, and put in 300m in the derby, unlike a certain user. :sparta:

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2