AniNate

Hunter Killer | October 26 2018 | Lionsgate | dir. Donovan Marsh | action film starring Gerard Butler, Gary Oldman, Common, and Michael Nyqvist

13 minutes ago, Alli said:

Gary oldman is not very selective with his roles, is he? not even after winning the oscar

He was cast early 2016 and the movie was shot summer 2016, before Darkest Hours released.

That said Oldman is probably in a group like Tilda Swinton for who winning an Oscar changed very little if anything, could not get more respected by the industry/director anyway....

Swinton said in a interview she didn't saw any change in the volume of call her agents got before/after, I imagine the same would go for Julianne Moore, DiCaprio, 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barnack said:

He was cast early 2016 and the movie was shot summer 2016, before Darkest Hours released.

That said Oldman is probably in a group like Tilda Swinton for who winning an Oscar changed very little if anything, could not get more respected by the industry/director anyway....

Swinton said in a interview she didn't saw any change in the volume of call her agents got before/after, I imagine the same would go for Julianne Moore, DiCaprio, 

DiCaprio is hella selective, which is why his output the past 15 years or so has been with nothing but the most respected/prestigious directors. I wouldn't expect him to reach that "I don't give a fuck anymore" stage of his career until he's in his 60s like De Niro did.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

has been with nothing but the most respected/prestigious directors

Yeah there is not really room to go higher because of an oscar win for him, already only doing 9 figures budget movies from pretty much the best team of people making movies for 20m +20%.

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

Yeah there is not really room to go higher because of an oscar win for him, already only doing 9 figures budget movies from pretty much the best team of people making movies for 20m +20%.

Took him long enough to get that oscar though.

Does this film have some dated charm or is it complete trash? I'm not sure what to think of it judging from the trailers (let alone this storyline).

But G. Butler isn't to blame for the flopping of Geostorm (I think it would have performed even worse with most other actors and WW it grossed almost 188M) and Den Of Thieves was a small surprise this year so let's see what is possible here. I guess the reviews (as far as the target audience is interested in them) won't be the best. So far there's one (very) negative and one positive at RT.

Edit: The first German official review is up and also more positive than negative. They say it has from time to time a bit too much pathos and not the greatest character development but there's no pure black and white thinking who are the good and bad guys and below the line it's a good action film with enough tension and visual appeal.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1