sfran43

Wednesday numbers: IW $7M

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

@ChipMunky, so if IW opened to 150 million and finished with 450 million, would you then say it was good, seeing as the multiplier was 3 instead of 2.5?

No, that would be bad. Because that would be a bad opening weekend. But I would also say it salvaged the bad OW with a great multiplier. But that would be a very disappointing box office result.

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

Maybe I'm looking at it based on the expectations I had.  I thought it would perform like a lot of Avengers sequels and only have a 2.3-2.4X.  It looks like it's going to settle in at around a 2.5.  To me, for Marvel sequels, that's really quite good.

For me this isn’t a simple marvel sequel, I might be wrong but that’s the way I feel. Making less than black panther in the u.s is a huge disappointment , no matter how many times I read about zeitgeist and churches booking tickets. I wasn’t expecting it to reach TFA levels, in the u.s, but missing 700 million after its first week and watching this perform so banal after that first week is disappointing TO ME. Don’t care about the marvel-hating people and I don’t see the numbers with the same bias they do, they basically celebrate while I am disappointed.

Anyway great news about Cobra Kai , the second season will be epic.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

And that would be fantastic!

Yep, much better than 2.3 or 2.4 with Civil War/IM3/Ultron...especially since Infinity opened much larger. The bigger the opening, usually it means weaker legs. So bigger opening and better legs...that is a win/win for Marvel compared to some of those previous MCU sequels.

• Like 1

If multi's are all that matters does that mean Transformers: TLK with it's x2.9 was good? What about Dark of the Moons x3.5? Does this mean ChipMunkey is a fan of Transformers?

Edited by Ledmonkey96

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

No cause at least I don't have 80 members dragging me at the same time.

It's like if Trump supporters started "dragging" me. I take it as a compliment.

At least you all are finally learning things about box office today.

Well, as arbitrary as it is, a record of “4th worst multi in Top 25 movies” surely isn’t anywhere as glamorous as “the worst multi for a 150M+ opener”

But I think Marvel will have to be content with that all things considered.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

For me this isn’t a simple marvel sequel, I might be wrong but that’s the way I feel. Making less than black panther in the u.s is a huge disappointment , no matter how many times I read about zeitgeist and churches booking tickets. I wasn’t expecting it to reach TFA levels, in the u.s, but missing 700 million after its first week and watching this perform so banal after that first week is disappointing TO ME. Don’t care about the marvel-hating people and I don’t see the numbers with the same bias they do, they basically celebrate while I am disappointed.

Anyway great news about Cobra Kai , the second season will be epic.

Nobody ever said that team movies must make more than individual movies domestically. Therefore this coming second to BP is not a disappointment, WTF? It increased over both AoU and TA, will pass TA, will hit 2B WW. Moreover, it's the same Marvel House. They do not care. It's just fans who fight over boxoffice while the studio is laughing all the way to the bank. 

great news for CK!

Edited by Valonqar

11 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Most of the Top 25 films are from franchises with large fandoms.

all of the top25 minus the top 2 are franchises

Edited by IronJimbo

1 minute ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

If multi's are all that matters does that mean Transformers: TLK with it's x2.9 was good? What about Dark of the Moons x3.5? Does this mean ChipMunkey is a fan of Transformers?

Multipliers aren't all that matter. Do any of you actually read?

2.9 is a good multiplier for a Transformers film! (except it opened on a wednesday, so... that's actually pretty bad!)

Same for Dark of the Moon. Do you do research?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sam said:

Well, as arbitrary as it is, a record of “4th worst multi in Top 25 movies” surely isn’t anywhere as glamorous as “the worst multi for a 150M+ opener”

But I think Marvel will have to be content with that all things considered.

You're right! BvS DID have a horrible multiplier! Glad you're catching on.

235*2.70=635 would make people happier than 258*2.55=658 it seems. it's as if each good number is a high and people want a bigger and bigger high everyday without any perspective, else they show withdrawal symptoms.

• Like 1