sfran43

Wednesday numbers: IW $7M

2 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

AIW and BP this week are pretty similar. Higher disc Tue and a bit higher Wed drop for AIW. So combined Tue and Wed to see as a multiple of Monday:

AIW

2018/05/07 1 $8,283,575 -77% 4,474 $1,851   $461,390,925 11
2018/05/08 1 $10,673,500 +29% 4,474 $2,386   $472,064,425 12
2018/05/09 1 $7,000,000 -34% 4,474 $1,565   $479,064,425 13

Tue + Wed = 2.13x Monday

BP

2018/02/26 1 $8,098,481 -77% 4,020 $2,015   $411,711,738 11
2018/02/27 1 $10,204,038 +26% 4,020 $2,538   $421,915,776 12
2018/02/28 1 $6,876,570 -33% 4,020 $1,711   $428,792,346 13

Tue + Wed = 2.11x Monday

When looking at daily drops, you can't exclude the week to week drops.

Anyways 7 million is not a great number let’s be honest here. I mean the day-to-day gap between IW and TFA is only getting bigger. There’s now 130M difference between them. For a movie that has the biggest OW of all time it just seems a little underwhelming. Let’s see if China can save it. 

Edited by GraceRandolph
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Then why is there only two or three guys in here trying to make this out to be some kind of disappointment based on weekday numbers?  It's done nothing but huge money on the weekends, dropping 55% off a record weekend, and is behaving normally on the weekdays.  So why is it just you and a couple of other guys are trying to make it out to be something it's not.  

I am not taking sides here because I don’t love or hate the film enough to plant my flag on either side of the debate. However, from what I have observed, there does seem to be some disappointment setting in as people realize there is a good chance the film may not pass BP or $700M. Given how it opened more than $55M above BP, some might think it is underperforming or even crashing especially with the intense love many moviegoers have for the film. It is tough for them to reconcile their love for the film, its massive opening and the real possibility it may not be the 2018 domestic champ.

$7M on a second Wednesday is a ridiculously good number considering how many films do not make that much on their first Friday or Saturday. That being said, some people might be disappointed if they expected the film to perform like BP on a day to day basis. 

If that $7M holds, that is 2.7% of the OW gross. BP grossed $6,876,570 on its second Wednesday or 3.4% of its OW. If anything, it’s this descent which some are recognizing as not being “fine” when compared to BP or TFA but it is in fact a solid, if not above average performance for a Marvel film. 

The film may not have any new domestic records in its future but every single film released this year besides BP would love to be where AIW is right now domestically. Internationally, no other  film this year will come close to it. It is certainly more than “fine” overseas.

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I can think of a grand total of zero people that want to read through these arguments about insignificant bullshit

each post should reduce the poster's like-count by 1 or 2 or 3. so posters won't post unless they feel their post can garner enough likes. most of our like-count would then be negative due to unnecessary posts and then people with lower like ratio should have a limit on number of posts per page or hour or something (and that's how new members should also start, with limits on posting).

Edited by A2k Raptor
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, A2k Raptor said:

each post should reduce the poster's like-count by 1 or 2 or 3. so posters won't post unless they feel their post can garner enough likes. most of our like-count would then be negative due to unnecessary posts and then people with lower like ratio should have a limit on number of posts per page or hour or something (and that's how new members should also start, with limits on posting).

hi reddit!

So assuming about $6.7m for Thursday, it would make these amounts for the weekend depending on each scenario:

Civil War daily percentages: $59m weekend

Avengers 1 daily percentages: $60m weekend

Age of Ultron daily percentages: $65m weekend

Black Panther daily percentages: $67m weekend

Take the average of these 4 scenarios and you get a $62.75 million weekend. Seems like a pretty reasonable expectation.

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Anyways 7 million is not a great number let’s be honest here. I mean the day-to-day gap between IW and TFA is only getting bigger. There’s now 130M difference between them. For a movie that has the biggest OW of all time it just seems a little underwhelming. Let’s see if China can save it. 

I get that these weekday numbers are nothing special, but the use of the word "save" here is kinda comical. Does IW's BO need saving in any way, shape, or form? :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

tbt.gif

either that or you’re really, REALLY new to box office

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

I would vote for this idea 👏

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Chipmonkey is right, do you guys not remember how hyped you were after the first monday? Everyone seemed to be in agreement #2 was locked.

See, this statement is ridiculous...maybe some newbies were saying that, but most seasoned vets were at most saying that the 1st weekend Sunday and Monday numbers meant that the movie had a very good chance to do better than the pre-opening leg expectations of 2.1x-2.4x (and these expectations were based off of what the movie was - a threequel in a universe of XX number of Marvel movies that was also stuck as a part 1 of a finale)...and the board vets weren't going much farther b/c it was still so early...

Heck, it's still early...Spidey's legs only started kicking now, but no one (but a few folks) even really saw that til weeks 4-5...(EDIT - so anyone who says they know a certain number is locked, even now, is probably gonna end up with egg later)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

Speaking of cluttering a thread up with trollish posts...

9 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

Oh boy I would have to do some extreme like whoring

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

So assuming about $6.7m for Thursday, it would make these amounts for the weekend depending on each scenario:

Civil War daily percentages: $59m weekend

Avengers 1 daily percentages: $60m weekend

Age of Ultron daily percentages: $65m weekend

Black Panther daily percentages: $67m weekend

Take the average of these 4 scenarios and you get a $62.75 million weekend. Seems like a pretty reasonable expectation.

And if it follows Ultrons week to week drops, it ends at $57.36 mil. 

10 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

Yeah but most likes are garnered from memes and 69 jokes....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

See, this statement is ridiculous...maybe some newbies were saying that, but most seasoned vets were at most saying that the 1st weekend Sunday and Monday numbers meant that the movie had a very good chance to do better than the pre-opening leg expectations of 2.1x-2.4x (and these expectations were based off of what the movie was - a threequel in a universe of XX number of Marvel movies that was also stuck as a part 1 of a finale)...and the board vets weren't going much farther b/c it was still so early...

Heck, it's still early...Spidey's legs only started kicking now, but no one (but a few folks) even really saw that til weeks 4-5...(EDIT - so anyone who says they know a certain number is locked, even now, is probably gonna end up with egg later)...

I completely agree! The 700m+ crowd was deafening though, so many of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LonePirate said:

I am not taking sides here because I don’t love or hate the film enough to plant my flag on either side of the debate. However, from what I have observed, there does seem to be some disappointment setting in as people realize there is a good chance the film may not pass BP or $700M. Given how it opened more than $55M above BP, some might think it is underperforming or even crashing especially with the intense love many moviegoers have for the film. It is tough for them to reconcile their love for the film, its massive opening and the real possibility it may not be the 2018 domestic champ.

$7M on a second Wednesday is a ridiculously good number considering how many films do not make that much on their first Friday or Saturday. That being said, some people might be disappointed if they expected the film to perform like BP on a day to day basis. 

If that $7M holds, that is 2.7% of the OW gross. BP grossed $6,876,570 on its second Wednesday or 3.4% of its OW. If anything, it’s this descent which some are recognizing as not being “fine” when compared to BP or TFA but it is in fact a solid, if not above average performance for a Marvel film. 

The film may not have any new domestic records in its future but every single film released this year besides BP would love to be where AIW is right now domestically. Internationally, no other  film this year will come close to it. It is certainly more than “fine” overseas.

Maybe I'm looking at it based on the expectations I had.  I thought it would perform like a lot of Avengers sequels and only have a 2.3-2.4X.  It looks like it's going to settle in at around a 2.5.  To me, for Marvel sequels, that's really quite good.

5 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Yeah but most likes are garnered from memes and 69 jokes....

true but i think good memes and jokes are an attraction too apart from bo numbers and keep the forums fun when waiting for numbers.

i also feel that quoting posts should transfer 1 like from you to the person you are quoting. that way folks won't reply to trolls and sacrifice their likes to a worthy post/poster.

Edited by A2k Raptor
  • Like 1