The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

I love that Jaws basically exists -- as we know it -- because the weather for the shoot was fucking terrible and the mechanical shark broke down.  I think only Apocalypse Now has a better BTS story.

As for LOTR,

One of the local theaters is doing an All Day, 12 Hour Marathon of All Three of The Extended Cuts.  The film fangirl in me is like, "Yaaas, Good Times, Let's DOOO It."  The rational human being in me is like, "Bitch, you have a 70" TV with sound bar and subwoofer.  No.  Just, No."

Good to see others loving Jaws. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, baumer said:

Good to see others loving Jaws. 

One of the greatest things about Jaws is also one of the key reasons why younger people (like me) can really appreciate it i think: The fact that they dont show the shark for so long. The tension is built masterfully and the characters and dialogue are on point, always keeping the pacing brisk. And when they battle the shark in the 2nd half it doesnt even matter that it looks fake; because the film has ensured long before, that this is a real threat to the characters we are rooting for.

• Like 1

Guys I'm feeling it Titanic is going to be real high, it's got about 4 top 1's

Titanic 2016 - 28th

Number 1 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 5 Placements

where was all the titanic love in 2016?

Edited by IronJimbo

17 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

"The highest ranking film from Walt Disney". If he's including Pixar, it ain't appearing

oh god the missing one is going to be The Avengers isn't it?

• ...wtf 1

While I'm doing the next write up, enjoy some of @aabattery blurbs that I unrighteously snubbed

Jurassic Park: "I've loved dinosaurs ever since I was a wee lad and this is the  dinosaurs movie. Pretty much tailor made for my tastes."

Taxi Driver: "DeNiro and Scorsese's magnum opus. It's grimy as hell but goddamn is it enthralling."

Rear Window: "One of those movies you watch and end up thinking at the end "far out that was good.""

Fargo: "You're darn tootin'!"

Also here's @captainwondyful's take on Beauty and the Beast I accidentally skipped over

"Beauty and The Beast begins with the perfect I Want Song in “Belle”, where we meet our bookish beauty and feminist icon Belle.  For 1991 Disney, she’s basically a radical feminist; and she paved the path for future Disney Princesses. Belle is NOT here for Gaston’s toxic masculinity or the poor provincial town’s boring gender norms.  She wants adventure in the great wide somewhere! She wants someone to understand. I can’t count the times I’ve been in my car, screaming this at the top of my lungs, because I feel it so deeply.

When her father disappears on a trip to a science fair, Belle takes her story into her own hands.  She goes to rescue him, only to find he’s been kidnapped by The Beast. One of the biggest criticism I hear about this film is it’s basically Stockholm Syndrome: The Musical.  If someone thinks that, they can go sit in the corner and think about how wrong they are. Belle, even in capacity, never loses her agency. She decides to stay in her father’s place. She decides to skip dinner leading into “Be Our Guest”.  She decides to look past The Beast to see the decency and goodness inside which leads to “Something There.” She decides to go back to aid The Beast after Gatson declares his intention to kill The Beast. By calling it Stockholm Syndrome, people take away Belle’s agency and miss the entire point of the movie: That we must look past appearances and superficial differences so that we can connect with others on a deep and honest level.

Most interestingly, the movie is a subtle but damning musing on masculinity.  Gaston, one of Disney's scariest villains, is Narcissus, who uses his looks and physique to rule over the town, despite not have any other qualifications. The Beast is a violent manchild who must learn that he cannot lash out in fits of violence and automatically get his way; and he must learn empathy and kindness, in order to escape his curse and truly be human.

Howard Ashman was an immense talent who we lost too soon.  "Tale As Old As Time" is so simple yet earnest as sung by Angela Lansbury. His lyrics are top notch throughout, particularly in the unsung hero of the show: “The Mob Song.”  What a climax! Panicked! Fast! Crazed Madness! I also love the story that Alan Menken wrote part of the fight scene in like ten minutes as a placeholder, but when he went back to write the “real part” they couldn’t think of anything better.  True geniuses.

Beauty and the Beast is Howard Ashman and Alan Menken’s magnum opus; not only is it one of the best movies (live action or animated) of all time, it is one of the best musicals of all time."

• Like 5

goodfellas-5326bf51eef5c.jpg

Number 16

GoodFellas (1990)

Warner Brothers, Directed by Martin Scorsese (115 Points, 25 Votes)

2a51436b5a22a47735f8b3e84464f8c4.jpg

"As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a gangster."

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 5 Placements: 4

Top 10 Placements: 7

Top 25 Placements: 13

Previous Rankings: 2016 (20, +4), 2014 (21, +5), 2013 (7, -9), 2012 (20, +4)

Awards Count: Won 1 Oscar, Nominated for Best Picture

Tomatometer: 96% (9.0 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 46.8m (101.5m Adjusted)

Synopsis: The story of Henry Hill and his life in the mob, covering his relationship with his wife Karen Hill and his mob partners Jimmy Conway and Tommy DeVito in the Italian-American crime syndicate.

Critic Opinion: "This extraordinarily personal adaptation of Nicholas Pileggi's 1985 best-seller, ``Wiseguy,'' never reminds you of a documentary or a studiously objective nonfiction report. It's an inside account, something like a Hitler youth's memoirs of his good and bad times with the Third Reich, and how he finally abandoned his cohorts not out of a sense of justice but in order to ensure his own survival.  It's a troubling film, perhaps more horrifying in its depiction of casual, merciless urban violence than anything Scorsese or any other filmmaker has done to date. What's most disturbing about it is that the killers are treated with such humor and affection that the audience is implicated in their emotions, becoming vicarious accessories to their crimes.

Scorsese doesn't seem to have forgotten a single tacky Top 40 hit from the 1960s-1970s (the movie begins in 1955 and ends in 1980). He takes an almost sadistic pleasure in showing how they were once part of our lives, whether we wanted them there or not.``GoodFellas'' is an appalling masterpiece of the kind that, along with New York's current well-publicized troubles, is likely to give pause to anyone planning to make a trip to the city. But a postscript includes a local kicker - tying Henry Hill's career to Seattle in 1987 - that makes the hellish world it re-creates seem suddenly, spookily smaller." -  John Hartl

User Opinions: "My pick as the best film ever made. Everything just comes together beautifully here." - @DAR

"Arguably the best mob/gangster movie after Godfather 1 & 2. Not much to say that hasn't been said already, but I love everything about this movie and it's incredibly rewatchable." - @FTF

"I'm on a Martin Scorsese' movies marathon, this is the second movies watched after The Departed.It was a great movie, a classic gem in the mob/gangster categories for sure. It has the distinct Scorsese flavor in it, and as often seen in his movies, strong acting performances from everyone. Compelling story, good directing, neat editing, and great music." - @Sam

Commentary: Martin Scorsese makes the list again with his premiere mobster classic, GoodFellas.  GoodFellas has never missed our top 25, and it's more often than not placed within the top 20, and it'd be difficult to make a case against it.  GoodFellas is an adrenaline rush, from the profane violence, to the fourth wall breaking narration, the film blasts off and takes you on a crime-filled ride.  It's not just fun though, it also manages to fill itself with shocks and disturbing realities present about New York's criminal life.  It's also the most innovative and creative bio-pic ever put to screen.  The film is full of style and shows Scorsese at the top of his game as a director, it demonstrates how effective storytelling is not narrative or exposition driven, but character and motivation driven.  Goodfellas made 41% of the lists that were submitted and it had an average score of 4.6 from those users.

Decade Count: 90s (22), 10s (15), '00s (13), 80s (12), 70s (9), 60s (6), 50s (4), 40s (3), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (67), 80%-90% (12), 70%-80% (3)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (3), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (3), 600m (2), 500m (2), 400m (9), 300m (8), 200m (12), 100m (16), Under 100m (25)

Director Count: Steven Spielberg (5), Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (3), Ridley Scott (3), Martin Scorsese (3), Damien Chazelle (2), Francis Ford Copolla (2), David Fincher (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Christopher Nolan (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Lee Unkrich (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Roger Allers (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Frank Darabont (1), Pete Docter (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), Rob Minkoff (1), John Musker (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Robert Zemeckis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (12), Pixar (7), Steven Spielberg (5), James Cameron (3), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), WDAS (3), Dead Wife Cinematic Universe/Nolan (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Nemo (1), The Godfather (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1), Mad Max (1), Jurassic Park (1), Jaws (1)

Genre Count: Drama (33), Adventure (29), VFX Driven (26), Thriller (22), Sci-Fi (21), Fantasy (21), Epic (20), Comedy (19), Action (18), Family/Children (17), Period Piece (15), Novel Adaption (15), Romance (14), Animation (13), Crime/Noir (13), Sequel (12), Indie (11), Horror (11), War (10), Tragedy (10), Musical (7), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (5), Western (5), Melodrama (4), Romantic Comedy (4), Spy/Detective (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Bio-Pic (3), Comic Book (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

30-hell.png?w=1024

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Wow Titanic is REALLY high up.

TOG, it's in the top 5. In 2016 it had just one placement as the #1 and 2 top 5s. This year we have 4+ top 1s and a hell of a load of top 5s.

• Like 3

I keep wondering if there will ever be a movie that replaces Goodfellas as my number 1 film.  And so far that hasn’t happened.  Hell I’ll even watch the massively edited for tv version 

11 minutes ago, Auteur Panda said:

The rest will come in a few hours, we’ll be going to 11 tonight

Nice reference to a film that should have made the list