The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

I tend to agree that its the films ranked 101-250 that tend to be more interesting. They have passion enough to make upper portion of the list but not enough broad support to crack the top 100. In someways the more accessible films are found in that realm although there are exceptions just as with the top 100. 

As for the last batch...

Gravity = great!

Singing in the Rain = near perfection, but I will always enjoy Roger & Hammerstein's 1950s musical better - and An American In Paris is a slightly better film overall (IMO).

Good Will Hunting - That Adjusted gross is just huge! And a great film - #ImissRobinWilliams

The Holy Grail = Well, finally a film that I haven't seen (or can't remember seeing) after not being impressed with other films of that genre / franchise I have never tried this one.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

On the Town > Singin' in the Rain imo but I can't begrudge the latter being there. Kinda wish people would explore more of the genre if they love its most famous movie so much though.

I could have done a whole 100 of just musicals. These thirteen made the cut for my list:

Cabaret

Beauty and The Beast (1991)

Purple Rain

The Lion King

The Wizard of Oz

Singing In The Rain

White Christmas

The Music Man

Anastasia

Hairspray (2007)

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Moulin Rouge

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Which makes me realize someone needs to take away my gay card, because, Holy Shit, I left off The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, and Gypsy. 

This is what happens when your computer eats your list an hour to deadline, and you’re scrambling to put it back together.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Star_Wars_The_Last_Jedi470.jpg

Number 96

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Lucasfilm, Directed by Rian Johnson (46 Points, 11 Votes)

d9e42158916233.5a0de7b76aa8d.jpg

"Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 3

Top 25 Placements: 6

Previous Rankings: N/A

Awards Count: Nominated for 4 Oscars

Tomatometer: 91% (8.1 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 620.2m

Synopsis: Rey develops her newly discovered abilities with the guidance of Luke Skywalker, who is unsettled by the strength of her powers. Meanwhile, the Resistance prepares for battle with the First Order.

Critic Opinion: "It’s such undercurrents that anchor “The Last Jedi” to today and, if you’re of a mind, can even prompt gratitude for a pop entertainment aware of how fragile simple decency can be. The film may seem especially resonant to younger audiences who feel the world currently coming down around their ears like a destroyed planet.

I have this on good authority: That 6-year-old daughter, now in her early 20s, who sat beside me in the screening and, to no one’s greater shock than her own, found herself in tears. “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is a thrill ride and a great good time, but it’s also about finding inspiration among the embattled and the principled, no matter how outnumbered they or we may feel.

In short, it feels like a new hope." - Ty Burr

User Opinion: "Yeah. I pretty much loved that.

There was a part in the middle where it got really emotionally complex for me, because it looked like it was about to go down a road I would have absolutely hated, but then it switched it up on me. There were multiple moments where I was drawn in to the point of getting a nice emotional punch. Rollicking ride." - @A Roc in Time

"Uuuuuuugh, man this movie was SO GOOD. I could literally rant so much more about it but I doubt anyone will read all this shit lmao. I'm just so happy they did such an amazing job. I'll be seeing it like......legit 9 more times......I'm not going to rank this exactly now till I see it at least one more time, but I do know it's in my top 3 SW films." - @K1stpierre

Commentary: Star Wars: The Last Jedi is the 9th entry into the Star Wars franchise, and the 8th episode movie of the saga.  Every franchise that runs for as long as Star Wars does at some point needs a little shake up, and The Last Jedi was the movie to do that for Star Wars.  It's either been loved to death or cursed to no end by fans, but few would likely say this film isn't bold and original the direction it does dare to take.  Like City of God, Star Wars: The Last Jedi averaged 4.2 points from each member that voted for it, meaning despite how new it was, members who loved this film already had it among their all-time favorites, and it was on the lists of 18% of the members who sent in a list.

Decade Count: 10s (3), '00s (1), 80s (1)

Director Count: Rian Johnson (1), Ang Lee (1), Richard Linklater (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Franchise Count: Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1)

qWglzM0.png

Welp, 1st movie that really shouldn't be on the list, but you knew there'd be a few:)...

I wonder if this one stays on as the next few years progress...I doubt it...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Welp, 1st movie that really shouldn't be on the list, but you knew there'd be a few:)...

On the contrary I bet it places higher next time we do this

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Rorschach said:

I’ll still be sticking by my 7/10 rating then.

Probably won't ever show up on my list. But the people who love it are probably only gonna love it more. And it's star wars so it's not like anoyone is gonna forget about it

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

I really like On The Town, it's fun and filled with some great scenes but just not in the same league.  It fits in with other solid Kelly/Astaire musicals like Take Me Out To The Ball Game, & Anchors Away (my favorite of the group)Singing In The Rain, An American In Paris & Brigadoon are my top tier Kelly with The Pirate somewhere in between.

I've seen a lot of musicals, it's one of my favorite genres,

The Pirate is my favorite. Kelly in full-on walking cartoon mode, Garland with her finest comic performance, and the whole thing is so kinky and feverish and hothouse-like - yet surprisingly smart, too - it's not quite like anything else I've seen from the period. 

You might be the first person I've encountered who actually likes Anchors Aweigh. I thought it was basically On the Town with 150% of its running time and about 1% of its energy. George Sidney is my nemesis for that one and The Harvey Girls. 

You've clearly seen a good deal more than me, though as it happens I am on another small musical kick right now. Watched Cabin in the Sky yesterday. Quite something.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It’s in my top 25 and my favorite Star Wars movie so it’ll remain high on my list for a good while. 

I had Life of Pi and TLJ on my list, so glad they’re in the top 100. Finally watched Phantom Thread last night and I would’ve included it if I’d seen it sooner. Hopefully it makes the list. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I could have done a whole 100 of just musicals. These thirteen made the cut for my list:

Cabaret

Purple Rain

The Lion King

The Wizard of Oz

Singing In The Rain

White Christmas

The Music Man

Anastasia

Hairspray (2007)

Moulin Rouge

Which makes me realize someone needs to take away my gay card, because, Holy Shit, I left off The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, and Gypsy. 

This is what happens when your computer eats your list an hour to deadline, and you’re scrambling to put it back together.

I had Cabaret, A Star Is Born, The Pirate and The Young Girls of Rochefort on mine. And Nashville, if that counts. Really need to see Hedwig and Rocky Horror, plus Phantom of the Paradise, in addition to a bunch of Golden Age classics I still have left. 

26 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Cabaret

Purple Rain

The Lion King

The Wizard of Oz

Singing In The Rain

White Christmas

The Music Man

Anastasia

Hairspray (2007)

Moulin Rouge

100 would be easy. Musicals on my list

Wizard Of Oz

The Music Man

Gigi

Mary Poppins

A Star Is Born (1954)

Beauty & The Beast

Lion King

Singing In The Rain

Oklahoma!

Moana

West Side Story

Cabaret

Also - The Red Shoes, Amadeus,& This Is Spinal Tap if one is so inclined to classify them as such :P

Guys & Dolls, My Fair Lady, The Sound Of Music, American In Paris, The Band Wagon, Rocky Horror,  Gypsy, 1776,  Kiss Me Kate, Fiddler On The Roof, Carousel, Little Mermaid, Aladdin (etc etc) could have made the list as well.

Edited by TalismanRing

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

Probably won't ever show up on my list. But the people who love it are probably only gonna love it more. And it's star wars so it's not like anoyone is gonna forget about it

True. I loved a lot of things about that movie but there were a few things that really held it back from being a perfect film for me. I loved that the film wasn’t afraid to take risks and is one of the more ambitious films in the series but I couldn’t help to think that it could’ve been more streamlined and trimmed some fat off of that two and a half hour plus running time.

I mean, I’ll see how my thoughts hold up over time. I remember reading that Empire Strikes Back divided a lot of people when it was first initially released then it grew to be one of the most beloved films ever. So we’ll see.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

You might be the first person I've encountered who actually likes Anchors Aweigh. I thought it was basically On the Town with 150% of its running time and about 1% of its energy. George Sidney is my nemesis for that one and The Harvey Girls. 

Is that the film where Jerry from Tom and Jerry dances with Gene Kelly?