The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

I can't really judge but wowee, the recency bias is strong. 

I can proudly proclaim that I was able to avoid the recency bias. I only had seven movies from 2010+ (Blue Jasmine, Easy A, Girls Trip, Gone Girl, Inception, Prisoners and Toy Story 3) in my list with just one of those being a 2017 film which stands no chance of appearing in the final 100. That being said, TLJ and Logan were my #2 and #3 films from 2017 and I have no issues with their appearance as both are great films.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

This is the first time it’s appeared :sparta: 

This goes back to a conversation I was having with @Thrylos 7 in the Suspiria thread about remakes.  This kind of illustrates my point that a remake or even a mention in a popular film of an older movie can get a new generation of people to watch a film that they might not have ever thought twice about.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

This goes back to a conversation I was having with @Thrylos 7 in the Suspiria thread about remakes.  This kind of illustrates my point that a remake or even a mention in a popular film of an older movie can get a new generation of people to watch a film that they might not have ever thought twice about.

Who said the people voting for it watched it? :ph34r: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

FoOtLoOsE?

Yea, it's Almost Paradise that it made the list.  So Let's Hear it for The Boy for getting it on here.  I need a hero from time to time and I think we found one.  I'll be Dancing in the Sheets tonight with joy just knowing that I just gotta cut loose, Footloose.  I'm Free to do so.  :sparta:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

I'm not really in the mood to get into much of a sociological debate right now especially since, as mentioned, I do enjoy Princess Bride plenty (in fact I'm pretty certain it was in my Top 100) but I will point out that this why we kinda need a critical eye on this stuff. Because really think about what you've just written. That it's okay for the female lead to relatively useless and a damsel in this movie because it's a story for young boys and that that's just normal for this sort of story. And now think about why that might be problematic in its wider implications and what it says about our media/society as a whole.

Again, not saying Buttercup needed to be the protagonist or sole focus or anything like that, or that it's solely (or primarily) a problem with Princess Bride or even that it's an unforgivable problem. It's just something to think on, perhaps.

Do you wanna know a funny coincidence? We actually talked today in class about gender fluidity and gender expectations from society in general, it was quite an interesting discussion.

I don't disagree with anything you've just said.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Yea, it's Almost Paradise that it made the list.  So Let's Hear it for The Boy for getting it on here.  I need a hero from time to time and I think we found one.  I'll be Dancing in the Sheets tonight with joy just knowing that I just gotta cut loose, Footloose.  I'm Free to do so.  :sparta:

YYXOvMc.thumb_jpg1.50d6211bf8fe70340cb3d

• Haha 1

Can't believe The Departed never made the list before, not that I was the only one to have it at the top 10, it's so damn great.

Is this footlo see thing serious? I didn't know it was that well regarded. Did people make it surrogate Infinity War?

1 minute ago, ThiagoMaia said:

Can't believe The Departed never made the list before, not that I was the only one to have it at the top 10, it's so damn great.

Is this footlo see thing serious? I didn't know it was that well regarded. Did people make it surrogate Infinity War?

Only thing I can think of. 

20 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I've only seen the mediocre remake of Footloose.

Well, seeing Julianne Hough in daisy dukes and cowboy boots is enough reason to see that movie.  

58987ce84745ef5d65a0022bb5db62ae.jpg

• Like 1