The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

22 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

2. Once Upon a Time in the West

3. Duck You Sucker

4. For a Few Dollars More

5. Fistful of Dollars

Not Ranked Since It's Not a Western But On the Same Level as West: Once Upon a Time in America

And not a bad film in that list

• Like 2

Sorry, not trying to one-up anyone with their viewings of movies but I have definitely seen Jaws over 1,000 times. I basically lost count.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

silence_of_the_lambs2-e1442158573847.jpg

Number 26

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Orion Pictures Cooperation, Directed by Jonathan Demme (97 Points, 14 Votes)

ba4f1459c4ddc6b3b89990d779f19e39-d5iqm4j

"Well, Clarice - have the lambs stopped screaming?"

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 10 Placements: 5

Top 25 Placements: 10

Previous Rankings: 2016 (58, +32), 2014 (76, +50), 2013 (69, +43), 2012 (80, +54)

Awards Count: Won 5 Oscars, Including Best Picture

Tomatometer: 95% (8.7 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 130.7m (284.5m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A young F.B.I. cadet must receive the help of an incarcerated and manipulative cannibal killer to help catch another serial killer, a madman who skins his victims.

Critic Opinion: "IN "THE SILENCE of the Lambs," Anthony Hopkins makes the most unforgettable anti-entrance of any screen villain in years. His character, Hannibal Lecter, a psychiatrist and serial killer with a taste for eating his victims, does not enter in the conventional sense, since the movie really comes to him. When it arrives, he is as still as a guillotine blade perched to drop. 

With "The Silence of the Lambs," Demme reaffirms his position as the most adaptable of Hollywood directors since John Huston. You wouldn't know it was a Demme film but for the credits and a wry attention to mise-en-scene: a copy of Bon Appetit magazine in Hannibal's cell and an obstacle course sign that reads "HURT, AGONY, PAIN. LOVE IT." Perhaps the only joke sicker than these is the studio's notion to release the film on Valentine's Day. Be mine, indeed." - Jan Stuart

User Opinions: "Off the charts A+++. Off course Sir Anthony was brilliant as Hannibal. Excellent performance. And who could forget Buffalo Bill dancing around naked, lol? The writing was brilliant.But the best part of this for me was Jodie Foster aka Agent Starling. As a woman, I love it when women are representing on screen as women and not some super woman. She played the role of a "green" agent to a tee. When she was alone in the house tracking Buffalo Bill I thought I was gonna come out of my skin. She was fukkin' scared but remained calm and kept moving forward. That was some awesome work by Foster. She gets it right. There are only two other female's work in cinema that are on that level of intensity to me. Linda Hamilton in Terminator and Sigourney Weaver in Alien. The way they played their roles put you right there with them as they were going toward the unknown. It's so funny because Meg Ryan was the front runner for Agent Starling and she turned it down. The director did not want Foster and the studio did not want Hopkins so they reached a compromise. Biography Chanenl did a really nice story on the making of the Silence of the Lambs. They just don't make movies like this anymore."  - @ecstasy

"One of my favorite filmsA+ creepy as hell"  - @narniadis

Commentary: The Silence of the Lambs makes it onto our list, and much higher than it ever has been before, in fact last year was the highest at number 58, and it still jumped 32 slots higher than that year.  Similar to how Get Out took the Oscar-horror path from February, Silence did the same, and it also managed to come out as the only horror film to ever win the Best Picture Oscar.  The film is engaging, thrilling and haunting, with two powerful center stage performances from both Foster and Hopkins.  The horror genre has been notoriously known in the past for being campy, and doing rather poorly with critics, however The Silence of the Lambs (as well as many of our modern horror films) have proven there's no reason horror cannot be a more effective art genre than traditional dramas, comedies or thrillers.  39% of the users who submitted lists included The Silence of the Lambs on their list.

Decade Count: 90s (17), '00s (13), 10s (12), 80s (12), 70s (8), 60s (6), 50s (4), 40s (2), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (59), 80%-90% (12), 70%-80% (3)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (2), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (2), 600m (1), 500m (2), 400m (8), 300m (6), 200m (12), 100m (14), Under 100m (23)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (3), Ridley Scott (3), Damien Chazelle (2), Francis Ford Copolla (2), David Fincher (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Martin Scorsese (2), Steven Spielberg (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Lee Unkrich (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), John Musker (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Robert Zemeckis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (10), Pixar (6), James Cameron (3), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), Marvel (2), WDAS (2), Steven Spielberg (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Nemo (1), The Godfather (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1)

Genre Count: Drama (27), Adventure (25), VFX Driven (21), Fantasy (19), Thriller (19), Sci-Fi (18), Epic (18), Comedy (17), Action (15), Family/Children (15), Period Piece (13), Romance (12), Animation (11), Sequel (11), Novel Adaption (11), Crime/Noir (11), Indie (11), Tragedy (9), Horror (9), War (8), Musical (6), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (5), Western (5), Melodrama (4), Romantic Comedy (4), Spy/Detective (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

0*nzaUfBFMw7AgMDja.jpg

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 19

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Sorry, not trying to one-up anyone with their viewings of movies but I have definitely seen Jaws over 1,000 times. I basically lost count.

That is...over 5,000 days spent on that film, which is equivalent to 13.7 years

Edited by That One Guy

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

To the best of my knowledge, Jaws is not a 120 hour long movie.

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I think your math is a little off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The story for Jaws is that I got it for my 16th birthday on VHS from my grandmother. It was the best gift anyone had ever gotten me up until that point. I used to watch that movie every night when I went to bed. I would settle in and throw it into the VCR and just watch it. I did that for about 3 years straight. I didn't watch it straight through every night because I would always fall asleep sometimes but many nights I made it right through. I still watch it perhaps once every couple of months. It's just a movie I will never get tired of and it's completely Flawless in my opinion.

• Like 3

the-shawshank-redemption-51b63f8d5e7b8.j

Number 25

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Columbia Pictures, Directed by Frank Darabont (98 Points, 23 Votes)

the-shawshank-redemption_u-L-F4PY9U0.jpg

"Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'"

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 5 Placements: 3

Top 10 Placements: 4

Top 25 Placements: 8

Previous Rankings: 2016 (18, -7), 2014 (14, -11), 2013 (22, -3), 2012 (24, -1)

Awards Count: Nominated for 7 Oscars, Including Best Picture

Tomatometer: 91% (8.2 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 28.3m (61m Adjusted)

Synopsis: Two imprisoned men bond over a number of years, finding solace and eventual redemption through acts of common decency.

Critic Opinion: "This is simply marvelous entertainment that breathes life into a genre that I thought had been dead for a decade-the prison picture. But to call "The Shawshank Redemption" a prison picture is as accurate as calling "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" a hospital picture. Those are the settings of these similar films, but they really are inspirational dramas of individuals struggling against overbearing authority.

"The Shawshank Redemption" comes out of nowhere in the sense that it is a first feature film by Frank Darabont, who, with this one work, declares himself a special talent. He adapted King's story for the screen and insisted on directing the story too, much in the same way that Sylvester Stallone could not be pried loose from "Rocky." Guts equals glory." - Gene Siskel

User Opinions: "I cried manly tears at the end." - @Caboose

"Monumentally powerful and inspiring film that will likely never be topped in those areas.I still find it utterly shocking that Forrest Goddamn Gump won BP over this."  - @Ozymandias

"I just rewatched this for the first time since I was in middle school, and while it is not my personal favorite film of all-time, I think this is as close to a perfect film as there will ever be. Every single thing works. What an uplifting masterpiece.Can't be anything besides an A+"  - @Cmasterclay

Commentary: While this may be the lowest this film has placed (by a slight margin), The Shawshank Redemption still saw quite an amount of love from these forums.  The movie is an intimate, and rather quiet prison drama, that takes it's time building an atmosphere that almost feels as if you're being suffocated in this prison with the characters.  When the climax of the movie finally hits, it feels like a sudden release, a burst of energy as if you're in Andy's shoes.  There's plenty of emotional moments, thoughts over humanity, some commentary on criminal justice issues that are still prevalent (from problems with proper rehabilitation, redemption and injustice) and an ending that personally left me weeping, it's the most I had ever cried from a film.  The Shawshank Redemption wound up on 39% of the lists submitted with an average score of 4.3.

Decade Count: 90s (18), '00s (13), 10s (12), 80s (12), 70s (8), 60s (6), 50s (4), 40s (2), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (60), 80%-90% (12), 70%-80% (3)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (2), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (2), 600m (1), 500m (2), 400m (8), 300m (6), 200m (12), 100m (14), Under 100m (24)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (3), Ridley Scott (3), Damien Chazelle (2), Francis Ford Copolla (2), David Fincher (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Martin Scorsese (2), Steven Spielberg (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Lee Unkrich (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Frank Darabont (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), John Musker (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Robert Zemeckis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (10), Pixar (6), James Cameron (3), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), Marvel (2), WDAS (2), Steven Spielberg (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Nemo (1), The Godfather (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1)

Genre Count: Drama (28), Adventure (25), VFX Driven (21), Fantasy (19), Thriller (19), Sci-Fi (18), Epic (18), Comedy (17), Action (15), Family/Children (15), Period Piece (13), Romance (12), Novel Adaption (12), Crime/Noir (12), Animation (11), Sequel (11), Indie (11), Tragedy (9), Horror (9), War (8), Musical (6), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (5), Western (5), Melodrama (4), Romantic Comedy (4), Spy/Detective (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

ddf070ff8bdee225681f4fb3ffe80bd9--the-sh

• Like 19

40 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

It's actually something like 83 days or so.  I'm pretty sure you spent more time than that ranting about Monster Trucks or something like that.

• Haha 10

This was back when I saw films multiple times in theaters.  But I remember going to a dollar theater to watch Shawshank.  I think I saw it four more times there. Even to this day in the rare occasion that it’s on

Spoiler

:P

it sucks me in no matter what point it’s at

• Like 1

By the time I'm done with this next write-up, half of your theories over which fanboy film missed will still exist.

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Man this next one's a real sleeper!

inception_facebook_cover_1346752883-face

Number 24

Inception (2010)

Warner Brothers, Directed by Christopher Nolan (102 Points, 26 Votes)

617c0a17597637.562bc1556d7d1.jpg

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling."

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 10 Placements: 5

Top 25 Placements: 10

Previous Rankings: 2016 (22, -2), 2014 (10, -14), 2013 (24, No Change), 2012 (14, -10)

Awards Count: Won 4 Oscars, Nominated for Best Picture

Tomatometer: 86% (8.1 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 292.6m (347.4m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A thief, who steals corporate secrets through the use of dream-sharing technology, is given the inverse task of planting an idea into the mind of a CEO.

Critic Opinion: "What in the name of almighty summer blockbusters is Inception? Is it a mind-warping science-fiction epic, a rebooted Matrix for Generation Z? A paranoid corporate thriller and one-last-job heist movie? An Odyssey of delayed homecoming? The greatest Philip K. Dick story that Dick never wrote? Or is it a grief-soaked ode to the Freudian subconscious — a layered, labyrinthine meditation on the seduction and impact of dreams?

It's all of the above. And I'll tell you what else it is: spellbinding. Transporting. Damn-near indescribable. What's more, it's only the latest indication that Christopher Nolan might be the slyest narrative tactician making movies today. Anything that can be said about the film (and I'll say some of it in a moment) will likely baffle viewers with a low tolerance for noodle-twisting sci-fi, computer-dazzled effects or Leonardo DiCaprio. But don't hold any of that against this extraordinary movie, a profoundly strange - and strangely profound - spelunking trip through the cavernous human psyche."  - Amy Biancolli

User Opinions: "Amazing movie. So many memorable scenes. I think I was obsessed with this movie/Nolan/the cast for the rest of that year. The only reason I even saw Looper was because I thought it'd be as good as Inception (it wasn't even close). Definitely in my top 5. One of the few movies I've seen twice in theaters and many times since. I wish I could see it in theaters again, hopefully it's one of those movies that gets re-released sometime in the future. The score is also amazing, especially Time."  - @Deja23

"Seriously, the first thing I noticed was the wobble at the end, so I was like, yep, probably real. And I prefer it that way. I'd like to think Cobb got his happy ending so to speak. The wedding ring evidence (which seems a little more than intentional) I think would support that.

First viewing is a pretty intense and gripping experience, but the over-reliance on expository dialogue makes this one more of a chore to get through with repeat viewings. Some great performances from Leo and Tom Hardy, and JGL was fine as well. The 2nd half is still very entertaining for me to watch. 8/10. Middle of the pack Nolan film."  - @MrPink showing again that he is not a true Nolanite

Commentary: A few of Christopher Nolan's movies that have previously made it, such as The Dark Knight Rises, The Prestige and Interstellar have been confirmed to not be on this list, but that doesn't mean the Nolanites didn't come in force to support him.  Or maybe they weren't Nolanites and people just like this movie?  Nah it must have been the Nolanites.  Inception is a fine addition to Nolan's Dead Wife Cinematic Universe, and immerses you into the scenes of the twisting buildings and such.  It's also further proof that Nolan can only have a 200m+ DOM hit if the movie features DiCaprio or Batman.  All of the kidding aside, Inception is an intense action spectacle, that keeps your eyes and brain engaged into everything that's going on the entire way through, it also features some strong emotional beats and an iconic ending.  Inception made it onto 43% of the lists submitted, and had an average score of 3.9 from those users.

Decade Count: 90s (18), '00s (13), 10s (13), 80s (12), 70s (8), 60s (6), 50s (4), 40s (2), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (60), 80%-90% (12), 70%-80% (3)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (2), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (2), 600m (1), 500m (2), 400m (8), 300m (7), 200m (12), 100m (14), Under 100m (24)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (3), Ridley Scott (3), Damien Chazelle (2), Francis Ford Copolla (2), David Fincher (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Christopher Nolan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), Steven Spielberg (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Lee Unkrich (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Frank Darabont (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), John Musker (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Robert Zemeckis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (10), Pixar (6), James Cameron (3), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), Dead Wife Cinematic Universe/Nolan (2), Marvel (2), WDAS (2), Steven Spielberg (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Nemo (1), The Godfather (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1)

Genre Count: Drama (28), Adventure (25), VFX Driven (22), Thriller (20), Fantasy (19), Sci-Fi (19), Epic (18), Comedy (17), Action (16), Family/Children (15), Period Piece (13), Romance (12), Novel Adaption (12), Crime/Noir (12), Animation (11), Sequel (11), Indie (11), Tragedy (9), Horror (9), War (8), Musical (6), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (5), Western (5), Melodrama (4), Romantic Comedy (4), Spy/Detective (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

main-qimg-0fa4e7584549faa0af5348a016649d

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2