CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

115-120 isn't a trainwreck for DP2, but it's certainly not good under any circumstance. If you don't understand why then consider that the only superhero sequels this decade to decrease from their predecessor on OW are Age of Ultron, Apocalypse, and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. In AoU's case that's because it was following up the all time OW record. It either had to break the OW record or decrease, so it's not exactly a good comparison. So that simply leaves DP2 in the company of Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and :apocalypse:

except none of those superhero movies were R rated.

Just now, RealLyre said:

except none of those superhero movies were R rated.

Not sure how that really has anything to do with a decrease in OW, unless you're implying that the first's OW is in fact the ceiling for what an R rated movie can open to. That could be possible, but then again DP2 should have still come pretty darn close to that number with another 2 years of inflation. 

What part of comedy sequels to huge hits ALMOST never explode don't people understand? If you guys were expecting 175mil then you set yourself up for disappointment. If Deadpool hits 130-140mil I'd say it's performing as well as can be expected.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Just got back from Deadpool 2. Aside from a somewhat sluggish first thirty minutes, I really enjoyed it. Deadpool is hilarious as ever, and Brolin was a great Cable, also I really liked Domino. Plus more Colossus is never a bad thing. Hopefully it goes up a bit with actuals. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

What part of comedy sequels to huge hits ALMOST never explode don't people understand? If you guys were expect 175mil then you set yourself up for disappointment.

I was expecting 130-140, which I already thought was setting expectations fairly low all things considered. This is the CBM genre at the end of the day, it is extremely abnormal for CBM sequels to open below their predecessors, unless said predecessor wasn't liked. Even then, you have something like BvS still increasing huge from MoS. 

I was expecting 130-140, which I already thought was setting expectations fairly low all things considered. This is the CBM genre at the end of the day, it is extremely abnormal for CBM sequels to open below their predecessors, unless said predecessor wasn't liked. Even then, you have something like BvS still increasing huge from MoS. 

the first movie had novelty and an inflated opening. Not really hard to see why there is a slight decrease

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Just got back from Deadpool 2. Aside from a somewhat sluggish first thirty minutes, I really enjoyed it. Deadpool is hilarious as ever, and Brolin was a great Thanos, also I really liked Domino. Plus more Colossus is never a bad thing. Hopefully it goes up a bit with actuals. 

:hahaha:

And it could still easily do 130-140mil. I don't know why you think it's going to have a massive Saturday drop.

1 minute ago, harrycaul said:

The thing about Deadpool is there's no compelling reason to see it in a theater. It's just as funny at home.

Couldn't that be said of any movie?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

And it could still easily do 130-140mil. I don't know why you think it's going to have a massive Saturday drop.

Royal wedding. Deadpool's target audience would not miss it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frozen said:

So what does Solo have to make to be a disappointment? I need to be prepared.

It's all about expectations. I would say if Solo stalls out at 700 million it would be a disappointment compared to the other SW films.

SW is like the New England Patriots or the Golden State Warriors in sports;anything less then making the Superbowl or the NBA Championship Series is a disappointment given your record.

• Like 1

The first one was on a holiday weekend, it had Valentines Day, it was virtually the first of it’s kind, it was allowed to have 4-6 weeks of free air beforehand with no other tent poles plus it just worked with uber fans and the general public who didn’t know much about the character. 

• Like 1