Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, JB33 said:

I'm definite NOT a leftist but how the hell is Solo about feminism and all that? Like, are folks triggered that easily?

It's not. Some geniuses are boycotting a movie they'd almost certainly enjoy to make a point about the last one.

How they imagine this is going to get them results they want is beyond me.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, JB33 said:

I'm definite NOT a leftist but how the hell is Solo about feminism and all that? Like, are folks triggered that easily?

Cause it has female characters and female characters are bad and SW should be one giant dude fest? 

That's what I gather anyway. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I don't think it's Solo itself. They want KK out and Solo is the most vulnerable of all Disney wars released so far. So they repeat their catch phrases even if they don't fit to show that her politics led to catastrophe. Or something. 

Edited by Valonqar

15 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Solos international numbers should have been expected for the reasons ive already said. RT and  IMBD audience scores are very easy to manipulate since they only need a few thousand people to affect them, especially when they create a dozen fake accounts each.

They were here not expected. Most still expected 400m or so for Solo not sub 300m. You can’t tell me anything about this movie was Expected 

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Episode 9 is going down. An increase is almost a laughable idea at his point 

It'll increase from Solo I think. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

TLJ and Solo only look bad because TFA and RO over performed. I doubt Disney expected RO to do as well as it did, or TFA.

TFA filled a hole for many sure, but it wasn't exactly a compelling story, and didnt make you hunger for more. RO benefited from the hype left in TFA wake. By the time TLJ came round the hype had well and truly burned off and Solo is now just behaving like a SW story thats non-essential. Remember its not even like a Marvel 'solo' movie in that it doesn't tie in to the grander, forward moving story in any way. Despite that its still going to take more than 6 and possibly 7 MCU movies

3 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Ep 9 have Abrams, so I think will pass 600M with a strong chance to beat Titanic and JW

That fact that anyone uses Abrams as a positive influence on a movies gross is a sad reflection on the state of movies today.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

It really was about the female leads in TFA,RO, and TLJ and couple with that the fact Luke wasnt some Superman who came out and said stand aside ladies I have this.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

TLJ and Solo only look bad because TFA and RO over performed. I doubt Disney expected RO to do as well as it did, or TFA.

TFA filled a hole for many sure, but it wasn't exactly a compelling story, and didnt make you hunger for more. RO benefited from the hype left in TFA wake. By the time TLJ came round the hype had well and truly burned off and Solo is now just behaving like a SW story thats non-essential. Remember its not even like a Marvel 'solo' movie in that it doesn't tie in to the grander, forward moving story in any way. Despite that its still going to take more than 6 and possibly 7 MCU movies

A lot of people like TFA. Not everybody did, that's true, but a lot of people still really like TFA. Let's not pretend suddenly everybody hates TFA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, dudalb said:

100% agreed. Not quite the best Star Wars game..I would put the X Wing/Tie Fighter and the first Jedi Knight game above it, but KOTR One is a great game.

And since you can pick it up for around ten bucks ,tweaked to run on a modern computer at www.gog.com you got no excuse for not playing.

If fact, you can pick up almost all of the lucasarts SW games at GOG.all tweaked to run on a modern computer. And they are inexpensive, the first Jedi Knight game is six bucks.

I never heard of the firs jedi knight. Im def going to try playing it now ol

10 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Episode 9 should perform better? Hopefully. But like there's a difference between indifference to SW as a whole and indifference to a Han Solo movie, which even lots of SW fans weren't that interested in seeing.

(And no dropping TLJ dropping from TFA isn't a sign. It was the third SW movie in a year, it increased at least domestically from RO, and everybody expected it to drop.)

Novody expected it to drop. Many still expected 700-800m for Last jedi after the opening weekend even. The idea that TLJ and Solo box office were predicted is revisionism at its finest 

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

A lot of people like TFA. Not everybody did, that's true, but a lot of people still really like TFA. Let's not pretend suddenly everybody hates TFA.

Of course not, but the number is dropping. Its not a movie that does well with hindsight. Its this decades Avatar.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

They were here not expected. Most still expected 400m or so for Solo not sub 300m. You can’t tell me anything about this movie was Expected 

Yeah, spinning is getting ridiculous. Solo was not expected to bomb like a little bitch in SW-friendly markets. We knew it would bomb where SW never had support an where TFA did well only due to hype (that didn't hold for RO and TLJ). But we didn't expect it to collapse in traditional markets. Likewise, saying that Solo boxoffice looks bad only because TFA and RO overperfomed is just :wacko:. Solo's boxoffice is bad no matter how other movies did. It's way too expensive and boxoffice is dismal. OS numbers are embarrassing, not just bad, embarrassing. Dom OW is way below the lowest tracking numbers. There's no shame in calling a bomb bomb. It's a wake up call for the studio to get their shit together. Simple.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

Wow, I couldn't disagree more with most of what you said. You can't put TLJ in some vacuum where TFA didn't make $2b WW just to say that's why it doesn't look as good. The fact is TFA did make that much and TLJ was the direct sequel. It should not have dropped off as huge as it did. A dropoff was inevitable, but a big one should have been easily avoided if it had delivered. As for Solo looking bad, lmao if you think it has anything to do with previous SW films. It'sa  250m budgeted movie that won't touch 500 WW. It just looks bad all on its own, period.

As for TFA not providing a compelling story or making you hunger for more, huh? TFA's plot points and questions were all you heard about in pop culture discussions for two years. It drove TLJ to a massive 220m OW. Fans and most of the GA were extremely eager to know the answers to some of TFA's setups. The movie also had the best multi of any film to ever open to 100+ at the time, so not sure how exactly it managed that kind of WOM without being compelling.

I agree with you RO was a beneficiary of the TFA hype and goodwill, but you'll note my usage of the word goodwill since that's mainly what it was at that point. Not just mindless hype. 

• Like 5

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Novody expected it to drop. Many still expected 700-800m for Last jedi after the opening weekend even. The idea that TLJ and Solo box office were predicted is revisionism at its finest 

Going from 900 million to 700-800 million is...still a drop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Yeah, spinning is getting ridiculous. Solo was not expected to bomb like a little bitch in SW-friendly markets. We knew it would bomb where SW never had support an where TFA did well only due to hype (that didn't hold for RO and TLJ). But we didn't expect it to collapse in traditional markets. Likewise, saying that Solo boxoffice looks bad only because TFA and RO overperfomed is just :wacko:. Solo's boxoffice is bad no matter how other movies did. It's way too expensive and boxoffice is dismal. OS numbers are embarrassing, not just bad, embarrassing. Dom OW is way below the lowest tracking numbers. There's no shame in calling a bomb bomb. It's a wake up call for the studio to get their shit together. Simple.  

A little from column A and a little from column B.

On 4/4/2018 at 7:09 PM, Goffe said:

I’m starting to think this is going to do ~75m for the OW. Hype doesn’t seem to be there for a +100m opening.

Seems like it'll outgross my prediction by 20m.

Resounding success. :sparta:

Edited by Goffe